Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going to America with work – any point in bike related shopping?
  • poppa
    Free Member

The question is in the title – does the rubbish exchange rate make it pointless to go buying bike bits, or are the US prices lower even with the exchange rate accounted for? Any ideas?

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s still cheaper. buy buy buy.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about this as i’m off to the states in 2 weeks. Best bet i guess is to look over a few US based bike shop sites and see how prices compare from here to there.

May still be cheaper for US based brands but i don’t think there will be any bargains in the same vein as 12 months ago when it was $2 to £1.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steve_b77
    Free Member

SRAM stuff is much cheaper over there than it is here.

Even with the bobbins exchange rate, bits are still cheaper.

For example a Chumba XCL frame is US$1450, and over here they’re £1350, as US$1450 = £974, vertible bargain if you ask me 😆

uplink
    Free Member

I think the best rate you’ll get – in your hand – at the moment is 1.475

But there are still some great bargains to be had

dave360

Not as good as you might think once sales tax has been added.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Won’t there be an import tax if you bring it back to UK?

I was looking into buying a bike from wiggle or crc and sending it to oz but there’s something like a 10% import tax iirc

aP
    Free Member

As Dave360 syas you’ll be adding in 5 or 8% sales tax to those prices (unless you fill out a waiver and declare them on return to the UK).

aphex_2k
    Free Member

or stick a bow on it and mark it as “gift” ?

Shack
    Free Member

I’ve always found Salsa bits really cheap in the states. The QR skewars are really good and under $20 there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going to America with work – any point in bike related shopping?’ is closed to new replies.