• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Going to Spain, cash, travellers cheques or credit/debit card?
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

Off to Spain soon, what’s the favourite way of carrying money?

Moses

Not travellers’ cheques.
    Some cash, and a bamk card which doesn’t charge extra fees for overseas transactions. I htink the PO does one.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Halifax Clarity card is all you need.

grantway
    Free Member

I always use the Free easy jet Prepaid Visa card

Duane…
    Free Member

Just been looking at this;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Looks like the Halifax Clarity is the way to go, as said above. Does anyone know what the ATM withdrawal charges are?

Ta,
    Duane.

grantway
    Free Member

I am in Alicante right now and someone said the ATM rate is 1:33
    Best rate to buy Euros in England is Western Union , But pay by Cash only

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ATM rate will be bank dependent?
    Whats the rate difference from the average to the best? Is it worth carrying round all your holiday cash in one lot just to save a couple of quid?

In the last 10 years the only sizable amount of cash I’ve carried abroad was for a villa rental in spain. It’s not cost me much more and the convenience of using a card outweighs the small premium.

Spin
    Free Member

Does anyone use traveller’s cheques these days?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think some of my parents friends did the last time they went away, my folks had a lovely afternoon doing touristy things while the others tried to convert them 😉

IdleJon

In France a few weeks ago we took a couple of hundred in sterling but used our debit cards for most things. Charges were negligible.

I’d imagine the people who use travellers cheques also send postal orders? 😉

kcal

I’ve been looking at the MasterCard cash passport – available through Travelex / Tesco – as a backup (like travellers cheques of old). Load it up with various currencies, then use like a debit/credit card.

Not as an alternative to cash, but a more secure way of carrying some of it.

mogrim

Take a bit of cash and a card, there’s no shortage of cash machines in Spain. While you aren’t particularly likely to be robbed in Spain it does happen, so I wouldn’t carry around large amounts of cash.

And I’m vaguely surprised that travellers’ checks still exist!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Preloaded Euro cards are probably safest – I use a post office one but I’m then bound by their rates. FairFX always seem to have the best rates for preloaded – just takes a bit of forward planning as you have to apply online and wait for it to arrive.

On another note, we went to Copenhagen recently – shopped around for currency before hand and the best I could find was still under 9DKR to the pound. Withdrew some cash on my bank card and got just over 10 so even with the transaction charge of a few quid, it was still 10% better.

DrJ

And I’m vaguely surprised that travellers’ checks still exist!

I’m surprised that checques exist, but apparently they do!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Going to Spain, cash, travellers cheques or credit/debit card?’ is closed to new replies.