Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Goldie Lookin' Chains…
  • belgianbob

Actually, just KMC and Wipperman chains.
    Any thoughts, opinions or prejudices on non-SRAM/Shimano chains. Are they better, do they last longer, run smoother, etc?
    Titanium Nitride plated, for example: Worth paying extra for?

Ladies and gentlemen, fire away!

Olly
    Free Member

chains are consumables, if you change your chain, you only need to change your cassette once in a blue moon.

therfore

cheap chains, packs of 3, change regularly.

nickle plated outer plates look prettier for longer, but wouldnt worry about anything else myself

ahwiles
    Free Member

Titanium nitride IS very hard, but it's also very thin.

it IS used on cutting tips for machine tools, but more as a wear indicator than as a performance enhancing feature.

(if the shiny gold layer has worn off, the tool is worn, replace it soon)

now that i think about it, it's probably a good idea to get a Ti nitride plated chain – when the shiny gold layer has worn off, replace the chain. But don't expect it to last longer because of a very thin layer of shiny stuff.

if you pay a bit more money for your chain, you'll be more likely to clean and lube it after every ride – hey presto, your chain will last longer…

or is this thread another 'snake oil' trap?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

I used a gold KMC one. It seemed to last quite well, I don't keep a diary of when I change chains, so I couldn't say whether it actually lasted better than the bog standard SRAM951 I tend to use. I didn't buy another, as at the time a) the on line shop I use didn't have any, b) they are quite expensive, c) do look a bit "German disco" …If you know what I mean.

It's a chain….

belgianbob

I'm pretty much obsessed with chain 'hygeine' as it is, so I'd probably clean a fancy chain no more often that I do my regular PC951: every five minutes, changing the lube with the weather. Sad, I know…

Sadly, really sadly, I'm looking at new rings, chain and cassette all at once this time. Ouch!

Nickc; what if I *like* that German disco look, eh? 😉

Prolly just stick with the non-flashy PC971 chains for now then, and save myself a few beers…

coffeeking
    Free Member

You knows it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Goldie Lookin' Chains…’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts