Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Going to a Sikh wedding…
  • Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

What to cover my head with? I know many places supply something but just in case! I guess a plain bandana would do? Might look odd with the suit though!

Any one got any tips?

SSP

Apparently a cycling cap is OK if you are visiting the Golden Temple at Amritsar 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

sikh and you shall find

cynic-al
    Free Member

Buff? Full face helmet? Wannabee Turban?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Get a nice smart hat? Trilby? Panama? Bowler?

🙂

donald
    Free Member

sikhiwiki

Great name for a website

RaglanSurf
    Free Member

I've been to a Sikh naming ceremony (like a Christening), it really doesn't matter what you use to be honest, I used the nicely pressed hanky from the top pocket in my suit as my Sikh mate hadn't bothered to warn me. A lot of others did the same, as long as you show respect you'll be fine. Try and use a clean one though 😉

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Great thinking! Just bought a nice palin black buff to replace my nasty, faded, thread-bare blue one 🙂

SSP

roper
    Free Member

Just something smart and understated with a level of sophistication should do the job.

crikey
    Free Member

"One always looks neat, in a hat made from meat."
    -Mark Twain

http://www.hatsofmeat.com/frame.html

Elmo
    Free Member

I'm going to one one too.

My mates thought (Sikh) is that anything will do. But nothing lairy!

I've bought a 60cm square of cream material-the lady at dunelm said £1!and hemmed it.
    I now have bandana that matches my suit!

anjs
    Free Member

I was told the head covering should not be either black or white at the last Sikh wedding I attended

eldridge
    Free Member

I'm guessing this wedding is in Britain somewhere?

And you are guests of people who would consider themselves British?

So dress as if you are going to a British wedding.

FFS What is your problem?

funkynick

When I went, which was a few years ago, we didn't even think about it until we got there, and then there was a mad panic to find something suitable… in the end we used triangular bandages as one of the folks I went with was a paramedic and he had a big first-aid kit in his car!

Oh, and it was quite possibly one of the most alcoholic days of my life!!!

MartynS

I love the idea of wearing your helmet…!

singlespeedstu

Wear your Knights helmet with pride. 😉

trailmonkey

Dressing to go to a British wedding means careful consideration to adhere to the many customs observed in our multi cultural society.
    Despite what you might wish for, British does not solely mean white, christian/secular.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

eldridge – Member

So if you go to a Christian wedding you don't need to adhere to custom either? Like men not wearing a hat in church and women should wear a hat in church.

Showing respect to the odd beliefs of people is merely polite

hora
    Free Member

Wish I was going to a Sikh wedding. Lucky barsteward 🙁

trailmonkey

Like men not wearing a hat in church and women should wear a hat in church.

Is that right ? I never knew that. So much for the modern church eh ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup. Women having to wear a hat is not really seen as important anymore I believe. However for a man to wear a hat is very disrespectful

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What tyres for a Sikh wedding?

white101

I have never been so drunk in my life as I was at my mates (Sikh) wedding, good god those guys like a drink (and it was all free to :D) the food was fantastic and the music was amazing.
    Was one of the last ever big weddings at the now (long) departed Mayfair Ballroom in Newcastle. What a day.

Why are my smiley faces things not working?

jabbathehut
    Free Member

its all about respecting other peoples customs.

What is your problem?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Black buff was great in the end. Lots of the other people had not brought anything but there were plenty of scaves to borrow. Proceedings were delayed a little but there was chai and samosas to keep us busy.

Service was interesting and pretty loud and I didn't quite know what was happening but it was a relaxed atmosphere and much more fun than the normal CoE dirge!. The reception was also pretty loud with lots of great food and wall-to-wall booze! Ended up leaving a little early as the music was so loud the drinks were moving across the table!

SSP

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Ended up leaving a little early as the music was so loud the drinks were moving across the table!

thats a sign of getting old!!

although i did fall asleep at a party last night with the music pumping!!!

eldridge
    Free Member

If he goes dressed as a British person no-one could possibly be offended because

its all about respecting other peoples customs

It cuts both ways, you see

Sorry to have to point out the obvious

eldridge
    Free Member

trailmonkey

Despite what you might wish for, British does not solely mean white, christian/secular

Have I in any possible way given any definition of what I wish "British" means?

