Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Going to the Ice Hotel in Sweden – any tips?
  • greenboy
    Free Member

Wife bought us a long weekend at the Ice Hotel in Sweden to celebrate a big birthday. Anyone here been before and if so any tips, things to see and do?

As always your info is appreciated.

kilo

Did the one in the far north of Sweden, take ear plugs so you don’t hear drunk people going to their room after a night in the vodka bar.
    Dog sledding and ski mobiles are great. Tbh it was a nice place to visit but sleeping in the ice hotel was a bit like kipping in the back of a van, cold and uncomfortable. The chalets are nice as are the restaurants we went back and did a four day dog sled trip, it was great out in the wilds

RustySpanner

Don’t frotter yourself against the furniture.

footflaps

Don’t frotter yourself against the furniture.

if you do, you have to chisel the evidence off…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Leave the thermostat alone.

Pigface
    Free Member

Really cold up there this year.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, went a few years ago. Get the dog-sled transfer from the airport. Don’t ask how much, just book it (then don’t look at the bill).

Spending the night in the ice room is really built up. In reality it’s no different to sleeping with your window open.

The ice bar is great. Getting blasted on flavoured vodkas served in ice glasses… Only down side is getting up for a whizz in the middle of the night. The ice rooms aren’t on-suite. It was a tad nippy walking to the leisure centre bit in my boxers…

footflaps

Only down side is getting up for a whizz in the middle of the night.

Surely you just piss on the floor and it freezes over?

greenboy
    Free Member

Thanks guys, loved the thermostat bit.
    We’ve got a dog sled ride and snowmodile booked so really forward to them. Love the idea of a four dog sled trip though.

cheers

Rubber_Buccaneer

Check ITV’s on demand for Alexander Armstrong’s ‘The Land of the Midnight Sun’. It was a three parter and I think he stayed in an ice hotel in the first episode. He didn’t fancy a second night, I think you need company to keep you warm.

Edukator
    Free Member

I went on a eight-dog sleigh ride and mainly remember the snow they threw up as they ran. If the snow is powder then the man standing at the back is in the right place and will be laughing the whole ride long at you being plastered in snow. Junior was not impressed.

goon
    Free Member

They don’t stop to pee or crap either. If you see one tripping along on three legs keep your mouth and eyes closed!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, I remember getting sprayed with poop rather than snow 😯 😆

selaciosa
    Free Member

After doing the snowmobile thing a couple of times I thought the dogs were a bit boring :/

The 600cc snowmobiles are wicked – hung at the back of the group and cheekily got one to over 80mph. Getting (minor) air on that thing was scary as hell. I did the full day trip on the snowmobiles and a night trip too.

Get drunk in the Ice Bar of course and if I recall correctly the restaurant across the road is decent.

Sleeping in the hotel itself is a bit overrated but you’ll enjoy the experience.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Going to the Ice Hotel in Sweden – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.