• This topic has 38 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fabiana7-spam.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Going to Barcelona – what should I not miss?
  • tommo999
    Free Member

The new wife and I are off for our belated honeymoon in Barcelona next week. What should we be making an effort to get to see?

We are staying in Granollers and will be travelling in to the city – what’s the quickest way? Train I’m guessing?

Should be a fun, child free, few days.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Probably best to not miss the flight. 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

Camp Nou stadium tour if you’re a football fan. International break so unlikely to be any live games, unfortunately.

La Sagrada Familia if you’re into 100 year old still unfinished churches

project
    Free Member

What should we be making an effort to get to see?

the airport

wallop

Sinatra’s for Tapas – in the old town bit.

Don’t bother with the cable car.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Tipidabo, up the funicular, see the bikes on the way down and nice when you are up there

GJP
    Free Member

Joan miro museum for some modern art. A bit of a trek IIRC.

wallop

Tipidabo

+1 – couldn’t remember what it was called. Take a camera!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Take the three tourist buses, red, green and blue.

Sagrada familia – stunning.

Take in a tea dance at the park designed by gaudi.

Keep yer wallet in yer front pocket.

DO NOT miss eating at a restaurant called ‘pla’. Gorgeous. There is also one called repla from same owner.

Awesome city, been twice for a week both times, gets an unfair rep for tea leaves, but it’s a big city, so be sensible.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Take her for dinner at Passadis.

Trust me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh, and a restaurant called ‘sept portes’ down the front for the best paella in the city.

Mackem

try to avoid pickpockets and catalans.

Nick

Guell Palace
    Park Guell
    Picasso Museum
    Las Ramblas
    The Market just off Las Ramblas
    La Sagrada Familia is pretty epic, very vertiginous

Nobby

The places already mentioned plus the Cathedral, the lanes & arty district around it, Gaudi museum, parc cuidadela the zoo, the marina & seafront – there’s shed loads. Been going there for years & love the city – never had any grief, even on Las Ramblas.

Shame. You’re not there in about 3 weeks – could’ve shown you a few bars & eateries worth a visit. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Been going there for years & love the city – never had any grief, even on Las Ramblas.

Agreed. Ignore ignorant* fools like Mackem.
    * Bordering on racially offensive, too.

Sandwich

La Sagrada Familia if you’re into 100 year old still unfinished churches

Pah, amateurs. We didn’t finish St Edmunds until 2000. They have a way to go to beat that!

GJP
    Free Member

I have only been there once and on my first night a local tried to mug me on Las Ramblas. I gave him a good kicking 😀

Word must have got around that there was an angry disrespectful scouser in town, as after that my stay was without incident.

tommo999
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, some great sounding places to see. Can’t wait.

jambalaya
    Free Member

This restaurant is one of my favourites anywhere in the world, great seafood, full dinner or a bite at the long bar. link

Aside to that above I’d make sure you take a stroll around the marina near arts hotel (avoid touristy restaurants) then along the beach. The night clubs there are not bad if you fancy that.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why go to the ramblas? If you have seen one person sprayed with silver paint standing very still you have seen them all.
    It’s full of gormless tourists just like any other big city pleb magnet like Leicester square for Catalans. You are better off either side in the born,Ciutat Vella or above the diagonal in Gracia.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

A club called La Terraza in the Olympic village. Blinding night out!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

La Boqueria. The big food market on Las Ramblas. Think it’s at Liceu(?) metro stop. Spectacular.

Also El Xampanyet – a bar in a side street near the Dali museum. Got that “all human life is here” feel. Fantastic tapas and rivers of Cava.

ianv
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member

Barcelona motion timelapse

[video]http://vimeo.com/76440793[/video]

hora
    Free Member

The veggie falafel place in los ramblos

IanW
    Free Member

Sagrada never did it for me, not a patch on the English or French catherdrals, unless your into concrete shutter work.

Temple De Sagrat Cor on Tibado mountain would be my recommendation.

Its got it all vernacular railway, neverending staircases , then a strange little lift operated by a monk type person who looks like St. Peter to me.

