Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Golf vs Focus
  • kimbers

if youre having a kid space is a big factor

focus wins, most importantly can get a croozer trailer in the back (bikes on the saris bones) with 2 seats folded down and still have the kid in a car seat
    weve just had a 2nd child and im thinking about upgrading ours to an s-max/ c-max

wurzelcube
    Free Member

what about an approved used 4 or 5 year old 1 Series? Drives nicely, comfortable, looks nice and will do well on retaining some of its value.

legend
    Free Member

Having just sold a 1-series I can assure you that they are tiny in the back (seats and boot) compared to a Golf or Focus

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yep – the old 1 series are bad for kids. The new one is a hundred times better (we’ve had both).

But back to the OP – a golf is nice, a tad rough on the road / bumps, basic spec, can be expensive (esp on pcp), and not as nice to have as a hire car for two weeks as a focus.

Basically, get a focus imo.

haggis1978

Golf all the way. But I do drive the MK5 R32 and thus isn’t really comparable to the entry level model. This my 2nd golf though and both cars have never missed a beat. Im actually in a similar situation in that I’m looking for a family car for the wife. Am going for a MK5 Golf GT Sport for her. Get one with low mileage that’s been looked after. Modern diesel engines are easy good for 200k miles. You can easy get 3 years out of a car like that and thus is better than any lease deal to, plus looks and drives better than any entry level model.

euans2
    Free Member

We have a Focus TDCI at work, we use it 24/7 (at an international airport) and TBH considering the amount of abuse it takes it’s still going strong, it’s done over 110k miles in 3 years, it’s had all the usual consumables replaced (to be expected with any car)Would I buy one over a Golf…. No!

The build quality of the VW is just so much better (I have had various Golfs in the past and now own a B7 Audi A4) Yes you don’t get as much for your money (equipment levels)but you will find that consumables (clutches, bushes, exhausts etc etc) all last much longer

hora
    Free Member

I only went the leasing route as I was stuck what to buy and 300 upfront+100 a month for 15k on two years seemed a good deal. Anything more than 150@month and you’d be better off looking at other options IMO.

I’d rather my neighbours see a Golf on my drive but I’d rather own a Focus. Hands down.

amplebrew

We’ve have a new 2012 shape Focus in work now for a good few months as a patrol car and whilst it looks a much nicer car than the previous model, many of us prefer our older shape (2011) car.

Both are 1.6 tdci’s its easy to do a direct comparison.

The new shape feels a lot smaller inside, the pedals are really close together and the seats are really firm if you’re in the car for a number of hours.

There is also an annoying corner piece of the dashboard that everyone bangs their knee on as they get in and the dashboard is just a mess of buttons.

The new model certainly handles and grips much better than the previous model, but as an A to B car; I’d personally rather buy a low mileage 2011 shape Focus if you want a Ford. Maybe on Ford Direct to get a 2 year warranty?

hora
    Free Member

Also looks a lot smaller in the back? How do your taller non-paying passengers fair??

amplebrew

hora – Member
    Also looks a lot? smaller in the back? How do your taller non-paying passengers fair??

There is much less leg room in the back and the new model also feels much more enclosed.

We have a very roomy Transit van for any passengers.

hora
    Free Member

😆

aP
    Free Member

I don’t really worry too much about cars. We have 1.8tdci focus estate. It starts, stops, goes round corners, has been cheap to run and trouble free. Oh, and we got 40% off list price from new so with the trade in from my old berlingo it cost about the same to buy as my road bike.
    In the end, all it comes down to is buy what suits your budget and your label aspirations.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Compared to what Peter.

Well, any other modern diesel I’ve ever driven, and ANY petrol engine. Probably the most lacklustre thing I’ve ever felt connected to a throttle pedal, TBH. And my first car was an Austin Maxi!

Isn’t the 1.6 the same engine that Peugeot and a few other companied use? I know my brother had a 307(? I think?) as a courtesy car for a few weeks and hated it, I think that was the same lump

mark90
    Free Member

I’d rather my neighbours see a Golf on my drive but I’d rather own a Focus. Hands down.

