Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • going riding without an hydration pack . . .
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

. . call me crazy, . . but tonight i’m contemplating just this . . .

Pocketed jersey so, tube, tool, wallet, phone okay . . .

but where is the best place to put my mini pump, gaffa taped to the top tube or seat pin, or somewhere else?

crikey
    Free Member

Colon.

JoB
    Free Member

errr, call me crazy, but, um, pocket?

crikey
    Free Member

Stick it to your frame, just don’t forget it; I’ve had 3 punctures today…

theblackmount
    Free Member

Wallet and phone? Yup,I call you crazy 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

When I go “bareback” I have a bottle on the frame and a seat pack for a tube and co2 jobbie.

bensales
    Free Member
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Rules 30 and 31 would appear to apply:

Damn i only got a topeak, . . what now? 😯

shortcut

Bensales is correct. CO2 is the way!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I must be chuffin certifiable…..not worn a man bag for about 3 years.

Dancake
    Free Member

I keep all my Crap in a BBB “Tools and tubes” thingy that goes in a bottle holder.

At least I used to – my current frame only has one holder mount on it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve taped tubes and brake pads to the saddle rails and seatpost, chain quick link taped inside the hollow of the back of the brake levers, then Co2 and multitool in the pockets.

Just force down a liter of water before setting off and I rarely finish a 750ml bottle in 2 hours, or have to pee.

freeagent
    Free Member

i’m moving away from a ‘pack for all but longer ‘wild country’ rides.
    I’ve got a saddle pack for tube/tools, 750ml bottle in a cage is good for two hours, especially if you gulp a pint of water down before you go out.
    I’ve got a mini-pump in a bottle cage holder, and usually stash my keys/phone/food in various pockets.

mjsmke

Even on the road i wont put my phone or keys in my jersey pockets. Too worried they will bounce out when i hit the inevitable bumpy bits in british roads.

druidh
    Free Member

You can get jerseys with zipped (and even waterproof) pockets.

kerv
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of hour(ish) races the last couple of weeks and gone completely bareback! Dispensed with the usual hydration pack, no water, no tools, no nuffin. It’s been quite liberating. 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

No pack for me just water bottle and saddlebag

labsey
    Free Member

Stuff the rules. Stick it on your frame or forks.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Pump on frame and rest in a bum-bag!

Works a treat for me.

How far do you ride?

damo2576
    Free Member

Bottle in cage, co2, phone and multitool in pocket. Done

andycs

Pump, tube, tyre levers in various pockets. If out with a group someone will have a multitool. If you drink plenty of water through the day (I do about 2.5 litres a day) you should be ok without a bottle. It’s great riding without a pack.

aracer
    Free Member

Even on the road i wont put my phone or keys in my jersey pockets. Too worried they will bounce out when i hit the inevitable bumpy bits in british roads.

I always put mine in my pockets on road, and most of the time off-road (if I carry a hydration pack, it’s usually one with just a bladder and one tiny pocket rather than a huge rucksack). Have never had that problem. I reckon you’re getting worried about a non-existent risk.

shifter
    Free Member

On my local <2 hour rides I take the Camelbak but with no bladder. I know my tube, tool, pump and emergency spares are in there and it weighs very little with no water in it. I don’t like stuff in flimsy jersey pockets and don’t like riding without a pack on…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

got to be scope to make an uppy-downy post that doubles as a trail-pump

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

28K later and i didn’t miss the pack one bit, . i drank noticeably less though, because drinking from a bottle is just more hassle . . .

the pump went in my cavenous shorts pocket, which sits back and side of leg so tht was perfect and not noticeable at all when rinding, the tool and anything heavy went in shorts, because having them in the jersey pockets can pull the front of the jersey up and make it uncomfy . .

back was hardly wet though, which with a pack on, i always get a drenched with sweat back.

Felt faster

I enjoyed it

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s pretty easy on a mountain bike with baggy shorts with multiple pockets, plus a riding jersey with 3 pockets in the back. Pump mounted / gaffa taped to frame. Just stuff everything in various pockets and have a bottle on the frame.

Where it becomes difficult is on a road bike where the rules dictate you’re not allowed baggy shorts which makes things much harder.

corroded
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden with a pack on local rides for years: pump gets clipped to mount on frame, water goes in a bottle, no wallet (10 quid just in case), tube, tool, patches and phone in a pocket. Usually have a spare pocket.

aracer
    Free Member

Where it becomes difficult is on a road bike where the rules dictate you’re not allowed baggy shorts which makes things much harder.

That depends how much junk you feel the need to carry with you. Admittedly I break the rules nowadays, with a seatpack on my roadbike, but it’s this tiny Continental one which has space just for a couple of light road tubes and is almost un-noticeable on the bike. That means all I have in my pockets is a shower jacket, micro-pump or CO2 (can fit the latter in that seatpack), phone, keys and food. Even when I also carried tubes in my pocket it wasn’t a huge problem.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I descended down into Annat,Torridon the other day with an open pocket holding an Iphone. You just need a silicon case. It grips really well.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘going riding without an hydration pack . . .’ is closed to new replies.