As a reward you get the best views of Barcelona from a viewing point completing unhindered by health and safety..brilliant.

Second spot is the Beach although maybe not this time of year, third Tapas in the gothic area.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The veggie falafel place in los ramblos

That’s on par with recommending Garfunkles Leicester square to somebody who wants some British cuisine while visiting London when Rules, the Ivy and the Savoy are just round the corner.

MrSmith
    Free Member

vernacular

Funicular

fourbanger
    Free Member

Awesome city. Just spent a month there. Just get involved!
    A transsexual hooker tried to lift my wallet on the ramblas at about 2 in the morning. I was sober and told her to do one. I’m not saying it’s full of pickpockets, but keep your wits about you.
    Pipe Club is a cool little place and Razmataz on a Sunday was ace. Clubbing starts late, doors only open at midnight.
    Hotel 1898 has a cool rooftop bar, good for a sundowner. L’ovella Negra was good little drinking den with charector for cheap drinks.
    Have fun!

IanW
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    vernacular

Funicular

Ta wasn’t sure and let spell check take over.

razorrazoo

Great city, been a couple of times. The tourist buses are perfect for seeing a lot of the sights and you can hop on and off. Also recommend walking around the back streets to the left of Las Ramblas (if you are looking down it towards the port, loads of interesting restaurants, cafes and bars there.

On the pickpockets front, make sure you avoid the groups of girls who tend to be nearer the bottom end of Las Ramblas during the evening. If you’re a target they’ll be all over you in a harassing sort of way and if you don’t have your wits about you wallet, watch, phone etc will be gone. Don’t think the whole place is like this, just be aware as last time I was there, (albeit on a stag do so lets just say some were none too complicit) a few of my friends were robbed.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Top, top tapas – cerveseria-catalana
    Anchovies the size of which i guess are not seen outside of Spain, spanish omelette a little 6″ circle of foody delight as they are freshly made, to order…. Be prepared to wait for a table, though – very popular with locals

fourbanger
    Free Member

Good restaurant called Vellodromo. Went for the name, went back for the food!

plumber
    Free Member

Guell Palace
    Park Guell
    Picasso Museum
    Las Ramblas
    The Market just off Las Ramblas
    La Sagrada Familia is pretty epic, very vertiginous

all that plus any Gaudi tourist building, the old town catherdaral, modern art museum.

Just opposite the modern art museum in placa dels angels theres a ‘locals’ cafe/restaurant, much the best food I had in Barcelona and soooooo much cheaper too –

dooosuk
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Gaudi’s “House of Bones” when I visited.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Tourists go to La Boqueria as it’s right on the ramblas with its falafel, mime artists and slices of pizza for €2
    You are better off having a wander round Abaceria market in Gracia or the big Sant Antoni market for less tourists and more ‘authentic’

technicallyinept
    Free Member

The sex museum is good fun. A lot of Picasso’s early sketches are more explicit than anything in there.

plyphon
    Free Member

If you’re into house & techno check out Moog, gets good about 2am.

There is a great cocktail & burger bar near the beach on the very far right if you’re coming from Rambla.

Pickpockets are easy to spot, stay away. We didn’t have any issues but spotted the gangs from miles off every time.

Best places I enjoyed was up the big hill thing and at the top of the diagonal.

johnx2
    Free Member

Barcelona’s my second favourite child free city break after Berlin, though it works with kids too as it goes. We’ve been a few times, with and without.

Anyway, don’t miss the actual beach for a stroll along the prom prom prom, and get stand in the toes. It will be a good deal warmer than Scarborough in an August heatwave*.

Montserat’s worth the effort for getting out of town, with some good waymarked walks.

Oh and the huge wild area, behind Tibidabo is good for a stroll. Saw a couple of interesting looking trails in there as it goes… Had we had longer I might have tried to hire a bike.

*Ok the air might not be – av. temp 20ish – but the sea bloody will. I’ve been a few times and surfed there in December in a very thin wetty. First thing in the morning – blue skies, bright sun, warm, funny tasting water…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Going to Barcelona – what should I not miss?’ is closed to new replies.