Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going on holiday abroad with injuries – insurance conundrum
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

At the end of June I broke some bones meaning we had to cancel a DH holiday. My consultant has now said I can fly and go on holiday so we have been looking at going on a walking / hiking holiday abroad in the mountains somewhere during the same week that we were meant to go on the DH holiday. I wanted to be sure that I would be covered under my insurance so I rang the company and they confirmed that as my bones haven’t fully healed and because I’m still having Physio then I wouldn’t be covered for any new injuries directly or indirectly related to my current injuries. We would still be covered for unrelated illness like food poisoning, theft and everything else under the policy. I won’t be putting myself at risk and certainly wouldn’t be mountain biking but I am concerned about the “indirect” clause and what scenarios this may relate to. For example would I be able to make a claim if I fell and broke my ankle whilst walking as this isn’t directly related to my current injury? I did ask the insurance company this but they obviously couldn’t give a direct answer other than to confirm that hiking/walking is classed as an “activity” and I wouldn’t be covered or any activity which goes medical advice.

Anyone else been in this situation?

Twodogs

Didn’t they offer to cover your existing conditions for an additional (probably exorbitant) premium?

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

@ Twodogs, No they didn’t. It’s an annual policy which i renewed about 2 months ago. I’m now wondering about taking out a new single trip policy with another company in which I can properly declare the existing injury and pay the extra.

TiRed

Go somewhere in Europe and use the reciprocal health agreement should you need it for your existing injuries?

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

@ Tired, what’s that?

crikey
    Free Member

Why not go on holiday and be careful?

wallop

reciprocal health agreement should you need it for your existing injuries?

Would that helicopter you off a mountain?

BoardinBob

Tired, what’s that?

In Europe it’s the EHIC

Basically get treated in a public hospital and you’ll get some/all of the costs reimbursed.

Private hospital = paying yourself if insurance doesn’t

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

BoardinBob

Would that helicopter you off a mountain?

If youre using the ski lifts then insurance should be included with the lift pass for mountain recovery. As a high level guide

Lift pass covers mountain rescue (from marked pistes/trails)

EHIC covers treatment in public hospitals

Insurance covers treatment in private hospitals plus repatriation to home country if necessary (plus other non medical benefits)

Twodogs

I’m now wondering about taking out a new single trip policy with another company in which I can properly declare the existing injury and pay the extra.

I’d do this, it’ll put your mind at rest and probably won’t be too much if just for Europe

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going on holiday abroad with injuries – insurance conundrum’ is closed to new replies.