Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Golfy Wet Screem
  • fergal
    Free Member

The Enduroists seem to cry it’s not so bad in the wet, my experience in the wet so far is a few runs of 3g and Repeat offender, care to share any advice on surviving the steeper trails, i think i have the right tyre combo now anyhow!.

chickenman

I have to admit my cautious approach to riding steep stuff does not put me in good stead at the Golfie when it’s sloppy. Looking at those who do manage better I would suggest proper weighting of the front wheel would be the way forward…I’m not really prepared to try though! 🙂
    No Social is one that is often dry when others are minging.

andypandy85
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack your thread, was just about to start one then saw this! Looking to head to the Golfie fit the first time this weekend, but I’ve only ever ridden Inners starting from the car park at the bottom of the DH runs. How do I get across to the trails that’ll be rideable? Cheers!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Golfy’s grippier when it’s wet than when it’s bone dry, fact- mud is easier to deal with than crumbly biscuit. And you can’t argue because I said fact, fact.

TBH you’ve mostly got to be comfortable with a bit of slide, regardless of tyre it’s going to happen sometimes. Lots of looseness and relaxed posture and keep the front wheel as nailed down as you can (because that’s easy to do when you’re shiteing it). Good brake management helps me, probably better riders would think less so because they’ll be going faster but for me it’s important to eke out all the braking I can on some of them 😆

@andypandy65, if you just ride up the forest road that goes up behind the golf club (at the first junction stay left, at the second junction at the quarry turn right), you’ll soon see trails appearing. TBH on a first visit it could make sense to just stay lower, some of the best trails are off this road- repeat offender and flat white and various others.

I suppose the only trick to navigation is finding the singletrack climb up off the road- it comes off the left hand side not long after the top of flat white. That leads you up to the reservoir (big concrete building) which is kind of bang in the centre of most of the trails.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

As Northwnd says it’s pretty good in the wet!
    Maintain speed to help keep tyres clear. Keep the front weighted.

Andy, if coming from peebles, instead of going right towards inners trails continue through town, then turn left just after the rbs bank. There is a small carpark on the right, or you can try parking at the actual golf course further up (though they can be a bit moaney at times!)

riklegge

I rode Golfie for the first time a week ago, amazing trails! They were pretty easy to find as Northwind describes, I found that a little bit of searching segments on Strava and comparing to the map helped.

fergal
    Free Member

But there must be limits, do people still ride Wolf of Wall street in deepest winter, if so bravo.

I think i might give No social a go,Repeat offender is fine in the wet, it’s getting dialed in to the steepness, still have some of the more escoteric lines to ride “Nae Spleens” can’t be that bad.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Or wait 5 minutes at the Golf course, somebody will be along to show you.

BoardinBob

One thing Ive never found lacking at the golfy is grip on the main trails, regardless of weather.

Some of the less used stuff can be slippy but the main trails are worn right in and steep enough that they don’t hold much water.

supertacky
    Free Member

We ride the Golfie all year round. As others have said its more a need to weight the front and be sympathetic on the brakes whilst keeping rotation enough to clear your tyres.
    Crisp / Frosty days are amazing up there.

The less used/scrubbed trails can become greasy.

Stick to the most used ones

Kahurangi

Get off the brakes and embrace the fear* 😆

If it’s wet, your shorts will be brown on the inside as well as outside.

*by no means a golfie master

arogers
    Free Member

I’ve heard the theory that the golf is grippier in the wet than dry before, tbh, I don’t buy it. That said, it’s still very rideable and great fun!

Some things that help me:

Tyres – get the right ones. Shorty/DHR2 is my default choice in the wet. Then, crucially, don’t put too much air in them!

As per Tracey Moseley – Point and shoot. Trying to steer round slippy roots or brake on them is futile. Look for your next safe turning/braking spot, find the straight line towards that and commit to it. Ride that line loose and relaxed. Accept that the bike will squirm under you but will still hold that line.

For the most part, the front wheel is for steering only. This is not really true but it helps me to keep telling myself that. Those crucial, steep, slippy turns require that you put the front wheel in the right place. Don’t fall into the panic trap of front wheel braking when you should be steering. You can hit those turns much faster than you think, providing you find the catch berm/rut with the front wheel and it’s not locked solid!

Man, NZ is brilliant and all, but I miss the Golfy!

beano68
    Free Member

Was there yesterday and it was wet and minging but the grip was amazing ! never ridden a place that still retains so much grip in poor conditions.

Magic Mary front and DHR2 rear … perfect

As arogers said, once on the steep loom stuff you have to be committed and have confidence, found some trails intimidating but no issues with grip .. best place I’ve ever ridden

fergal
    Free Member

Good to hear, was that on the main thoroughfares! or the more obscure.

Thinking of Inners DH tracks tomorrow, but maybe persuaded.

balfa
    Free Member

But there must be limits, do people still ride Wolf of Wall street in deepest winter, if so bravo.

Have to agree, the steep bit before you get to the clearing on Wolf of Wall street is seriously tough in the Wet. I’ve tried it twice in the wet and have no plans to do so again! I always imagine that it requires full commitment to do it justice! I can’t think of anything else up there thats as tough though. Perhaps it will get easier once it wears down to something grippier!

fergal
    Free Member

This is the thing, i’m not really into combat riding, i’m not Joe Barnes and being a control freak, i like to stack the odds in my favour.

As i said the main trails are fine, but i would get pretty bored riding those on a continuous loop.

fergal
    Free Member

PS. I did Wolf of Wall street early Autumn, good conditions, damp, but that would hold it together, full on, full commitment needed, which i didn’t do on one corner with a sniper root, loved the challenge, next time clean.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Golfy Wet Screem’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts