Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Golfers Elbow caused by mountain biking – any helpful suggestions?
  • Grupper205
    Free Member

I don't play golf, but mountain biking (XC) has caused me to have what I think is called 'Golfers Elbow', for the last 6 weeks. Has anybody else had this condition through mountain biking, and how can I get back to normal without giving up biking for a period of time.

I've tried Ibuprofen before taking the bike out which helps mask the pain a little, and I've tried ice packs afterwards. It's starting to get on my nerves now so any help will be greatly received!
    Andy.

boxelder

Fatter grips, or hang on less tightly.
    (You're not wearing tartan troos and an Argyle sweater to ride are you?)
    😉

myheadsashed

Golfers elbows is that from banging hookers and random tarts in Tigger Woods kinda way? 😯

woody2000

If it's a repetetive strain type injury, then giving up for a short period will probably be more effective than trying to cure while riding. Check your position, maybe try some ergo type grips?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I'm currently seeing a physio for Tennis elbow, and the advice there is not to rest, yes, it will seem to get better, but then as soon as you return to normal activities the pain will return.

He reconed the ligament damage leaves scar tissue like most injuries, so little and frequent stretching exercise are the way to go, this included the electric shock type things during visits to him.

No idea if Golfers is the same, that's on the inside of the forearm as opposed to tennis on the outside I believe.

psilocybe
    Free Member

I've had tennis elbow since around dec 2009, yes golfers elbow is the same afaik. Mine is a result of the gym and mountain biking and the fact that I cant supinate my forearms anything over 70%. I have nearly got rid but this is the hard time for me cos I tend to be an all or nothing type of person and can easily damage it again by doing too much in a short period of time. Rest, Ice, Stretch, some people respond better to Heat than Cold, gradually build strength back up with specific exercises.
    Hope that helps.

parisroubaix

I agree with PikeBN14, best bet is physio to demonstrate specific stretching exercises, which will encourage healing and prevention of re-injury. Don't let anyone inject it, it would improve rapidly over 2 weeks, but all the evidence is that long term likely to be more troublesome.
    Golfers elbow is pain in the medial (meaning nearer the inside of you body) epicodoyle (sticky out bit) of the humerous (upper arm bone), tennis elbow the lateral epicondoyle (side facing away from the body).
    Ergo grips wont do any harm at all, try the Ergon range or similar.

Grupper205
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I best book an appointment to see my GP…….probably have to wait 12 months for a physio appointment!

MrOvershoot

Some good info there chaps, I'm in agony with what from the above info is Tennis elbow 🙁

Have kept it moving with nothing too silly but just like stretching

porter_jamie

can you get mtb elbow playing golf?

i used to get horrific pains in my arms motorbike racing, and realised it was because i held on too tightly. also have you tried stretches before and after, and ice packs.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Golfers Elbow, your lucky its not Golfers Ball!
    M

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Golfers Elbow caused by mountain biking – any helpful suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.