Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Going to the French Alps in the summer…
  • seadog101

Without bike 🙁 but with family 😀 …

Morzine looks good, so does Lake Annecy. Where else should we investigate? We’re looking for somewhere nice and relaxing, with pretty towns and villages to explore. Not too much strenuous activity, as Mrs Seadog gets tired quick because of complicated health stuff. Must be France for Seadog the Younger to get some french speaking from french folk.

?

nickjb
    Free Member

There is plenty of non bikes stuff to do in Morzine and the surrounding area but it is generally quite an active place. You can use the lifts to do some higher walks without too much over exertion. Beautiful scenery but I think that is pretty universal in the alps. I’ve only passed through annecy and stayed a bit out of town, seemed pretty enough but quite busy and posh. Pyrenees are nice too if that’s an option. Less good for driving to though.

mugsys_m8

Annecy is good. I’d avoid Morzine. Personally though I would recommend Briancon and south through Chateau Queyras, and down the Ubaye valley to Barcelonette. Southern alps. Better and more reliable climate. Does it even have to be the alps? Considered moving around a bit? Maybe Annecy and then Briancon or Barcelonette? Vercors is worth a few days pottering around on the ay down/over but can be cold.

Dan (near Grenoble resident for 8 years)

NZCol

Tick, planning same thing, want to rent a chalet with a pool – Morzine came up as a destination

Stoner
    Free Member

Morzine great option for families.

Options for strenuous and less strenuous activities. And of course day hire of bikes for you.

Great pool complex, lakes and rivers, lift system for even those who run out of oomph to get up to height and fantastic scenery without too much effort.

Day trips and some cultural options, Lac Leman/Thonon/Evian etc.

djglover
    Free Member

We did Samoens with the family this summer, it’s a traditional market town, there is a tree top adventure place, kids loved that, and a swimming lake. It was good, accommodation was with pool and without that and the luck we had with the weather it could have got boring… We also did a day trip to Chamonix. We then moved on to northern Italy which we preferred. Better food, sights, still great scenery.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Going to the French Alps in the summer…’ is closed to new replies.