Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Going Gluten free in January
  • juan
    Free Member

I want to try the gluten free diet in January
    what options do the SKDB (Singletrackworld knowledge database) recommend for the obvious such as bread, pasta and biscuits?

Many thanks.

Twodogs

unless you’ve been tested and diagnosed as gluten allergic, why bother?

Yak

Bread – supermarket stuff is ok, but baking it yourself using doves farm gf flour gives good results.
    Supermarket own brand gf pastas are fine.
    Biscuits – lots to choose from or bake your own. Just use a normal recipe, but sub in gf flour and some zanthum gum. As a nice alternative, sorghum flour and powdered almonds makes nice rich n’tasty cakes and biscuits.

Edit – get a bread maker.

docrobster
    Free Member

unless you’ve been tested and diagnosed as gluten allergic, why bother?

This. There aren’t any health advantages to avoiding something that you aren’t intolerant of.

docgeoffyjones

This. There aren’t any health advantages to avoiding something that you aren’t intolerant of.

I am not intolerant of sugar but cutting it out has had huge health benefits. For most people going gluten free actually means a significant reduction in highly processed foods which are bad for us.

The wild diet is a good book for both motivation and recipe ideas.

freeagent
    Free Member

My 9 year old daughter has been gluten free since birth.
    Had all the tests, not a coeliac just intolerant.

She likes the Genius brand bread the best.

All gluten free pasta is much the same but you need to drop it into really hot water (rolling boil) when cooking or it tries to dissolve.

Do your research as a fair few ‘normal products’ are gluten free so you don’t always end up paying extra.
    Oatibix are a good example.
    Eating out is a lot easier than it used to be.

mikey74
    Free Member

I am not intolerant of sugar but cutting it out has had huge health benefits. For most people going gluten free actually means a significant reduction in highly processed foods which are bad for us.

So, what you are saying is that it isn’t going gluten that’s good for you, it’s eating higher quality food. I think that applies to pretty much every type of food, not just gluten-containing stuff.

allan23
    Free Member

I want to try the gluten free diet in January
    what options do the SKDB (Singletrackworld knowledge database) recommend for the obvious such as bread, pasta and biscuits?

Many thanks.

Please send me all the money you would have spent on all that gluten loaded food that you know is sooooooooo bad for you you have to ask what it is on an internet forum.

Many thanks. 🙂

docgeoffyjones

So, what you are saying is that it isn’t going gluten that’s good for you, it’s eating higher quality food. I think that applies to pretty much every type of food, not just gluten-containing stuff.

No Gluten is definitely bad for you. It is common in highly processed foods which are also bad not just because of the gluten content. I was just offering a reason for going gluten free even if you are not diagnosed intolerant.

deadkenny
    Free Member

docgeoffyjones – Member 
    For most people going gluten free actually means a significant reduction in highly processed foods which are bad for us. smugness and a lighter wallet

FTFY 😛

More seriously though, just eat wholemeal if you’re concerned about the highly processed stuff. Bake it yourself even.

docgeoffyjones – Member 
    No Gluten is definitely bad for you

Got a reference to that?

If you’ve got celiac disease, yes. Everyone else, no.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4jMWWEjH9E[/video]

SammyC
    Free Member

Spelt sourdough bread is gluten free I think. Quite nice if a little difficult to find.

shinton
    Free Member

SammyC – Member
    Spelt sourdough bread is gluten free I think. Quite nice if a little difficult to find

Not true I’m afraid. You can get a very good GF sourdough from a bakers stall in Borough Market, but they only do GF on Friday’s. Cost you £6 mind.

sweaman2
    Free Member

This is a minor aside but I’m organizing a trip to a back country lodge in BC for a weeks skiing. When putting together the group my initial considerations were all around how much avalanche training people had etc.. I’m now beginning to wish I’d started with “do they have any dietary restrictions” as it’s a monumental pain.

For the op. I tend to find you’re better off not attempting to do direct substitutions but working around the diet. A friend made me a GF free pizza and I was unconvinced it would be better for me as instead of wheat it just had a ton of different chemicals or so it seemed.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The only reason that the stupid fad gluten free diet thing can be seen as positive, is that it increases demand for gluten free foods and thereby gives those with Coeliac disease more choice (and everyone else a good laugh)

fin25
    Free Member

Did someone just compare gluten with refined sugars?

If you want to get healthier, just cut out processed food. Many gluten free products are far worse for your health than their counterparts containing gluten.

Everything in moderation.

skaifan
    Free Member

Just eat stale bread. Tastes just like gluten free but you save £2.50 per loaf.

bigblackshed

BigJohn

Monday to Friday I avoid all cereal. Breads,pasta,rice,er cereal. It makes it a lot harder to make a quick lunch and in the evenings I just have more veg rather than starch.
    I don’t think I’m gluten intolerant in any way but I do feel slightly better.

I do have beer though. A lot of beer.

Northwind

Seriously, gluten’s a rubbish thing to give up, without reason. How about going vege or vegan, if you’re not already?

skaifan – Member

Just eat stale bread. Tastes just like gluten free but you save £2.50 per loaf.

