Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gold Bikes in Dunblane?
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Was in Dunblane on Sunday for a christening at the Cathedral and couldn’t help but notice the various gold painted bicycles chained to various fences and posts all around the town.

What is all that about? Is it an Olympic thing like the Post box?

maccruiskeen

“european mobility week’

Remember ‘Europe’?

Its a use cars less campaign rather than an olympics related thing. Dunblane has called their Mobility Week thing ‘going for gold’ and it does sort of confuse the message.

matt_outandabout

Maccruiskeen has it right. Even more amusing when you see how many people in Dunblane cannot use two legs or a bike for any journey within the town (less than a mile for most folk anywhere here)….the queues at the high school for drop off and collection, or BB’s in an evening are hilarious….

http://www.discoverdunblane.co.uk/%EF%BB%BFmp-backs-dunblane-going-gold-campaign/

There are 8 of them

perchypanther
    Free Member

european mobility week

I find myself strangely disappointed by this. I’m not really sure why.

Surely this would have been more appropriate……

maccruiskeen

Its all very well meaning but its pretty muddled. Perhaps the biggest perceived barrier to car-free transport is sporting/competative cyclists making cycling look hard/energetic/committing when its actually one of the laziest ways you can get between two points short of hang gliding. The gold paint suggests sporting excellence rather than transportational convenience. Its also a bit ironic that sustainable transportational cycling is being encouraged by rendering a bunch of reasonably usable bikes useless by gunking them up with gold paint. 🙂

matt_outandabout

I agree!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gold Bikes in Dunblane?’ is closed to new replies.