Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Going to Plockton for a week…
  • opusone
    Free Member

… In August with the fam, but with permission to go mountain biking. I’ve done the Torridon circuit, the Quiraing and Glen Sligachan (and would be happy to do them again) but is there anything else up there that I don’t know about?

I’ll have my brother with me, who will be mountain bike enabled and has never been there before, so unless there’s something loads better than those above, I might just take him there.

ks562
    Free Member

Think you’ve pretty much nailed my favourites there! Other options are riding over Applecross to Kenmore and back on the coffin road – not quite as epic as Torridon but cracking views and you can finish with a good lunch at the pub in Applecross. Theres always the Ben Damph loop in Torridon, some people love it, I found it a slog, prefer the Torridon lollipop any-day. If you fancied a later afternoon/evening spin from Plockton there is some pretty nice singletrack in the woods near Duncraig and down to Balmacara.

Still if I had to pick two routes to ride it would be Sligachen and Torridon lollipop always!

mrhoppy

Beinn fhadda loop clockwise from morvich. Stunning scenery, proper remote riding and the final descent from Bealach an Sgairne is, for me, the best trail I’ve ridden in the UK and possibly the best full stop. It drops from 520m to sea level in 6km all on singletrack, manages to throw in rocky bits, gully bits, switchbacks, flowy bits, wooded bits, heathery singletrack bits, exposure, epic views and pretty much all rideable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    opusone
    Free Member

Beinn fhadda loop clockwise from morvich. Stunning scenery, proper remote riding and the final descent from Bealach an Sgairne

Do you mean anti-clockwise or am I failing to read a map properly?

twang
    Free Member

Isn’t that anti- clockwise for the Beinn Fhadda loop mrhoppy? Been on my list for sometime but not gotten around to it yet. Much paddling to be done?

EDIT; must learn to type faster 🙂

opusone
    Free Member

@ks562

If you fancied a later afternoon/evening spin from Plockton there is some pretty nice singletrack in the woods near Duncraig and down to Balmacara.

I’ve heard rumours of this. Do you happen to know where I could find a bit more information on this? At the moment all I’ve got to go in is the strava heatmap.

mrhoppy

Yeah, I’m a dumbass, anticlockwise. We did it on a late Easter trip and it was OK, some big but not horrific. August should be fine.

There are 2 hike a bike sections but the scenery makes up for them.

opusone
    Free Member

@mrhoppy. That looks like an excellent day out. I think Torridon plus that plus maybe slig if we get the chance would be a happy week’s riding.

ks562
    Free Member

Feel free to email me on katherine_simpsonAThotmailDOTco.uk and I’ll send you my strava/gpx files for it

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Going to Plockton for a week…’ is closed to new replies.