This. If you’re a badge snob pay extra for the VW qudos, otherwise get the Focus, more for your money on a better handling car. That said I’ve no experience of the newest Focus.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh yes, the 1.6cdti is the same engine as used in
    Suzuki
    Citroen
    mini
    ford
    mazda
    peugeot
    and volvo

And apparently made by PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) which alone is enough to warrant avoiding it.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve not driven the previous incarnations of the engine but I know there were some turbo and fuel injector issues but for what its worth these have both been redesigned in 2012 Econetic engines that’s in my Focus and 20000 miles in all is good.

There’s a guy in my company who has done over 50000 miles this year on the same engine (in a Volvo) with no problems and no complaints about performance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah cause peter peugeot have never made some of the most reliable diesels ….., old 306 tds were always blowing up at 60k miles 😉 xuds & dw8 dont have a reputation for being bullet proof. The engines the one part i like in my van

Gearboxes and clutch provide me with more worrys than a psa diesel engine, although if you run shite supermarket fuel they have a tendancy to lunch fuel pumps – an intank job so can be spendy

Fwiw ill never have another vw. Any little issue always became expensive quickly – only had 80k on the clock. – verified by the mots and service history.

Lunched its steering rack – 500 quid plus labour as no one makes a reliable pattern part. Then did its water pump in and the door electrics were going.

Also rear wind screen washer leaked into rear high level brake light and needed swapping . Had to have the headlights swapped as vw supplied it with hid upgrade but this did not meet criteria for the mot of having washers and projectors…… Ok the lights could have been any brand but the other issues are issues ive never had with any car in the past and ive run some of blue ovals finest well into 200k

Gave it away in the end( needing a new engine) was just a money pit. Id much rather have a fordie….even a bad ford is at least reasonable for parts to repair it.

Althouh on a lease the golf probably has better residuals so may be cheaper in long run and if they will maintain it then great.- but id still prefer the focus.

rascal
    Free Member

If you’re not bothered about the badge, a Kia Ceed – making a real name for themselves recently.
    3 months ago we bought a 59 plate 1.6 with less than 12k miles, still with 4 years warranty for £7k.
    Looks perfectly acceptable (LS comes with some nice extras), excellent interior and drives really nicely.

As you know, most 3 year old + cars will have no manufacturer warranty left so that was the clincher.
    Agree that the leasing thing seems like you’re chucking your hard-earned away…

speed12
    Free Member

And apparently made by PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) which alone is enough to warrant avoiding it.

Yeah that’s just rubbish, PSA diesels are generally regarded as some of the best in the business. The DV6 engine (the 1.6 tdci, hdi, or whatever) is a very highly developed engine and the current ‘C’ version is one of the best out there. Would be my choice for the Focus. That or the 1.0 ecoboost if you want petrol.

nealglover
    Free Member

Regarding Astons and Ferraris where do you stand?

Normally close enough to Apply the Wax and then far enough away to hand over the Invoice 😉

(Occasionally close enough to collect and deliver)

Northwind

hora – Member

I’d rather my neighbours see a Golf on my drive but I’d rather own a Focus.

Sums it up really.

mildred

Would be my choice for the Focus. That or the 1.0 ecoboost if you want petrol.

Funnily enough I had a drive in the 998 cc petrol a couple of days ago & I was astounded at how good it was. On the open road you couldn’t tell it was such a small engine, & the handling was simply unbelievable. It was like a go kart, no body roll, well damped, pinpoint steering. However, this one only had 600 miles on it and the computer hasn’t been reset throughout its short life, and disappointingly it was only managing 32mpg. The average speed was something like 22mph so is clearly used in a mainly urban setting, but we get that from the wife’s 1.8 04 plate C-Max.

hora
    Free Member

All Ford official figures tell huge porkies.

I’d still rather have one over a VW though. Driving dynamics first, plastics/appeal second.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

All Ford official figures tell huge porkies.

