Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Golf Mk6 1.4 TSI
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

STW car gurus,

I was in my wife’s Touran TDi last week when a foreign lorry driver T-boned me and the car is now a write off. I was borrowing it as my mileage (>30,000/year) makes commuting in my fantastic Hyundai 4×4 (25mpg) a bit steep!

Insurers have given us a reasonable price and my wife will drive the 4×4 (12,000/year) until we replace it with another Touran.

I was looking at a mk 6 Golf 1.4tsi DSG. Chain cam, no DPF, still reasonable (on paper) economy. (Octy banned by wife btw!)

I know the 2.0 TDi would be mega in economy terms but there is a chance my commute might drop soon too. Plus the modern diesels have been torpedoed by the drive to have economy for the EU test.

So, anyone got one? Bike rack on top? Economy? Fun? Comfort?

Cheers!

allthegear
    Free Member

I drive a Skoda Fabia with the same engine & gearbox. It’s a hoot!

Rachel

sing1etrack

Fabia engine has a supercharger bolted on as well as the turbocharger, golf tsi doesn’t, meaning it won’t be the hoot that the fabia is. Not a bad engine by all accounts, though i believe quoted economy figures are a bit optimistic on the tsi’s. It has the better 7 speed DSG rather than the 6 speed found in the more torquey models. Not sure it’ll be much fun but ticks most other boxes.

simon_g

Yeah, the ones in the Golfs and similar are just turbocharged with 120-ish bhp. Still good engines, very refined, decent torque, like anything economy figures won’t be remotely achievable in the real world.

DSG is great though especially if you spend time in traffic, you won’t have a rough diesel idling away or DPF issues if you do shorter journeys.

The TSI actually makes more sense than TDI for people who aren’t pounding up and down the motorway all day.

Caher

I’ve got one great car, I’d get another.

mikertroid
    Free Member

That’s good to hear; ATG sadly it’ll be the 122PS rather than the 180 one you’ve got!

A Fabia VRS would be cracking on the twisty stuff but lots of my stuff is motorway 🙁

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Had one as a rental car earlier this year. Was impressed.

allthegear
    Free Member

No supercharger? My condolences… 😉

Rachel

carloz
    Free Member

I got one a couple of years ago. I’ve had nearly £3k repairs done on the initial 1 year VW used warrenty and a subsequent extended warrenty. The main work was replacing the gearbox and some minor electrics. I’ve been really impressed by VWs service and I’ll buy my next car from them if they still have the same cover. The TSI engine is superb, my only issue is that its so quiet I sometimes turn it on twice. Economywise it’s very efficient and Id recommend getting the upgraded interior/ with alloy wheels.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for. 2.0TDI even if that meant buying an older car, even a Mk5. A good mate had a 1.4 turbo he liked but it needed to be driven hard to be fun and that hit economy. I drove a mk7 1.4 it went pretty well in town (London) but I do have a prejudice against these small engines in what are quite big cars. Golfs are great, very practical and as a VW owner you already know about the quality. Bikes will go on top, on a rear screen rack or inside.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve seen a 2.0 TDI for good money so might look at that. Slightly higher miles but still pretty fresh.

gribble
    Free Member

Can’t really go wrong with a Golf, but Seat Leon offers similar. I think TSI engines are the way to go unless you are pushing out the miles.

Drove a basic Mk7 tdi 1.6 hire car last week, really nice drive and even the basic model was pretty smart inside. I have not driven a MK6, but loved my Mk5 TDI. Best car I have ever owned/had as a company car (including the BMW 320d automatic we have now).

swdan
    Free Member

I have a 59 plate A3 sportback with the 1.4 TFSI engine (the same as this one I think, approx 120 bhp) and I think it’s a cracking engine. Is as quick as I want it to be and real world mpg calcs put it around 42 mpg from a tank of petrol on a combination of London suburban driving and motorway speed cruising.

We looked at other cars and considered bigger non-turbo engines but in all honesty loved this way this drove. OK it’s not sports car but is plenty nippy enough and when you don’t want it to be just cruises round sipping fuel like any other 1.4

joeyj
    Free Member

Had the 1.4 tsi jetta gt with the 170 bhp (57 plate) and its was great no complaints with anything about the car. Wife has the 1.2 tsi polo and that is even better even though I doesn’t have as many horses. The VAG diesels are great for economy but when something goes wrong it normally costs. I had a 55 plate passatt 2.0tdi and oil pump went £2000 to sort out wasn’t worth it so sold car and bought a mark 4 golf gti 2.0 petrol

DrP

What are views on the 1.4TSI in an octavia…???

We’ve a 1.6fsi octavia, which is great but at times underpowered.
    Would I be in a similar boat with teh turbo engine??

Am tempted by tractor fuel, but simply don’t do the mileage…

DrP

stevemorg2

Very happy with the 1.4TSI (120BHP) in our Octavia – when we bought it I was a bit concerned that it would be a little undepowered but its great on motorway trips and good on economy

mikertroid
    Free Member

Well I’ve gone for a 1.6 TDi DSG Golf. I’ll save three grand in fuel costs alone over the next year! If it a bit slow I can chip it. The 1.6 is good for quite a few more bhp.

Looking forward to getting it next week!

Inbred456
    Free Member

What does the 1.6 Tdi get average mpg?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Golf Mk6 1.4 TSI’ is closed to new replies.