• This topic has 53 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Going to Japan who is best to fly with?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Hi off Japan for three weeks in Nov 2016 , who is best to fly with -ideally from Manchester?

Cheers

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

The ones that land there I reckon….. 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I doubt anyone will fly direct from Manchester, so probably better off with either one of the Gulf carriers or Turkish via Istanbul. I think Cathay Pacific also fly out of Manchester now.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Best?

I’d go with BA or JAL, direct. In First. After a private transfer from MAN to LHR.

Or did you mean cheapest? 😉

vondally
    Free Member

Cfh…..middle ground….value, service, comfort. Okay pick 2 from 3….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Finnair are pretty good. Lots of stops, but good value for money.

In cattle, CX via HKG or Singapore via SIN are both good.

However, usually worth looking at a flag carrier from your destination or departure first. So, BA or JAL again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

BA from LHR direct

If you want to save some £ you can look at a stop inc travelling via say Paris, from memory the roite is up over the top so none of the usual suspects like Middle East carriers work. You might want to look at say Cathay via HK

Edit: seem cfh post, Singapore air are fabulous (lived theer 2 years and use them a lot) but imho Sing is a bit too far South to make sense for uk to Japan

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

South, yes, but a good airline counts for a lot over those distances!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Virgin, though you’ll have to get to/through theifrow.

Failing that, we generally chose KLM for a Schipol change to stock up on cheese and stroopwaffels at the airport (living in Japan and visiting the UK/Europe). Though the kettling system at Schipol for the flights to the UK is crap, especially when there’s a delay.

Of course it may depend where you’re going in Japan – I’m assuming Tokyo.

Paris and Frankfurt are the two other obvious 1-stop routes – I wouldn’t go for a far east stopover myself.

vondally
    Free Member

We have had some pretty ropey flights from Nepal over the years and actually fro m USA…so would like a good airline. Just looked at Finn air lots of stops….

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’d forgotten Virgin go direct. We’ve used Virgin a lot for US flights over the years and for economy I’d say they are better then BA.

vondally
    Free Member

All Nippon airways???? Anyone used them?

poonprice
    Free Member

Just don’t fly Alitalia, worst flight i’ve ever been on.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Last time I dared to use a Japanese carrier for long-haul the seat pitch seemed ridiculous – might have just been unlucky, the internet suggests they are all much the same really. Would be ok if you’re under 5’6″ though, and the food will add to the experience, as will the 250 Japanese gawking at you and asking if you can use chopsticks (don’t worry, I’m joking, that only starts when you land there).

dantsw13

ME!!!! I fly 777 for BA and fly to Tokyo, either HND OR NRT twice a month. Let me know when you are flying and I’ll get on the trip!

Virgin pulled off all Japan flights last year.

vondally
    Free Member

Dantsw….does it make any difference which airport we land at?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

dantsw13, I’m a regular in CW or F to the US, about once a month. Heading back to Asia on a more regular basis again now as well. Spend plenty of time in the 77, depending on routes obviously.

Will have to track your sectors! Come and join me for a refreshing beverage when you’re on crew rest. Or, even better, make sure I’m in F more often…! 😉

hegdehog
    Free Member

Really depends where you are trying to get to in Japan..

If Tokyo, imo the best (& i think quickest) route from Manchester is via Helsinki so worth checking with BA & Finnair..

dirtyrider
    Free Member

15 posts between question and actual pilot for the flight your after

Not bad

vondally
    Free Member

Dirtyrider…I know so cool eh…..

dantsw13

Vondally, not really. Until recently International carriers were only allowed into NRT, HND was JAL ANA only. BA recently supported JAL through bankruptcy, and part of the deal was a slot into HND. Its like LHR/LGW really.

CFH – I mainly fly HND/NRT/PVG/HKG/EZE/GIG, but I occasionally venture west to SEA/DEN/SAN/SFO, in fact I’m off to SEA tomorrow. I take my bike nearly everywhere – Im planning a ride around Bainbridge Island, but someone planned the rugby for 0900 West Coast time so I can’t decide which one misses out!

I’ll keep an eye open for you on my flights – I’m assuming your sartorial elegance will make you obvious?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm, I do SFO occasionally, and SEA about twice a year en route to Montana. I’ve got HKG coming up soon as well, and a possible PVG. Will have to drop you a line…! 🙂

TheFlyingOx

We flew Air France from Edinburgh via Charles de Gaulle to Narita, and they were great. Sign up for the Flying Blue club and you get into the AirFrance lounge for free food & booze and time away from the hoi polloi.

dantsw13

If you mention your trips on here I’ll notice if I’m away the same time, and we can have a beer.

chewkw
    Free Member

Emirates airline perhaps? Changing at Dubai.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

^^ 😆

Marvellous!

TrekEX8
    Free Member

These aren’t just acronyms!
    They’re TLAs!

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL!

cheers_drive

BA and Air Nippon in business were much the same IIRC

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TLA? Never flown there. Looks pretty wild country, though.

batfink
    Free Member

I fly Qantas to Haneda relatively often…… don’t s’pose that really helps?

IGMC

pondo

We’re off there next month, Air China going Heathrow – Beijing – Tokyo. Let you know how it goes. 🙂

Caher

Korean Air lines.

vondally
    Free Member

Pondo please update when you get back.

pondo

No sweat, will do, buddy. 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Don’t go from Heathrow unless it’s a lot cheaper. It’s a god awful place that is horrendous to get to. If Manchester is your local airport then I suspect one of the gulf carriers will be the cheapest and best. Emirates, Qatar and Etihad all fly out of Manchester. They are basically the best airlines in the World. Why would you go to eat grow to fly a worse airline?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Just flown back from Osaka to Manchester with Emiratres changing at Dubai. Although Emirates was good and the flights were on time it is the bloody long way round compared to over the top from LHR or Schiphol and if things go wrong with your transfer you’ll be stuck in Dubai seven hours from home. On the way out to Shanghai the A380 was stuck on the tarmac at Manchester for 3 hours due to technical problem which meant I missed my connection in Dubai and had to re-route via Taipei. Next time I need to go to Japan I’ll probably go back to using KLM from Schiphol.

mlpinto
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to do Lufthansa business, BA business, JAL F and business from the UK and NZ business from NZ.JAL was head and shoulders above the others.

Whatever you decide, enjoy being there. That’s the important bit and I’m very jealous

Harry_the_Spider

I went with KLM.

Don’t go with KLM.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Going to Japan who is best to fly with?’ is closed to new replies.