Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • going out with the intention of getting pissed?
  • ton

is it ok once in a while? or is it something you avoid?
    or is it just plain foolish?

Drac

I do it now and then but only to the part I feel quite merry, certainly make sure I’m very aware of actions I’m doing and circumstances they could cause.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What on earth is wrong with it?

tomhoward

How pissed are we talking? Just over the drink drive limit or just short of a stomach pump?

tjagain

I never have gone out with the intention of getting hammered but sometimes somewhere along the way I accidently did.

Haven’t for years now tho. Not even had a drink for a month and won’t until new year more than likely. dunno what happened to me. I used to be a regular in the bar across the road but not been in for over a year

Still like a couple of pints with my lunch when touring on the bike tho -we reckon on about 10 miles per pint when touring

mattyfez

Sometimes yes… although I’ve matured enough to know to stop before I get to the double vision room spinning stage!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Can’t say I go out to get intentionally drunk but there are many occasions where I expect that to be the outcome 8)

Personally I would say being drunk is far past the drink drive limit which as it should be, the limit is set with a decent safety margin.

matt_outandabout

I’m off to the Tappit, see you soon.

mattyfez

Personally I would say being drunk is far past the drink drive limit which as it should be, the limit is set with a decent safety margin.

Being too impaired to drive and being drunk are two different things imo..
    I wouldn’t say I was drunk unless I’d had 8 or 9 pints, which I certainly wouldn’t recommend driving on!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Go mental! Just always suffer the comedown(from whatever) and get yourself back into equilibrium with the world.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a good blowout.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I find the best nights are always the ones that just evolve.. big planned events always have more hype and anticipation such that expectations are never met. The more random ones where things just gel are where I have the fondest memories.

I never go out with the sole intention of getting drunk it’s an outcome of other activities and I never actually get completely drunk anyway (I’m well known for having a self imposed 3 pint limit) as I just don’t like the sensation.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@matt we need a pic of you later in said establishment, then we can have a drunk or not quiz

I’m well known for having a self imposed 3 pint limit minimum

🙂

irc

Define pissed? The most I’ve drunk in the last year or so is probably 4 or 5 pints at one session. Which I would say gets me relaxed, not pished (I’m 16 or 17 stone).

Nothing wrong with getting pissed if you are a happy drunk. Some people are best avoiding alcohol though as it brings out aggression.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a good blowout.

Thats a whole new thread

snaps
    Free Member

When we go to watch the Chiefs play rugby, its breakfast & beer in Weatherspoons @ 9am, train to Exeter, 4 pints in the city, 3 pints in ground during the match, back to the city for a few more & then a couple more after we get the train home – so the outcome is obvious but these days I get tired & feel like going home & sleeping by about 10pm

binners

You say it like it’s optional? My best mate rocked up last night, on leave from whatever god-forsaken part of the world Her Majesty has taken him for the last 6months, with the immortal words: “right! Let’s get out and get absolutely skull-****ed!!!”

I’m pleased to report that we succeeded, and as a major bonus for such occasions, nobody spent a night in the cells (it can get a bit lairy). And finished off with the traditional kebab on the way home! Result!! 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

Not pissed or drunk, no. Alcohol doesn’t really do it for me.

Going out once in a while with some quality disco biccy’s on the other hand… 😀

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Why bother going out? That’s why homebrew exists

matt_outandabout

@jamba – of course, but you also have to guess the fellow forumites….

wilburt
    Free Member

Can I have the tomorrow you don’t want?

(I only ask because I lost one recently)

Stainypants

I used to drink for Britain not dependant but massive binges most weekends and did so since I was 16. Strong beer, 3 bottles of wine or full bottles of spirits with the intention of getting hammered probably slowed down when I had kids but even then we still drank a lot at home. I didn’t help the wife and the in-laws are just as bad.

I’d have periods of fitness running marathons etc but i’d get injured of bored and slip into bad habit.

About two years ago I started get fit and managed really well until last christams when i put about 1 1/1 stone on in about 6 weeks after i developed a taste for strong IPA after a few trips to the US.

This year i’ve been almost teetotal and got out of the habit and I’m really happy except my drunken in-laws annoy me and i’m not going to a free Christmas Party tonight because i’ll get irritated by with everyone being pissed or I’ll join them as then regret it massively as it will cost me 2-3 days training and then we’ll be into Christmas.

I will drink but i’m more careful when i do it and must more restrained.

mattyfez

@matt we need a pic of you later in said establishment, then we can have a drunk or not quiz

This is me after about 5 pints.. don’t drink and ride people, especially near bodies of water!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The purpose of going out drinking to me is to have a good time, not specifically to get properly hammered, which may or may not happen depending on how the evening turns out.
    It’s a bit moot these days though as I usually feel like I’ve had enough after a few pints.

ton

reason i asked, i call for a pint on the way home most days, sometimes i have a couple. i love nothing more than a pint, or indeed a gallon in the right company. my cycle tours are planned around the Camra handbook…..so yes i love a pint.

today, on the way home i called in at a pub i like. the cross keys in leeds. nice quiet place, good ale, good food.
    i went in, it was pretty quiet. 4 office type bloke sat talking. a bloke sat reading the paper. nice.
    5 minutes after i got my pint, a group of 5 blokes come in, younger than me, maybe early 40’s, dressed like teenagers. proper loud, annoyingly so. one orders 5 pints of your strongest beer.
    lad behind bar tells them that the strongest is 12% delerium and is £8 for 2 bottles to make a pint.
    bloke says **** the cost, we are out to get hammered. lad looks at me and grins. i just shake my head, sup my pint off and leave.

i am glad i am a steady older bloke now. 😀

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s part and parcel of going out and enjoying yourself. My total lack of self control usually means that getting rather the worse for wear, is a regular occurrence. I usually regret it the next morning, but within a few days that memory has passed and I’m all up for another session!

