Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • going to 10 speed…
  • gonzy
    Free Member

after many, many years of resisting the urge to upgrade my transmission i’ve now given in and will be taking the plunge to 10 speed…
    my current set up is a 2×8 which runs perfectly and consists of:
    8sp cassette
    8 sp shifters
    8 sp chain
    9sp front and rear mech
    9 sp cranks and chainrings

i know i’ll need a new shifter, cassette, rear mech and chain…to save a bit of cash/weight i’ll be going to a 1×10 setup but my question is this:
    will a 10 speed chain work on a 9 speed front chainring or will i need to change this to a 10 speed also?
    any advice on this from the STW massive will be gratefully appreciated

toppers3933
    Free Member

it will work fine on a 9speed ring.

johnellison
    Free Member

Yes. The only difference between a 9 speed and 10 speed chain is that the 10 speed has thinner side plates and shorter rivets. The rollers (and hence the gap between the plates) are the same.

The only caveat is that depending upon how worn your chainrings are, you may experience chain suck or slippage with a new chain.

Mackem

What are you planning on using to keep the chain on?

Personally, I wouldnt bother with a guide or using the front mech. Just invest in a new thin/thick chainring. You’ll therefore have a completely new drivetrain so none of the associated probalems with a new chain.

gonzy
    Free Member

thanks guys…the front chain ring is only 2 rides old so hopefully should be fine

razorrazoo

Why not just buy a narrow wide chain ring & make sure you get a clutch mech instead of the chain device you will need to get if running 1×10 on a standard ring?

gonzy
    Free Member

What are you planning on using to keep the chain on?

currently using a blackspire stinger…but the new rear mech will be clutched

Mackem

..should be fine then.

gonzy
    Free Member

any advice on what ratio to go for on the cassette with a 32 tooth front ring?

razorrazoo

Bah, Mackem beat me to it. I still say sell your old (new) ring and still go N/W & clutch.

waldo1
    Free Member

I’ve got some xx1 chainset with 32t ring and gxp bb for sale. No chainguide needed.

razorrazoo

11-36 is what I am using with a 32T.

gonzy
    Free Member

I’ve got some xx1 chainset with 32t ring and gxp bb for sale. No chainguide needed.

sorry i bought a new chainset and b/b a few months ago so i’m going to stick with them…like i said i need to do this as cheaply as possible…only way the wife will allow me to spend on the bike especially with child number 3 on the way

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘going to 10 speed…’ is closed to new replies.