Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going to New York (Photography equipment question)
  • the_sea_is_silent
    Free Member

As title says. I've got a few days coming up in New York and was wondering if anyone can say whether it's cheaper to buy a new lens / body over there than it is here. If so, where do you recommend for Nikon products?

Edcase
    Free Member

Yes for sure, bhphotovideo.com is the mecca!

mossimus
    Free Member

Yes it will be cheaper in New York. try here

the_sea_is_silent
    Free Member

many thanks.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Only thing to bear in mind is the warranty. Depending on brand, body may only be warrantied in country of purchase but lenses have global warranty. May or may not be an issue but worth checking out.

Also check out http://www.jr.com – B&H is closed on some odd hours, like Saturday, from memory. We were in the area Sat so JR my only option.

I went when it was 2.1 $/£ and JR were happy to see me!

cxi
    Free Member

It's worth visiting B&H just to drool and watch the stock system wizzing around above your head!

donald
    Free Member

And don't forget to pay import duty and VAT when you get home 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Not suggesting for a moment that you'd deliberately flout your responsibilities as a law abiding, tax paying UK resident, but if you want to save a bob or two on import duties, ditch all the packaging and post any receipts / warranties to your home address and claim you took the camera with you from the UK.

And yes, B&H is THE place to be.

grahamb
    Free Member

When a "friend" bought goods at B&H, they offered the worldwide warranty on the items that didn't have it. Seemed like they got a lot of brits making the most of the 2 $/£ exchange rate 🙂

Edcase
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure that most major electronics including Nikon has a 'worldwide' guarantee which covers western world (US/EU etc.) but not Asia, so if you buy from America (like I did…D300 body) you are fine, but if you order on the Internet from Hong Kong you would not be covered.

Oh yeah, and what user-removed said 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going to New York (Photography equipment question)’ is closed to new replies.