Ftfy

😀

jd-boy
    Free Member

FOCUS over the golf any day and if you get an estate you can get your bike in the back with the wheels out. Golfs are just Boring. I drive a Focus estate 142000 miles goes from service to service with no issues, cheep to run its a TDCI 1600cc and its averaging 51 mpg and its loaded with tools as its my workshop on the road.id have another anyday. 😀

The new Focus is a lovely car, had a couple on hire when working in the states, they were Autos aswell, still lovely

mildred

The other thing that struck me about the focus was the interior build. I think the Mk1 was a class leader, in fact I’d say it was a huge wake up call to VW. Then the mk2 came along was as big a step back as the original was forward. Cheap plasticky feel with easy to wear out faux chrome. This latest one was loverly; easily as good as a mate’s 56 plate golf Gti.

retro83
    Free Member

`The build quality of the VW is just so much better (I have had various Golfs in the past and now own a B7 Audi A4) Yes you don’t get as much for your money (equipment levels)but you will find that consumables (clutches, bushes, exhausts etc etc) all last much longer

That’s not borne out in the reliability index:

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/61

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/247

Northwind

mildred – Member

The other thing that struck me about the focus was the interior build. I think the Mk1 was a class leader, in fact I’d say it was a huge wake up call to VW. Then the mk2 came along was as big a step back as the original was forward. Cheap plasticky feel with easy to wear out faux chrome.

Aye, absolutely right… And not just the solidity and feel of the Mk1, but just how well it was thought out. Little niches and nooks everywhere, gigantic loadspace with every mm used up. Whereas the Mk2 just didn’t seem bothered. First time I got in my dad’s, I was getting annoyed at things like the tiny useless door pockets, or the lack of space around the handbrake, and the way the arm rest’s never in the right place to rest my arm on, but often in the way. And it’s noisy, too.

ac282

I’ve got a focus. I tried out an octavia and a golf before buying and I preferred driving the Ford. The plastics might be more scratchy but I don’t tend to stroke my dashboard when I’m driving.

wooobob

I used to own a Golf mk6 1.4 GT, and it was great. Really nice to drive, well put together, pretty economical, and quick. Amazing engine. Having driven Focuses in the past, and always thought they were nice to drive, the Golf was better. Having said that, not sure what your basic spec would get you, might be better with the Focus.

ross980
    Free Member

Prefer my Mk6 Golf to the countless number of Foci I’ve driven (hire cars/work pool cars etc.). Not driven a mk7 Golf or brand new Focus though so can’t comment. I recommend the OP goes for a test drive of both (back to back if possible, just ring up and book and say you’re interested in buying) probably far more useful/valid than asking a load of strangers on a forum. 😉

Inbred456
    Free Member

Have owned both, although older models than your after. The golf had the best interior by a country mile but the focus has the best driving dynamics of any standard car I’ve ever driven. To give you an example of why fords are so very good in this department you need to read Sir Jackie Stewart’s Autobiography. He had to sign off every models driving dynamics and if he wasn’t happy it was back to the drawing board. If it’s good enough for him it’ll do for me. The feedback of the steering, the controls, the feel of the brakes they are just spot on.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

g) probably far more useful/valid than asking a load of strangers on a forum.

Not really, owners opinions could point you in a better long term direction than a test drive alone.

ross980
    Free Member

Not really, owners opinions could point you in a better long term direction than a test drive alone.

Owners very rarely admit to making an incorrect decision though, do they? Focus owners say buy a Focus, Golf owners say buy a Golf. Not exactly informative, is it? Besides, it’s a lease car so reliability/residuals are much less of an issue. Both are similar sized, have similar power/economy etc. so it probably comes down to cost and personal preference ( hence the recommendation of a test drive).

madhouse

I had an old ’02 focus 1.8, loved it, had it up to 88k miles with no major issues. Sister-in-law has the last variant (not the new global one) and doesn’t say much either way about it, which is as good as you’re realistically going to get – unless you’re looking at the top end stuff people don’t go around shouting about their cars.

