Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Going tubeless on road
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

I have been tube less on MTB for years using stans rim and pretty much any other Tyre now I am thinking road bike also but not using a specific tubeless rim just the rim tape, tubeless valve and sealent. Anyone done this? my rims are Mavic SLRs with Schwalbe ultremo’s

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Standard tyres can’t cope with the pressures, so you need tubeless specific tyres at a minimum.
    I’ve heard that non-tubeless rims can work, not tried it myself though.

I am using Ultremo ZX tubeless and they are fantastic. Very smooth and fast even at 80psi, perfect for rough Welsh roads!

Tony.w
    Free Member

Yeh Ultremo’s are what I was going to give it a go with as to be honest there about 20% life left usually run at 110 to 120psi but have heard they blow off unless tubeless specific tyres and rims aren’t used. I use tubeless rims on MTB but normal everyday tyres with no issues.

womp
    Free Member

crazybaboon

I’ve used Hutchinson fusion tubeless tyres on mavic kysrium sl, no problem
    Just need some valves, no rim tape as the rim isn’t drilled

Tony.w
    Free Member

No sealant either?

hopefiendboy

Do you notice much of an improvement? Or difference by doing this?

scaredypants

Womp – tell me more
    (where from, how much ?)

crazybaboon

Didn’t need sealant, but I did end up putting some in for puncture protection.
    Feels more comfortable but just as fast, and no punctures!
    I’m now running some Fulcrum Racing 1 2 way fit, 2 pairs of Ultegra and the Kysriums all tubeless

gee
    Free Member

Tried this once, Hutchinson tyres on Stans Alphas. The tyres got a flat, tubeless pissed out everywhere and I was in the same position as I would have been with a tube, just with the happy addition of my legs and bike being covered in tubeless spooge.

I’m converted on the Mtb, but not on the road.

GB

womp
    Free Member

They are Hutchinson secteur 28mm on farsport carbon wide 38mm rims with sealed bed & set up tubless with a small splosh of orange seal.

Feel is more comfortable especially in fast downhill bumpy sections wich in turn allows me to carry more speed, I don’t notice any loss in speed on flats or uphill ( Strava agrees) so for me it’s all good at the moment.

CaptainSlow

Tubeless on ultegra wheels, hutchinson intesives and stans here. I run at about 90psi and its been great so far. I was running 1-105psi with tubed tyres.

scaredypants

where did you get the secteur from ?

orangeboy
    Free Member

How low can you go with road tyre pressure
    I only use about 70-80 psi with tubes and its fine
    Just starting to try tubless as the road seem rougher than ever here
    But a little worries about the tyre rolling off the rim

scaredypants

thanks womp

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Going tubeless on road’ is closed to new replies.