Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gone 1×10 – Skipping chain; 2nd opinion please…
  • dsb181
    Free Member

Okay so this could be a simple fix or could be more tinkering required.

I swapped over to 1×10 today, Hope IBR & guide, plus new KMC chain with magic link( i think thats what its called)
    The chain is skipping under pressure in the 11 & 13 gears.

The bike is just under 6 months old and was only at .75 on the chain checker tool.

Is a worn cassette causing this skipping/slipping or possibly something else?

I’m guessing that I’ll need a new cassette, just wanted a 2nd opinion as to what might be causing it.

If so can somebody recommend me a 10 speed Shimano one please

Thanks!!!

jdwafc
    Free Member

Possibly cassette (check if teeth are hooked) but also to be sure, check cable tension and reset the high & low screws on mech, tinker with the barrel adjuster on shifter to finely adjust.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

1×10

10speed.

Gears 11 & 13???

Excuse the daft question but, how???

jdwafc
    Free Member

He means sprocket not gear (11& 13 teeth on sprocket)

dsb181
    Free Member

Yea sorry if that was a bit confusing. I have adjusted the limit screws the best I can, I’m a bit of a novice, but will have another fiddle. If I put the old chain on and find it doesn’t slip would that point to the worn cassette?

unovolo
    Free Member

Might be worth checking the chain alignment between main chainring and cassette,as the cogs you mention are the 2 smallest/highest gears there may be too much crossover from the cranks and the chain is trying to ride up to the next cog under load.

dsb181
    Free Member

I didn’t get a chance last night but will try to fix it today. I don’t think it’s the indexing because it was shifting really well yesterday but I’ll have another look.

Chainline is a possibility, the chainring is mounted on the inside of the spider & I’ve not used any shims because this would have pushed it in closer to the seat tube. The other option would be to mount it on the outside of the spider but I’m not sure that would work? I just assumed that it was supposed to be mounted on the inside?

singlecrack
    Free Member

I had this when I first went 10 speed …..the chain I used (can’t remember which ) the links are to wide in depth …so when it rolled over the 11 sprocket the chain would not lay in the teeth properly because of the small radius of the sprocket and so would rise up on the teeth allowing it to skip …changed to shimano chain …problem solved …….

But it woul work ok on 13t sprocket ..so may not be this problem

dsb181
    Free Member

Thanks for that singlecrack, the chain I fitted is a KMC X10 93.

Was the problem you experienced obvious when you were off the bike and just peddling the chain round with your hand?

When I peddle the chain round using my hand and the bike in the stand it works fine and I don’t notice any problems, it backpedals too without dropping. As I mentioned above it happens about every 2/3 pedal stroke when it’s under load.

Northwind

FWIW I have an X10-93 on 10-speed and no problems at all so I doubt it’s the chain. Cassette wear does seem the obvious one tbh, assuming all the adjustments are right

singlecrack
    Free Member

I only noticed when under load …..I managed to put it on a stand and pedal it with my hand and held the back brake gently applying more pressure

My set up was all brand new cassette / front / ring / chain ….so that ruled out wear on my part

Like I said it may not be the same problem

Just checked as I still have the old chain ( it was only used for one ride) Its a connex wipperman

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Cassette wear, seems a bit fast in 6 months? And also the 11T is usually one of the least worn, the climbing sprockets tend the get the most wear (not always mind). How does it look, are the teeth hooked/shark finned?

Maybe you could upload a close up photo of the block?

If the old chain works fine you can pretty much rule out indexing, limit screws, bent hangers and etc.

What sort of magic link are you using? If its a 9spd (gold) link that could do it.

Possibly its just a new chain that needs to settle in a bit.

dsb181
    Free Member

Okay so i put the old chain on and I wasn’t having the problem, it was working fine standing up under load, something that I wasn’t confident enough to do using the new chain because it was slipping while sat down and peddling.

The old chain is the one that came with the bike originally, a Shimano one that is now stretched to .75 on the chain tool, the 1. end still doesn’t fit in.
    What is it best to do here? I’d rather buy a new cassette rather than continue to use the old chain because presumably it will wear the chainring out much quicker?

As I say I don’t know what to look for to know if the cassette is worn? Does that look like it needs replacing?

Sorry for all the novice questions, I’m really grateful for the help and advice you have all offered, thank you all very much.

cyclewerx

Hi
    Presuming you are using a 10 speed chain I suspect its your cassette.
    Over the years I’ve found when I’ve replaced the drive train but not the chain it slips under pressure. Putting a new chain on has always fixed this problem.

dsb181
    Free Member

Are the photos working?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Cassette doesn’t look too bad really… In the first picture there looks to be a bit of wear but not much (it could be dirt build up tho), the second picture it looks pretty good. By comparison my block is shagged but it still takes a new chain ok.

Before spending on a new block its worth seeing if the chain settles down after a few km gentle riding. Some times that happens.

I’m assuming you are using a 10spd power link? A 9spd one may catch every few stokes as you describe.

nikk
    Free Member

The cassette is worn enough to cause a new chain to skip. Replace the cassette, or run the old chain and run the drivechain into the ground, then replace the lot.

dsb181
    Free Member

Thank you very much nikk this is what I’ll do.

Again thank you all for contributing.

dsb181
    Free Member

UPDATE:

I brought a new XT Cassette and changed the gear cable and housing and it’s shifting like a dream!
    It’s amazing how much difference it has made, it feels better than when I brought the bike new.

Toying with the idea of a Zee rear mech now as my jockey wheels are quite worn on my XT mech and they cost almost a third of the price of the Zee unit.

Just a big thank you to everybody that gave me advice!!

scaredypants

BBB jockeys are under a tenner, I think

njee20
    Free Member

Cassette wear, seems a bit fast in 6 months? And also the 11T is usually one of the least worn

Think about that… If you spend an equal time in each sprocket the smallest will wear fastest. I know the 11t is one of the most worn on my cassette.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gone 1×10 – Skipping chain; 2nd opinion please…’ is closed to new replies.