We’ve now got a pair of golfs, one hatch and an estate. Same scenario really, they won’t set your world alight but they are solid and reliable. Both are around the 100k mile mark and I’ve replaced a temp sensor and a turbo, I was even surprised how cheap the turbo was.

In terms of what you want to do, you’ll be just fine with either. You’d be better off buying used than leasing, but that’s a different thread all together.

amplebrew

I’d personally go for the Golf as I think they look and feel a classier car than the Focus; although I don’t really think they’re any better made.

The focus we have in work has buttons all over the place and looks a bit of a mess. The Golfs I’ve seen look far more plain and simple; which I prefer.

The new 2013 model Golf appears to be getting great reviews, although I know it’s early days and the models given to the mags seem to be high spec models.

I always drive like I’ve got Miss Daisy in the car and get nowhere near the limit of a cars handling, so it wouldn’t be high on my list when buying. I’d be more concerned with the specification and crash test results.

There both just run of the mill family hatchbacks and I’d imagine that any handling improvement the Focus has is probably small in the real world.

Bucko

Or maybe I should just buy a 500 quid banger and deal with the consequnces.

That’s what I did 12 months ago. So far the only “consequence” has been new tyres, wiper blades and a new headlight bulb.

timber

Looked at estate versions of both, amongst other things recently as we have downsized from a Mondeo estate.

Firstly, neither are as well put together as the Mondeo.
    But most noticeably, I was very underwhelmed by the Golf. Nothing of interest about driving it, didn’t feel any better put together or logical.
    Focus was of equal build, drove much more directly and involving and had a bigger boot.

Didn’t get either in the end, went for a Volvo V50.
    Only other thing that size we’d have gone for is probably a BMW 320d.
    If the wife wasn’t so keen for something smaller, would have stuck with the Mondeo for another 200k. Drove very well for something of its size,

bentudder

I’ve owned an ’07 plate Golf 1.9tdi (Mk v, from memory) and a mk1.5 (The cosmetic facelift job) 54 plate Focus – the 1.8 TDCI.

The Focus was a lot cheaper, more fun to drive and was pretty cheap to maintain. I bought it for £2,800, spent £150 getting a new timing belt fitted, and ran it as was for a year. I then sold it within a week for £2,100. Friends who have a petrol ’09 plate are very happy with theirs – more boot space, and a bigger car on the outside at least. I’d never owned a Ford before, and was very impressed. Would buy again.

The Golf was pretty faultless – at one point, it was dropping oil, but that was because the feckless dealership (Drift Bridge near Epsom) we bought from and had the first service at didn’t replace the sump plug properly. They also tried to get us to pay for a new set of tyres and new pads at the first service – both lots were still going strong and had life left when we finally replaced them 8,000 miles later. Hugely disappointed with Drift Bridge.

Given the choice, I’d go for another Focus – we were hugely impressed with ours. The Mk1 was a better drive than the Golf. At the time, we were putting 15k a year on each car – most of it motorway stuff. Thankfully those days are over.

We traded the Golf in for a Skoda Octavia estate (the 1.4tsi) as neither of us drive to work any more, and there are now two Udderlets

My suggestions?

* Work out how many miles you’re going to do (do the diesel vs petrol calculation – we’ve been seriously impressed with the 1.4 petrol in our estate so far), where they’ll be (motorway commute, school run etc) and how important the badge and a new plate is to you.

* Also do the calculation on costs over the three years of the lease period. We looked at leasing, and after totting up how much it would cost, it seemed insane. If you have the cash, or can borrow the money, a good second hand car could well save you a fair amount.

* I got an AA inspection on the Focus when we bought, for peace of mind, and it’s worth considering if you are concerned about buying a second hand car.

* Look at other makes. Do a bit of web research to see what the common platforms are (ie, some Ford and Volvo models have the same engine and chassis underneath) and how they’re rated.

I hope all this helps – and best of luck with the nipper.

bentudder

Sorry, I forgot – the Golf was Match trim, Focus was Ghia, so had all the bells and whistles – not necessarily what I was looking for, but the heated leather seats were a godsend in the winter.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Golf vs Focus’ is closed to new replies.