Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Good all-rounder rear 29+ tyre?
  • slowboydickie

I’m set on a Dirt Wizard for the front. What is good on the rear that will last all through the winter?

Cheers
    Rich

fin25
    Free Member

Another dirt wizard? I only say this because when things get sloppy, the extra tread on the DW will be useful. Other plus tyres tend to have pretty shallow treads and will wash out in mud quite quickly.
    If you want a bit of slide in the back end, the Bonty Cupacabra is pretty decent, as is the Maxxis Chronicle, both roll well and grip very well in dryish conditions. The Knard would match best from an aesthetic point of view, but is not good at all in the slop.
    For winter, I would go with the dirt wizard front and back, surly seem happy with them on the 27 plus karate monkey.

chestrockwell

I found the Specialized Purgatory 2.3 to be great all year round for the last couple.

Just been out on a Maxxis Minion for the first time today and that seems good also.

rOcKeTdOg

Vittoria bomboloni

slowboydickie

Vittoria bomboloni

Sounds like an Italian footballer’s wife. Rocketdog have you tried one in the slop? DW will be what I get for the rear if I can’t find a grippier fast-rollier option.

slowboydickie

Has anyone tried a Vee Tire Bulldozer 29″?

Link to tyre

ajantom

Yes just fitted the Vee on the back of my Krampus. Very good so far. Rolls vet well, good grip, and went up tubeless very easily.

Gotama
    Free Member

Rich – I’ve got a bomboloni on the front of the Jones at the mo, can’t imagine it would be any better than something like an Ardent 2.4 in the mud. I’d certainly expect you to struggle for climbing traction when the dry loamy loveliness turns to mud.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Last two http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIBOM/vittoria-bomboloni-tyre £34 each (one of a few things I’ve spotted that don’t list anywhere unless you search for them, just like the £5 WTB Volt and the £13 special On One edition)

slowboydickie

Thanks Steve for the feedback on the Vittoria. I selected a Maxxis Chronicle for the rear based on some good reviews that is it not terrible in mud, and a good all-rounder. If it is crap please don’t tell me. If it doesn’t work I will have to get another DW.

And thanks Nobody for the link.

sillyoldman

Bombolonis are about the worst I’ve tried. Awful, awful compound. Shame, as on paper they look promising.

Anyone want to buy some very little used Bombolonis? 😉

One 29+ and one 650+.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Good all-rounder rear 29+ tyre?’ is closed to new replies.