Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • going tubeless what is needed and the benefits
  • karnali
    Free Member

i havea set of tubeless ready rims built up, what do i need to go tubeless, thinking of using tubeless maxxis advantage tyres

ta

mikey74
    Free Member

Stick with tubes: You’ll spend more time riding that way :mrgreen:

funkynick

I’m just about to give this a go using the ghetto tubeless method.. go a google for it, there are several sites that give you instructions on how to do it.

So, I’ve bought some BMX inner tubes, some Stans ‘milk’ and I’m ready to go… it’s a darned sight cheaper than using any of the kits.

But if you have tubeless rims then there’s no need for the BMX tubes, just get the correct values for the rims, use the ‘milk’ and that should be it.

More than anything else I’m looking to stop getting punctures… so we’ll see how that goes.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    Stick with tubes: You’ll spend more time riding that way

Stick with tubless as you will spend less time stopping on trails to fix punctures. 😆

owenfackrell
    Free Member

You dont’ need to use tubless tyres but they do make it easier. Getting the tyre to seat first time can be a bit hard with some tyres. I either use the air compressor here at work or get one side seated first using an inner tube. Use a bit of lquid laytex to stop annoying punctures. Carry a spare tube with you incase you rip a side wall of the tyre.

FuzzyWuzzy

You’ll need tubeless rim tape (assuming you have exposed spoke holes in the rim) and sealant, and a valve if the wheels didn’t come with one. I’ve only converted one of my bikes so far but glad I did. Doing it was easier than I expected (and I’m crap at this sort of thing), only hassle I had was getting a high Roller LUST actually onto the rim, it sealed easy enough though (use a lot of soapy water when fitting). Once inflated it’s important to work around the wheel sloshing the sealant about so it coats the entire inner surface otherwise you might get leaks.
    Only disadvantage I see to tubeless is if you want to swap tyres more than once every few months.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I always hated tubeless and used to slate them after seeing so many people with their tyres burping sealant (usually accompanied by high speed deflations…) and all sorts of other problems. However I’ve had a full ust set up (crossmax st rims and high roller lust) for over a year now and haven’t had a single problem since. A good tubeless setup is fantastic and well worth it IMO.

fotorat
    Free Member

best to use tubeless ready or UST tires – normal tires dont have the right wall structure to work without a tube also they can leak.

I have 6 bikes all tubeless – its a no brainer – ditch tubes = spend more time riding:

no more pinch flats, no more thorn punctures.

i had a thorn in a tire for 6 months before i even noticed it!

for best results use stans juice and make sure wheel rim and tire are clean for the initial set up – if you have a mavic ust rim and ust tire or Jones tubless ready or speccy 2bliss tire – they will seal and hold air for years – I have one which is still up after 2 years.

If you live near me I will show you how – Swindon Wiltshire J16 M4

thomthumb
    Free Member

my top tip is the soapy water needs to be really really thick, big squirt of fairy and a small amount of water in a bucket. whip the suds until they are thick like whipped egg whites. if it’s any thinner it takes too much effort.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

JRA tubeless (nevegals, bmx tubes and wheel milk)

8 months without punctures, 1 burp.

Worth the effort

windyrich
    Free Member

Been tubeless for over a week now, best thing i ever did for my wheels… normally would of had at least 20 thorn punctures by now.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Stan’s Rims, with tubeless ready tires. Not a puncture, issue, burb etc in 2.5 years of use and I used to get LOADS. Often find thorns in my tires when I switch them over, so the sealant must work!

timraven

I’ve run tubeless for 4 years, no major problems.
    You already have tubeless rims, so stick the ADvantages on with lots of soapy water, inflate ’til they pop on to the rims, then remove valve core put in about 100ml of Wheel Milk from JRA reinflate ride gently for couple of hundred yards leave overnight and check pressures before riding and riding and riding………etc. etc.

I do carry a tube because about once a year I take the sidewall out of the rear tyre, just clumsy I guess 😳

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘going tubeless what is needed and the benefits’ is closed to new replies.