Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Going hardtail.
  • hertz32
    Free Member

Hi!
    I am planning on selling my Mongoose khyber super frame, forks, headset, brakes, etc and rebuild it with a ragley blue pig X frame, dropper post and possibly a 1X9 drivechain. i like my mongoose but with nearly 7″ of travel i can’t justify the extra weight. So, Its a Mongoose Khyber Super ’08, stock except the brakes are hayes stroker trails. what would you guys sell and keep, how much would it sell for and what would you put on the ragley? I ride in the chiltern hills and glentress mainly but a bit of 4x and light DH is always fun. I was probaby going to go for Pikes up front, Spd’s and Ks900I or X-fusion HiLo post.

hertz32
    Free Member

🙂

markreed
    Free Member

Built last week. Reverb goes on when my big bike goes into winter hibernation

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63531047@N04/7996556300/in/photostream

poltheball
    Free Member

Big shout for 1×9 hardtails – super fun!

I’ve just built a Blue Pig X up 1×9 with 140mm Fox’s up front, short stem and wide bar – feels brilliant. First big ride out on Sat to Glentress, I’ll let you know how it goes!

I ride SPD or flats depending on what mood I’m in, but I prefer the flats for mucking about and doing harder trails, and the spuds for doing longer distance stuff.

Reverb is a temptation for me, but I can’t justify it at this moment in time – for me its just another thing that could go wrong. I like simplicity and durability on my builds, so that’s just my preference 🙂

Whatever you do, it’s a brilliant frame so you’ll have plenty fun with it.

Baldysquirt

Just finished sending the Blue Pig X frame back to CRC. It was in a state from what appeared to be a previous owner?! and the quality control issues to do with the deformed seat tube were still clearly present. Even if they had another in my size I wouldn’t trust it; shame as the geometry seems spot on for what I want. Enjoy.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

For the Chilterns, get stuff you can depend on in mud. My own preferences are low-maintenance stuff like Marzocchis and full length cables.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Finished my Blue Pig x last weekend. Put 36 Talas on it and 1×9. Had so much fun since then, it absolutely rips. Took it to Peaslake and spent 6 hours riding everything I knew but FASTER, Bike just screams – rag me!I love it dearly.
    Interesting to note that I ran it at 130mm most of the day, 160mm seemed unessesary. Other great thing is that I could drop the saddle all the way to the top tube at the summit of each hill enabling more childlike behavior on the way down.
    P.S. How great is Supernova? I’m loving that trail at the moment.

hertz32
    Free Member

CRC only have 14″ left FFS! in about 5’6″+ as i have a bit of growing left, reckon it’ll fit?

markreed
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″. Mine’s a 20″ frame if that helps give you some idea. Think there’s a size guide on the Ragley website.

hertz32
    Free Member

I’d need a 16″ in that case, there a guy on PB with one but he wants 275.

hertz32
    Free Member

anyone know whwere i can get one for a reasonable price?

br
    Free Member

You’ll struggle with 1×9 in the Chilterns, unless either fit or you avoid the steeper stuff.

hertz32
    Free Member

I ran 6 miles in 37mins over the hills around amersham, Is that fit enough?

weeksy

running doesn’t require gears 🙂

kayak23

1×9 Dialled Prince Albert.
    The Bees ballcocks!
    😀

hertz32
    Free Member

^^ but it does require fitness.

messiah
    Free Member

First proper ride on my new to me 16″ Ragley Mmmbop yesterday (yes it’s not steel it’s alloy, but with 2.2″ tyres at 25-30psi it feels great… and it’s chuffin light… and cheap).

The 36’s are shortened to 130mm travel to keep the front end and bottom bracket low… it’s a bike that wants to be taken out into the woods and treated very roughly… loved it.

kayak23

^^ but it does require fitness

….and creates it if not there already. Whats not to like? 🙂

hertz32
    Free Member

what kind of ratios would you guys run?

weeksy

I generally run a 32T front which i mostly run as a single ring. For this weekend for the SDW i’ve fitted a 22T granny though just in case i get tired. Very rarely have i ever used the 22T even when fitted.

soobalias
    Free Member

go 34t or 36t up front round here, you will get up anything (but struggle) and you will appreciate a big gear for the linking sections.

riding SS in the chilterns is little to do with fitness and lots to do with technique/stubborness

rob2
    Free Member

1×9 is fine for the chilterns (I use 32t x 11×32). I’m unfit and it works for me. If it gets really steep just walk but they’re isn’t much of that.

hertz32
    Free Member

Subbornness i have by the tonne and the teqnique i seem to have exept the habit of dropping my outside foot. dont forget i have to do glentress and inners enduro so any change to ratios?

hertz32
    Free Member

🙂

hertz32
    Free Member

🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Going hardtail.’ is closed to new replies.