Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Going off road on a BMX
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

4psi per stone isn’t it mtbel?

mtbel
    Free Member

Glad to see your arithmetic is improving, now brush your teeth and off to bed… it might only be a half day but you still have school in the morning.

I’ll be up to read you a story soon. 😈

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not the one about bb heights, TT lengths and head angles again.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I read that as arthritis first time…

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Just back from the ride, will post the video later. So much fun. Until I hit a motocross bikes rut and flipped it, breaking the bake handle.

Yeah!

everyone
    Free Member

Hmm your picture isn’t working there and I can’t grab the pic from instagram either. It might be easier to just link your instagram profile for us to have a nosey through!

chrisgibson
    Free Member

OK sorry about the picture not working. The video from today is live here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtG-BS3f9l8&feature=youtu.be enjoy…

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Just a quick update.

Other than being covered in cuts/scrapes I am fine. The bike has been converted to a single brake for the time being.

Will be taking it out for another thrash this afternoon but not doing jumps.

So much fun!

mamadirt
    Free Member

miketually – Member

Riding any inappropriate bike off-road is ace fun.

Yep! 8) Definitely livens up the same boring old trails.

Love the vid wanders off to eBay to look for a(nother) BMX 😳

dudeofdoom

dunno if the vid sold me on the off-road bmxing 🙂

I’m sorta hanging out for one at the mo but can’t make mind to go for a 24 wiv the modern geo or boggo 20

Stevet1
    Free Member

You know they do 22″ wheel BMX’s now… (I’m not even joking – they look great BTW)

dudeofdoom

Yep I’ve had my eye on a faction amaro 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

We need to keep this thread alive. We can’t be the only ones keeping the trails fresh by riding the wrong size wheels 😉

I’ve always had a BMX tucked in the corner of the kitchen for trips to the shops, commutes, etc. You can keep your skateparks – nowhere near forgiving enough for old bones (still have an odd shaped knee from the skatepool incident several years ago 😳 ) – but there’s something about ragging a tiny bike around the woods that makes me feel 40 again 😆 (yeah, I’m that old).

I’ve tried a few new-school bikes with steeper angles, tiny sprockets, street tyres and longer toptubes but you can’t beat a knobbly-tyred, slack angled bike with dodgy brakes for a trip to the woods.

I’m (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of a rusty old Dyno frame and forks from USA – big bars, knobblies and a coaster brake FTW! Bring on the dry trails 😛

mtbel
    Free Member

Still ride mine a few times a week. I’ve always prefered race/DJ geometry over street/park geometry so now that I don’t have any dirtjumps locally and rarely make it to the skatepark I’m riding a Haro Alu race bike.
    Actually thinking about doing some racing this year as the Scottish BMX race scene is picking up again.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Be sure to do a PSA for all your fans to come and watch. What are the prizes like for your age group, a SAGA holiday or is it more likely to be a Parker pen and a signed picture of Michael Parkinson?

mtbel
    Free Member

Oooh.. I do hope so.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ha ha, go for it mtbel 8) I’d do the same but would probably struggle to find a grand vets womens category 😕

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I assumed that was the cat mtbel was entering.

mamadirt
    Free Member

😆 😆

mtbel
    Free Member

Vet 45+ 😉

dudeofdoom

Mates just got one so no doubt I’ll er dig one up….I like pump tracks…strangely lots of fun on my fatty which is probably the whole fun wrong bike thing…or maybe a fun bikes a fun bike .

only trouble is I’m planning on getting a stooge an even thinking of a road bike 🙁 so it’s thinking of new an innovative ways of getting them pass Mrs DoD who’s bike love is non existent.

dudeofdoom

Funny thing is my dad was friends with Jason Davies dad but I never had a bmx as a kid : 👿

Had a chopper thou….which probably explains why I never really rode again till my late 30s…

mtbel
    Free Member

I like pump tracks…strangely lots of fun on my fatty

No No No… Take your stupid GRINZ and GTFO! 😈

mamadirt
    Free Member

Lovely bike mtbel 8)

This thread needs more pics!

dudeofdoom

Well acquired a new superstar frame(70 squid) Carlton grande an some wheels(50 squid new I don’t think I could buy the bits and bobs to build them for this and they’re not too shabby quality wise)
    an had pleasant hour last night fitting bearings cranks and chain just waiting for a sh fork to come.

I was looking to get a 150squid sh jobby tbh but nothing really grabbed me …I’ll get some pics when I’ve got it on wheels then I’m orf down the woods 🙂

Mrs DoD moaned about empty boxes last night but didn’t notice it on the workshop stand 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Looking forward to the pics!

The rust bucket is done but I’m definitely having second thoughts about that coaster brake. Think it’ll get converted to freewheel before I venture to the woods. Nice to have something I don’t mind leaving outside the shops though . . .

kayla1
    Free Member

I tend to use my BMXs or SS jump bike for shop runs rather than my MTB cos there’s no QR stuff on them 😆

We saw an ace Haro Shredder (with the 2″ downtube, chrome, replete with proper 90s rust on it!) at Donington yesterday.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Noticed this was still going after I had finished with it. During Easter I took the BMX out nearly every day and rode it around the local woods. Very sketchy but hilarious.

Still ride it a lot, get odd looks from people as I wander around and the fiance doesn’t ‘get it’ at all.

Which is ace.

Do want a lighter one though, mine is a tank and doesn’t really stop.

Also I think I cracked my kneecap on the handlebars.

Could do with a bit more of chunky tyres as mine are properly bald, next step is a Downs ride on it.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Right been going more and more on the BMX for a quick hour or so morning spin.

Decided to film some stuff on my phone and stitch a very short thing together – much quicker and easier to do than using the GoPro imo.

Not going to teach anyone anything new or showcase and ‘mad skillz’ but I am def seeing an improvement by riding more inappropriate wheels off road.

Enjoy? I think.

Northwind

When I was younger I did “mountain biking” on my tange hotheart, I never did “proper” bmxing. But it had knobbly tyres and a brake so why not?

miketually
    Free Member

I think you always gain something from riding an inappropriate bike off-road; fixed wheel and skinny tyres is hilarious.

chrisgibson
    Free Member

The best part was riding to the woods and hearing some little kid (4 or 5) yelling ‘mummy look at that tiny bike’.

Brilliant, I just really like being on a bike that is really not suited to the ride, don’t have the courage to take a road bike and skinny tyres off road yet though…

sharkattack

I’ve got a 2004 SM Stricker in the garage. Lots of trick bits on it including Ti axles and bolts etc. It’s just too small for me now especially with my wrecked back.

I’ll have a 2015 Tallboy in gold please. Massive head and top tube for the larger gentleman.

I’ll leave the mind bending techno street moves to the pros though.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=173&v=YSyeuObtQ9s[/video]

kerley
    Free Member

Road bike/skinny tyres off road is not that different. It is still a bike with two wheels after all.

In a lot of cases they are faster (smooth simple single track, fire roads etc,.) than an MTB. In mud or very loose gravel they are challenging and slower.

Whereas a BMX is just slow and hard work but better fun in certain areas. All the fuss about wheel size differences are made real when riding 20″ wheels…

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Going off road on a BMX’ is closed to new replies.