Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Going SPD…what do i need to buy?
  • v666ern
    Free Member

am going to swap pedals with someone who has a set of mtb spd’s (the usual flats on one side spd on other)

stupid question part…what do i need to allow for, is it just buy any old pair of spd shoes and away i go? also anybody got any size uk10’s!? 😀

im aiming to use the pedals on my fixie if that is an issue?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

You’ll need cleats for the shoes too.

binners

What do you need to buy? Spd’s on a fixie?

Some new knees after about a week, I reckon

v666ern
    Free Member

so how much are we talking…without the pedals? rough idea…£50 all in?

alfabus
    Free Member

a set of mtb spd’s (the usual flats on one side spd on other)

That’s not really ‘the usual’.. that is either touring pedals, or those god awful semi cage, semi spud things. They will make it harder for you to make the transition to spds… get some decent double sided ones or you’ll be forever trying to flip the pedal over before you clip in.

stupid question part…what do i need to allow for, is it just buy any old pair of spd shoes and away i go?

Pretty much, yeah – make sure you’ve got some cleats – they normally come with the pedals, but if you’re getting them 2nd hand, you might need to buy some separately.

im aiming to use the pedals on my fixie if that is an issue?

No issues beyond the usual questions to your mental health related to riding fixed 😉

Dave

lowey

Some Knee pads for when you fall over.

jamesco

Spd on a fixie , ok on a track but a bit risky on the road, years ago I trained fixed wheel with strap in pedals , co-ordination needs to be excellent I had a few bad offs, but spd will be better I guess, twist and out ,as opposed to twist and shout (in anguish). May be a song or book title in there , ‘Dont look Back In Anguish ‘

Edric64
    Free Member

Whats wrong with spd s on a fixie?

v666ern
    Free Member

have the cage styles at the minute and there lethal!

best desciption is they came on my mates speccy fsr xc…so flats on one side spd on other…ive already told him to go for a set of flats!

cheers all! 😀

ps im not the cool fixie rider, im the wobbler!

binners

Whats wrong with spd s on a fixie?

You may reach a critical mass of twattishness and explode. Don’t put a flat cap on or grow a beard, whatever you do!! 😀

v666ern
    Free Member

already on the beard! **** levels are high!

i think id rather try spd’s on the fixie as at least i can remove feet before i take flight across the pavement again 😯

fourbanger
    Free Member

First thing you need to do is read this thread:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-you-oldest-bit-of-bike-kit-component-that-you-use-regularly
    And count how many times shimano are mentioned for their SPD build quality.

BigJohn

I ride a fixie as my pub/shopping/commute bike. I usually have it with clips’n’straps or flat pedals. If out on a longer ride I put SPDs on it. Clipping in and unclipping takes a bit of getting used to – and my mountain bike is SPD only.

So I would definitely say get used to SPDs on a freewheel-equipped bike first. Trying to clip out at the top of the pedal stroke is near impossible and you will get hurt and/or run over.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Shimano M520 Spd’s (with cleats) £20
    Shoes will be from about £30 upwards new.

v666ern
    Free Member

big John, i flipped my rear last night *own up time* i was riding SS freewheel to that previously and have just about got used to it…think i may take your advice and get used to fixie first

i am gonna try the spd’s from my mate though just use the flat side first, its gotta be better than constantly flipping the cage and straps on mine and faffing at traffic lights!

v666ern
    Free Member

cheers funky dunc…ill stick a wanted up

madhouse

Can vouch for the low end shimano stuff, got cheap SPD’s and shoes when I first ventured away from flats.

I’m still using the pedals and cleats 4 years on. The shoes got upgraded last year.

TiRed

That’s not really ‘the usual’..

It’s usual on my mountain bikes. I think they are great, especially if you sharpen the nubs on the flat side. I ride Look on the Fixed.

You’ll need some cheap shoes and cleats.

Double sided spds are a little easier to start on fixed, because although you don’t realize, when you clip in, you are normally coasting on a non-fixed bike. You can’t do this when riding fixed. So accuracy is everything.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d be careful buying spd’s secondhand to make sure they come with cleats. Cleats themselves are £10 + to buy so just as cheap to buy a new set of spd’s that come with cleats.