GrahamS

I never actually get completely drunk anyway (I’m well known for having a self imposed 3 pint limit) as I just don’t like the sensation.

I’m barely tipsy at 3 pints, but each to their own.

Personally I really enjoy getting drunk and talking bollocks with my mates.

slackalice
    Free Member

Nice one OP! 😀

That’s wisdom that is! Applied knowledge 😀

Having just caught up on another current thread, my earlier perception was that it was you intending to go out!

*amends dossier notes*

ferrals
    Free Member

Not since the age of 21. Sadly more often these days I go out with the objective of not getting drunk so I feel fine the next day. Sadly for me I’m pissed by the time I’ve had my third pint at which point my objective changes 😆

PrinceJohn

It’s a weird one, I can take it or leave it – recently tho a couple of experiences that have served to remind me I’m not in my 20s anymore have really put me off more than ever… so at the moment no, but having just been dumped (well mostly dumped, but it’s only a matter or time) I’m sure at some point over Christmas a large proportion of my Christmas bonus will end up in the local pub tills.

funkmasterp

I’m pretty much teetotal now and only drink the occasional Bourbon with a meal. I used to go out and always get drunk. I don’t seem to have an off switch, which is one of the reasons I stopped going out. Never saw the point in having one or two and it always used to end with drunken shenanigans. I was a happy drunk though so it was all good.

soobalias
    Free Member

black eye friday

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

It’s all about knowing your capacity . The trouble is I get drunk before I reach mine 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

ton – Member
    is it ok once in a while? or is it something you avoid?
    or is it just plain foolish?

Yes, it is fine if your health is up to it.

No, if you suffer later on …

Not me coz due to some sort of allergies causing my nose to block I can only drink not more than 3 pints, more than that my night will be a severe torture as I will feel like being suffocated in my sleep.

Imagine being so tired wanting to sleep yet can only breath through the mouth.

tomhoward

Well, was my Xmas do on Friday, I intended to take part in the festivities, but 2 pints and 2 bottles of beer, 2 JD and cokes and a bottle of merlot in the space of 3 hours meant I was rather less taking part, more leading the charge… thoroughly enjoyed myself though, without too much of a hangover the next day. I reckon a drop more would have sent me to just the wrong side of acceptable, and a crippling hangover the next day.

I have been out with the express intention of forgetting my name, aged 20, after a customer at Halfords where I worked had just been a pillock (“I want a new wheel, not for you to true the bent one on my new £80 bike, I know machine built wheels are better than hand built wheels, I’ve been cycling for 30 years”) Ended up having a bottle of aftershock (1/3rd of each colour, red blue and green, made a brown cocktail of death) pulled three girls, went back to ones house, threw up brown sludge all over her cream carpet, got kicked out of two taxis and wandered the streets of Derby for 4 hours, before finally regaining consciousness, phoning a cab and driving round for ages trying to find an ATM with money in it.

4 day hangover and £300 lighter (what happens when you buy a bottle of spirit by the shot, in a city centre bar) and no money left for rent that month. Not an enjoyable experience.

Knowing your limits is the key I find

matt_outandabout

As promised….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Brilliant 😀

I had half a bottle of wine with dinner and feel a bit short changed as thats all we had left !

I’m sure at some point over Christmas a large proportion of my Christmas bonus will end up in the local pub tills.

That does not sound like a good plan. Take only cash spend that walk home.

Xylene
    Free Member

I’m 9 weeks with out a drink just now, which has been hard work at times.

I really got into drinking strong beers the past 6 months, and my body mass shows it. I drank to get pissed, 10 bottles of 7% plus beers. I could see habits forming, laziness setting in.

Sometimes the craving to drink is as strong as stopping smoking. I was in the city earlier in the week, where I would normally sit at a bar on the corner of a busy tourist area, and watch the madness of Bangkok walk by, while getting pissed. Walking past that bar, and feeling the pull of the whisky and soda was a lot stronger than I anticipated.

Now it is like self-flagellation not drinking, I’ve gone this far, how much further can I go, but that nice bottle of 20 year old Atherton Rum at the shop keeps calling my name.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I avoid.
    When going out, it’s mostly to go to a gig. Unless I decide to stay overnight, it requires driving home, so booze is most definitely to be avoided.

Besides, nowadays I drink so slowly I’m usually ready for sleep long before I’m drunk

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘going out with the intention of getting pissed?’ is closed to new replies.