Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Going Tubeless – ??'s
  • seadog101

I’m thinking of getting in on the tubeless thing. I can’t afford/be arsed to get specific tubeless tires and rims, so I’m sticking with my current set up, and will get a kit of some sort.

Tires – Hans Dampf 2.35″, Rims – Alex DP20 19mm.

Is that a daft combination to consider? TBH the tyres feel a bit too wide for the rims, and need plenty of PSI so as not to be floppy.

What kit is currently a la mode? The Stan’s kits get better reviews, but are double the price of the No Flats Joes.

Anybody tried ghetto options? There’s plenty on the internet about using Gorilla tape and DIY sealant mixtures.

Also, do you still carry a spare tube for that time that it all goes wrong when out on the trail?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ghetto all the way on 2 sets of wheels. 20″ tubes, roll around your rim, snip along the top, peel over rim sides, pop tyre on one side, pour in sealant, pop tyre in fully, inflate, shake about a bit, trim flaps. Job done

I do carry a spare tube after Splitting a tyre wall on the DH section above Caddon Bank in Innerleithen once. Had to walk down Caddin Bank as my spare tube was in the car. Gutted.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have used the ghetto method in the past and it is ok, but nothing beats proper tubeless rims and tyres. To stand a fighting chance you want at least one of the two to be tubeless ready. That tyre and rim combo sounds like a recipe for serious burping!

creamegg
    Free Member

I’ve used full stans kit in the past but all mine are semi ghetto now.

I just remove existing rim strip and use gorilla tape to build it up. You want it nice and tight when the tyre goes on. Proper tyer lever helps. My rims arent tubeless but I’ve not bothered with rim strips / half a tube although you may need them. I use proper tubeless valves (but cutting sone from old tubes will work), valves need to have removable cores. Add sealant (I use the stans syringe as its means when you top up the tyre stays seated). Use track pump to inflate or ghetto inflator for stubborn ones. Shake about a bit (the wheel) or ride and keep an eye on pressure over first few days. I’ve never bothered with the soapy water.

I carry a spare tube for longer rides but since going tubeless (3 yes or so) I’ve only needed it once and that was only because the tyre cut in 2 places so no chance for the holes to seal before losing air

creamegg
    Free Member

Oh and I’ve had HD’s worked fine on 17mm rims without issue, although now my rims are a lot wider

hot_fiat

Stan’s kits are awesome. Their fluid is, imo unbeatable. I’ve used stan’s strips with both maxxis lust tubless ready tyres and regular tyres as well. Both work pretty good, the lusts having the edge when it comes to seating the bead as the carcass naturally spreads them out over.

I run ghetto on the fatty, with a decapitated 24″ tube making up my own strip and stan’s fluid. Takes ages to seat the bead but otherwise works well. When stan’s get around to producing fat bike strips I’ll swap them out.

seadog101

Bagstard – Member

That tyre and rim combo sounds like a recipe for serious burping!

Hmm? That’s what I’ve been thinking… I’ve a pair of Nobby Nics 2.2″, maybe I’ll try them in the first instance.

Neat idea to use the smaller size tubes as the rim strip, hadn’t come across that.

Wally

This tape – I think I use 12mm

these valves – Decathlon sell them much cheaper

Works like a charm, just press in tape really hard and do it with wheel in the bike, so you can spin around. 3 wraps and then little cut to poke valve through. Done the 20″ ghetto method too – but changing tyres is a complete start again procedure. This way you can swop tyres, worked for about 5 sets of wheels for me over the last 4 years. Any JRA wheel milk that comes out of spoke holes means you have not sealed tape well enough. Clean with Isopropyl alcohol and try again. A very cheap method.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Going Tubeless – ??'s’ is closed to new replies.