Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • going tube-less. How much weight will i save?
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Thinking of trying to drop weight off my wheels. I have pro 2’s with mavic EN521 Rims. Not tubeless ready but i was thinking of getting some tubeless ready tyres and some stans stuff.

Will i see a noticeable difference in weight when i ride.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Drop the kids off at te pool before you ride, you’ll probably save the same amount of weight*

*Possibly

mactheknife

None, going tubeless is not about saving weight. it’s about stopping punctures.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Probably not much once you add the rim strips required, bit it’s not about the weight loss, it’s all about no punctures, pinch flats and more grip / less rolling resistance due to reduced pressures you can run

watsontony
    Free Member

50kg

wallop

None.

br
    Free Member

You will, if you swap the rims for some light ones.

ssboggy

In a word no. Going tubeless is not about weight saving. The tubeless kit and sealant is similar in weight to a tube. It’s more about the puncture resistance and ride quality.

mdb
    Free Member

If you wanna save weight on your wheels look at your tyres and the cassette

Scapegoat

I’ve just converted my lad’s wheels from Minion DHF 2.35s to Nic Snakeskin Evos 2.25 TL. I reckon I’ve saved over a kilo of weight off his wheels. The tubes in the minions weighed 251g and 257g. The cloth rimstrip I took off weighed considerably more than the Stans tape I put in to replace it. The Nics themselves weigh 475g and 480g, and the Minions are quoted at 870 g each. Include 120g of Jizz and a couple of valves and I reckon that’s about 1200g saving.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yes if converting, probably nothing saved. However, going tubeless on an already tubeless ready wheelset saw me lose 300g for the inner tubes and only put back about 100g of sealant and 50g of valves in total.

That said, there might be a few grams in running a little fabric rim strip vs the tubeless rim tape but it’s not much.

enfht
    Free Member

less rolling resistance due to reduced pressures you can run

surely more resistance/grip with lower pressures ?

enfht
    Free Member

Double post

steve_b77
    Free Member

Here we go again

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You can do tubeless two ways. The first is to do it to save weight, and you will. After a while you will come on here cursing tubeless, saying how rubbish it is, how its difficult to seal and tyres are fragile and keep burping and its not a reliable system.

The other way is to do it it properly to stop punctures and keep a sensible tyre on. This way, you will be able to have virtually puncture free riding, better grip and rolling resistance and accept a slight weight saving.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘going tube-less. How much weight will i save?’ is closed to new replies.