Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Going to Baseball in Miami…worth it?
  • priceyboy
    Free Member

Me and Mrs Priceyboy are off to Miami in June for three days prior to a cruise.

The Miami Marlins are playing the New York Mets on the Friday night, worth a punt?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you watched it on tv? Probably better with atmosphere but didn’t get it when it was on in the sports bars over there.

Duggan

Got to be worth a punt surely? I’d deffo go I presume you don’t get the chance every week

trail_rat
    Free Member

We did in san francisco. I would recomend it , once you work it out thees actually quite a bit of strategy behind what they are doing – as with most sports.

Cant be doing with most sports on tv especially footie … But dont actually mind watching a game at a stadium.

I would suggest paying slightly more for a lower down seat as those stadiums are big ….. You can be a long ways away

American sports especially most of what goes on at e stadium is lost on tv. End of session shows , the family fun aspect they deliver and there doesnt seem to be the spectator agression you get at uk footie – im sure its there but we only saw people getting on with each other where as the limited foot ball games ive been to ive witnessed alot of agression and fighting .

Ive seen basketball , icehockey and baseball – they have all exceeded expectations i had based on watching them on tv occasionally .

br
    Free Member

Yes, but don’t be surprised if no one hits a home run. In fact don’t be surprised if no one hits the ball for an innings.

shifter
    Free Member

Highly recommended. Been to a few Rockies games and loved it.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Anybody going to Miami these days should visit Miami Beach and take pictures. You will be able to show your grandkids how it looked before it was abandoned

v8ninety

Went to see Oakland Athletic vs <some team from Texas> in Oakland a few years ago. Despite having no clue what was going on, we heartily enjoyed it, couldn’t recommend it more. Just get nattering to the Americans around you; in my experience they really enjoyed explaining it all to the the daft English couple. Lovely atmosphere, still wouldn’t watch the game on telly (but then I don’t really enjoy watching any sport on telly) but would go again at the drop of a hat.

Oakland won, too

eruptron
    Free Member

A big yes from me, we did a game at Cleverland Indians. Sat in the bleachers the temp was 100.I didn’t think I would enjoy it but it was ace. The highlight was 2 blokes wrestling on the floor for a ball that was hit for a HR then a small kid ran up and nipped in and had the ball away. Comical.
    There was the crowd booing at another fan for not throwing another HR ball back from the opposition.Crowd etiquet was really interesting.
    They also had some sort of dance thing after 7 1/2 innings which apparently was half time 😯
    I was only disappointed to not get a baseball cap with 2 tins of beer and a straw.

luke
    Free Member

I follow the Angels, planning our next trip stateside at the moment and will defiantly be grabbing a game.

tonyg2003

I go to the Detroit Tigers a few times a season. I do enjoy it (favourite US sport after Ice Hockey). It a good relaxed day or evening out. The lack of athleticism of some of the guys (the Tigers old first base was a good example) is always amusing.

shifter
    Free Member

Eruptron – the funny little dance would be the seventh inning stretch.
    There’s also a quaint song they sing at the start.

Pigface
    Free Member

Hell yes, love baseball, 3 days to the start of the season, go Orioles

Try and get an idea of how baseball works, as said it is very strategic, when you see how fast a closer can pitch it makes you respect the players even more.

Have a wander around the park, get some food, enjoy the atmosphere

I will be seeing a few Rockies games this year.

jimjam
    Free Member

Ooh dat humidity do. Be prepared to sweat.

Cougar

If you like cricket but find a bit too exciting, you’ll love baseball.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cougar meh 😀

Hope you get to see a home run, the last Rockies game I went to saw a home run from just off home plate, it seemed to fly for ages and cleared the wall, really impressive

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Or at least somebody hit something….
    Think I got through dinner in a bar over there with 2 guys basically playing catch while nothing else happened.

konabunny
    Free Member

Baseball is definitely a sport to watch in person, not on TV

Baseball games are really fun, it’s like a picnic in the sun with lots going on. Never seen any aggro whatsoever although I’m sure if there are 50,000 ppl you’ll find one arsehole – but easy to avoid

Take sun protection (cream and long sleeves)/warm clothes (depending on whether day or night game), also water (if security let you). You’re outside for a long time and the number of people who sit there letting their skin cells get traumatised is unreal…

Sundayjumper

Went to a Padres game in San Diego a couple of years ago. Lots of families, good atmosphere, clearly a great day out for the people there. The nice chap at the pushchair parking area gave my daughter a complimentary Padres beany hat & foam baseball which she loved.

But I really didn’t “get” the game. Very little hitting of balls and constant breaks for other things to go on. We got a bit bored and left before the end.

The highlight was the fact you could buy beer in 710ml cans 🙂

(it was rubbish beer)

konabunny
    Free Member

The DC ballpark has a food van gastro area and a wide range of non-Coors beers!

Cougar

Tell you what is worth it, mind. Get yourself to a hockey game.

http://panthers.nhl.com/

GTDave
    Free Member

Saw the Marlins last year. Good experience, seemed very surreal taking in the size of the stadium, then realising it was fully air conditioned and under cover.
    Few beers in the Clevelander afterwards. It does get a bit dicey around there later in the evening though.

eruptron
    Free Member

shifter – Member
    Eruptron – the funny little dance would be the seventh inning stretch.
    There’s also a quaint song they sing at the start.

That’s the one. Had no prior warning so it was a WTF moment. But a great day out.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Going to Baseball in Miami…worth it?’ is closed to new replies.