BigJohn

1 – Get used to riding fixed (without SPD)
    2 – Get used to SPD (with freewheel)
    3 – Then, in 6 months or so, combine the two.

its gotta be better than constantly flipping the cage and straps

I’ve never had any trouble getting my feet in or out of the clips, but I have been riding that combo since about 1967.

prezet
    Free Member

Spd on a fixie , ok on a track but a bit risky on the road, years ago

Load of tosh. I ride spd’s on my fixie for my daily 15 mile round commute. No problems. No off’s. Used to run straps, which are more of a pain than they’re worth.

I have mine set fairly loose, and most of the time don’t even think about clipping in/out.

PaulD
    Free Member

Ok, the jury favours double-sided SPD pedals.

I offer you a brand new pair of SPD M505 double-sided black pedals with their new cleats and reflectors for £15 posted.

You will only need the shoes with the MTB cleat holes.

Email me if interested.

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

theflatboy
    Free Member

my first stint of fixie riding was on spds, and i didn’t have any stacks as a result. rode it like that for a long time.

having said that, i had many years of spd riding behind me so that wasn’t an adaptation i had to make simultaneously. both together i would say is risky.

v666ern
    Free Member

PaulD, i have the pedals on the way…but if you have some size 10 spd shoes id be interested!

cheers!

jamesco

prezet – Member

Load of tosh. I ride spd’s on my fixie for my daily 15 mile round commute. No problems. No off’s. Used to run straps, which are more of a pain than they’re worth.

I have mine set fairly loose, and most of the time don’t even think about clipping in/out.

As theflatboy says its doing both as a new venture thats the hard part,especially as this guy has no experience of either, coordination is everything, maybe you run shin protection prezet ?

PaulD
    Free Member

v,

Glad you have the pedals sorted…I know you will be pleased with SPDs.

I had a fixie 40 years ago, with toe clips and straps with alloy cleats nailed to my leather soled cycling slippers…..what I would have given for SPDs!

Sorry about size 10; I am a 7, or 8 with winter sox.

PaulD

prezet
    Free Member

As theflatboy says its doing both as a new venture thats the hard part,especially as this guy has no experience of either, coordination is everything, maybe you run shin protection prezet ?

Nope, I’d never run spd’s before, swapped them for my cage/straps – no problems. In fact wondered why I hadn’t done it sooner. Double sided helps, but it’s not hard to get clipped in, if you miss it the crank will soon be coming back around, then just clip in.

prezet
    Free Member

Oops – didn’t see OP is still getting used to fixed. In that case I’d suggest sticking to flats for now until you at least master how to ride it. Personally I’ve never had an issue riding fixed, except for my first outing where I tried to freewheel approaching a set of traffic lights. Ended up legs splayed, cranks spinning under me. Didn’t make that mistake again.

Just keep the mantra going in your head ‘pedal, pedal, pedal’ and soon it’ll come naturally. Now I don’t even think about it. Although I’m not one of these nutters who rides brakeless as I do a lot of riding through the city centers, and need to stop in a hurry.

Just plan ahead.

prezet
    Free Member

Oh, and also, don’t lean to hard into corners, if you’ve not found out yet, pedal strike is an interesting thing…

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah i only had one really proper “moment” getting used to fixed, and it was a week or so in. going down a slight incline for some reason i switched off and very nearly got bucked off in the process. somehow managed to get it back under control and rode out of it. didn’t happen again after that, which i’m quite glad about!

andyl
    Free Member

if they are black plastic flat on one side with reflectors it may well clip off and be a normal 2 sided SPD as they come with clip in platforms. Not sure the clip in platforms are supposed to be used in anger though.

TiRed

I was always of the opinion that NOT clipped into fixed was more dangerous, because when one’s feet detach at speed it is very hard to regain control. You’ll be fine. you’ll forget to unclip and fall off at least once. But the fixed part isn’t an issue. Oh and you’ll feel like you will be thrown off over the first speed bump – don’t coast!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Going SPD…what do i need to buy?’ is closed to new replies.