Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Going to Uni as a mature student without having done A-levels or equivalent?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well Uni essays can be a shock to anyone including schools-levers, so don’t worry unnecessarily, you will not be alone. There is a definite technique to writing essays at Uni and loads of material and guidance that they will give you. But don’t panic, a lot is common sense topped with the maturity (and fewer distractions) that you have. With correct guidance, a bit of practice and some graft, you will fly through. And that learning is all part if the experience isn’t it?

Good luck with the interview. Be open, but don’t undersell yourself. There are a few words in your posts that suggest a lack of confidence (please excuse me, if that sounds rude.) But do not apologise for the fact that you did not take A levels, rather stress the different and valuable experience that you bring. Uni degrees are a lot more than simply writing essays.

Oh and when you succeed, enjoy the course!

d45yth
    Free Member

And that learning is all part if the experience isn’t it?

Too true. That’s why I’m wanting to do it.

There are a few words in your posts that suggest a lack of confidence

I’ve worked for my family business for the last 15 years, doing work I’m not interested in. It’s mainly been manual or semi-skilled work. I haven’t really had to prove myself to anyone, not academically anyway. That’s why I have some doubts.

kayak23

I went to Uni at about 26, with no A-levels or nuffink and now I’m dead clever and that(39 now).
    You should be fine, life experience and maturity count for a lot.
    They want your money at the end of the day..

toby1

I guess it’s just I haven’t wrote written an essay

😉

I went at 21, not quite as mature, but yeah, I had a greater appreciation of the need to do well on the course than a lot of others. Came out with a 1st, and work in the industry I studied in.

Sounds like you’ll be fine, enjoy it and good luck 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

UPDATE: Had an interview yesterday! It all went very well, I thought I’d only be there for half an hour…ended being there for most of the afternoon, drinking coffee and talking about all kinds! 🙂
    Only problem is that I was given until next week to do a personal statement and an entry essay. Not problem I thought. Now it turns out that the whole class is going away this weekend and I’ve been invited along. It will still depend on insurance, due to me not being admitted yet. They think I might just be able to sign some kind of waiver though.
    Argghh, I should be busy writing the essay, why am I wasting time typing this?!? 😆

Northwind

d45yth – Member

Argghh, I should be busy writing the essay, why am I wasting time typing this?!?

You’re a natural at this uni lark eh 😆

boltonjon

Get down to the SU bar for a pint of Purple Nasty!!!

Good work Dan!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Excellent news, very well done. Good luck with the essay and the personal statement. I am sure you have had lots of advice there but do make sure you relate your PS directly to the course – sorry if grandmothers and eggs come to mind. 😉

McHamish
    Free Member

With crap GCSEs and no a levels, I went to university as a ‘mature’ student (only 21 so not really!). I didn’t have to do a foundation course, and 4 years later I was 1 of 2 people (out of about 60) to finish with a 1st.

When I applied I was doing temporary office work; I’d end up working in an office and after a couple on hours training, I’d be doing the job quicker and more effectively than the person who trained me. At the time my younger brother was going through the usual route and was applying at the end of his a levels. He left a few prospectuses lying around and after reading a few I phoned a university to ask about foundation courses. Three weeks later I was travelling to start the first year! My dad nearly fell off his chair when I told.

I ended up having to ask my brother how to write my first essay, as I didn’t have a clue where to start!

The oldest person on my course was an ex chippy in his mid thirties.

I consistently performed better than other people on the course who had good a levels.

d45yth
    Free Member

Got accepted on Friday! Just spent the weekend in Coniston with the other students on the course…had a great time! First lecture tomorrow morning. 😀 8) 😯

T1000
    Free Member

Bravo! Make sure you enjoy yourself as we’ll as working hard….. It makes the end result better to savour
    Also it’s good to explore topics and subjects which interest you as the extra reading and research can make all the difference with selecting disertation topics and life after uni

boltonjon

Congratulations d45yth – really pleased for you – now knock ’em dead!!

Northwind

That’s fab, really glad to hear it!

Bloody students!

d45yth
    Free Member

Thanks all! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Going to Uni as a mature student without having done A-levels or equivalent?’ is closed to new replies.