So how do you know that I define British as white, Christian, or secular?

Anyone can wear what they want to anyone's wedding because on both sides

its all about respecting other peoples customs

<repeating himself>

It cuts both ways, you see

</repeating himslelf>

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That he's going to look like a **** wearing a top hat ?

eldridge
    Free Member

Aha! We have a stereotypical definition of what one wears for a British wedding:

wearing a top hat

I'm British, and I didn't wear a top hat to either of my weddings. And I "respected the custom" of other people who didn't, too. I even "respected the custom" of people who wore jeans and t-shirts, because I didn't put some stupid, mediaeval, atavistic religious bollox into the equation.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Crikey, I knew nothing about this and we're going to a sikh wedding soon – in the Punjab ! We're scared and excited…wonder what else we don't know.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Aha! We have a stereotypical definition of what one wears for a British wedding

Since the question was : "What to cover my head with?" I think it's very fair to comment that 'top hats' is what one covers one head at a 'British' wedding.

What do you suggest – a baseball cap ? Presumably baseball caps were worn at your wedding along with the 'jeans and t-shirts' ?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I was given a a head scarf to put on my head when I went to a friend's brother's wedding in the temple. Like a few people have already said if you are a man be prepared to drink extremely heavily (at the wedding I went to there was a bottle of whiskey, vodka, bacardi and gin for every four men plus an endless stream of beer) if you are a woman get ready for a sober night. If you are going with the gf/wife then you have to sit at separate tables as same sex can only sit together. The food was amazing and as my friend's family were a high cast the band were a big bangra group (a bit like having U2 playing at your wedding!).

smurf
    Free Member

I had a Sikh wedding. I'm white, British and my wife is Indian, British.

We had a mix of Sikh tradition and a civil ceremony. During the actual Sikh ceremony (about 45mins) I wore a turban as that's the done thing and what my wife's family wanted. Surprisingly hot to wear!

All in all, it was a fantastic day. Since we've been together I've been to more Sikh weddings that non-Sikh – one particulary memorable one was when a Brazilian girl married an Indian guy – dancers seemingly hot from the streets of Rio turned up 🙂

smurf

johnners
    Free Member

I didn't put some stupid, mediaeval, atavistic religious bollox into the equation.

Way to go with that "respecting the custom" thing.

lost-time
    Free Member

Ask someone (sikh) who is going to the wedding what to wear. But remember, if a Sikh was attending a non-Sikh wedding would you expect them not to wear a turban in respect of other ppls beliefs? No you wouldn't.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Wow this thread is just like the forum in minature. Starts with a question which draws a few helpful replies then is descends in to 2 or 3 idiots arguing off at a tangent and looking for all the world like they have internet-touretts as well as their heads up their bottoms.

I really wonder why I bother checking here.

And yes I am getting old (and I'm not a big drinker!) although the men and women could sit at the same tables at the reception.

SSP

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I really wonder why I bother checking here.

SSP you've been on this forum long enough to know that, anyone seeking advise concerning a religious service or a minority ethic community's customs, risks getting stick from those who are completely intolerant of other people's beliefs and lifestyles.

I don't believe for a minute you are that naive. You might well be disappointed, but I don't expect you to be surprised.

Whatever you decide to wear, I hope you enjoy your Sikh wedding – I only wish I had the opportunity to go to one. And certainly experiencing other cultures and traditions will broaden your horizons far beyond those of narrow minded and insular bigots. Have a good one 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm off to my drinking buddies wedding in September, can't wait, hadn't even though about getting a hat!

Might pop into the tailors an get something made matching the tie, no idea if it will look awesome or silly, but at least it shows effort.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

SSP you've been on this forum long enough to know that, anyone seeking advise concerning a religious service or a minority ethic community's customs, risks getting stick from those who are completely intolerant of other people's beliefs and lifestyles.

Its only been this consitantly bad since the Xmas killing of the old forum. Sure the previous years it had its bad patches but it always returned to mainly bikes / helpful stuff and the odd "its all kicking off" thread.

I remember GoFar and 9Feet.com now I am old!

SSP

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Going to a Sikh wedding…’ is closed to new replies.