My gf bread tastes pretty damn good. It just looks and feels like madeira cake. (otoh, it makes godly fried bread, soaks up fat like you wouldn’t believe)

project
    Free Member

project
    Free Member

ulysse
    Free Member

So you wanna avoid walkers crisps, booze, gravy marmite, chip shop chips, corn flakes and countless other food products that contain gluten or have been cross contaminated during production, on a whim?

flowergirl
    Free Member

As someone who has to eat a wheat free and therefore gluten free diet due to an allergy, I have to ask the question ‘Why the hell do you want to go gluten free unless you HAVE to?’
    It’s not just giving up bread and pasta as a lot of people think, it’s hidden in everything!
    For example, the only decent bread is M&S, any other and you may as well eat the packaging. It works out at roughly 50p a small slice. Fancy a takeaway? Chinese? No chance, everything has soy sauce! Fancy a burger? No bun (obviously), but check the burger for wheat rusk. Same goes for sausages. Crisps? Check the flavouring. Indian takeaway? No naan bread, but I’ll have a bhaji. Oh no, it’s cross contaminated as it’s fried in the same fat as the samosas, same goes for chips from the chippy, fried in the same fat as the batter. Sunday roast? No stuffing, no Yorkshire pudding, Is the gravy thickened with a gluten free flour? Chocolate bar? May contain traces of gluten. Sushi? Not if it’s got soy sauce in it.
    I could carry on with things I can’t have. Not things I would eat very often anyway, but just occasionally it would be nice to have as a treat.
    I wish you well if you decide to go ahead, but please bear in mind that if you cut something out of your diet you can have problems when you reintroduce it . It sure as hell wouldn’t be my diet by choice.

ulysse
    Free Member

Northwind, try Marks and Spencer gluten free breads and take away sandwich range, I defy anyone to tell the difference from regular bread.
    Also, as much as I despise Tesco and boycotted the place for years, the own brand wholemeal is very acceptable, followed closely by own brand seeded. Cheap as chips too, and a welcome change from Genius

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gluten and sport is a regular research topic for our local uni diet and health department, lots of studies and vo2 max testing. Still no proven benefits.
    Cut the crap food, it’s not very hard, buy a recipe book and cook stuff. (something like the feedzonecookbook.com series)

ulysse
    Free Member

It sure as hell wouldn’t be my diet by choice.

Nor mine flower girl, but it’s like heroin to a smack head with me, I succumbed the other day when buying my mum a sandwich for dinner, Chinese chicken on a granary roll.
    The blinding headache hit me within 15 minutes, I’m still assuming the bad guts are in the post!

flowergirl
    Free Member

Horrible isn’t it? I risked half a poppadum from the Indian the other week. Up all night with a blinding migraine

ulysse
    Free Member

But poppadoms are rice flour…

Until cross contaminated

flowergirl
    Free Member

Exactly! You can never trust a deep fat fryer! Had the same problem with chippy chips about twelve months ago when I was first diagnosed with a wheat allergy 🙁 I get instant reactions, so fairly easy to trace the cause.

skids
    Free Member

You pretty much will never be able to eat outside your own house ever again, cross contamination is rife even in places with gluten free options.

fin25
    Free Member

But I’m guessing the OP doesn’t really want to cut gluten out of their diet, they just thought it might be easy to blame gluten for all their dietary problems. 😉

Gluten, the Economic Migrant of the diet industry.

ulysse
    Free Member

There’s a vegetarian /vegan cafe in Bolton skids, that’s shit hot on intolerance, and more and more places are becoming aware, Marks & Sparks is a case in point, the restaurant WILL provide free from alternative, prepared accordingly

imnotverygood

juan
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the reply.
    I am not gluteen intolerant far from it.
    I just want to try going gluten free to se if I can get some health benefit.
    As far cutting the crap and processed food out, I am lucky enough to :
    Live in France where junk food isn’t as popular as in the UK
    Mainly cook my own food from scratch (unless it’s pizza I know some few places that do that for me 😉 )

I just want to try it. I mean I bet lot of people here have tried the back door thing without being alergic to standard copulation 😉

Anyway thanks for the many sensible answers.

monkeychild
    Free Member

South Park can help you
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4jMWWEjH9E[/video]

I_did_dab
    Free Member

OK I’ve shared this before but what the heck
    “Coeliac disease affects at least 1 in 100 people in the UK and in Europe; however, only about 24% of people with the condition are clinically diagnosed”
    from Coeliac UK. linky
    So if you feel better going gluten free you can a) reintroduce gluten and get tested or b) carry on gluten free and don’t worry about it.
    Route a) has the advantage that your GP will give you regular checks and you can get GF food on prescription (although many areas are stopping this).
    Route b) has the advantage that you don’t need to feel unwell again and you may be gluten/wheat intolerant rather than coeliac and get a negative test anyway.
    If you are coeliac and go on a gluten free diet it will take up to a month for you to feel properly well, and than you need to stick to the diet for life.

MrGreedy

flowergirl – Member

As someone who has to eat a wheat free and therefore gluten free diet due to an allergy, I have to ask the question ‘Why the hell do you want to go gluten free unless you HAVE to?’

My wife can’t eat gluten and would say exactly the same.

If you’re doing it for general health benefits then you need to be aware that just replacing a normal product with a gluten free one probably means you’re getting *more* bad stuff like saturated fat and sugars. The main function of gluten in a loaf of bread or whatever is as a binding agent, so in the gluten-free version something else has to do this job, and it’s usually worse for you.

It’s totally possible to have a varied, interesting and healthy diet without gluten*, but the best way to do is a bit more complicated than just swapping one product for another.

*Well, mostly – I’m not sure I could survive without the occasional gluteny pie when my wife’s not home for dinner

Yak

As above. I’m fine, but Mrs Yak can’t eat gluten, so generally all the food is prepared from scratch as gluten free. Easier that way. Xanthan gum is the stuff I use to get a bind in a cake/loaf/biscuit. Is it dodgy stuff then?

ulysse
    Free Member

No yak, but the extra sugars fats and chemicals used in commercial products for binding and taste may well be

Yak

Good news. Cakes ahoy then!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Going Gluten free in January’ is closed to new replies.