Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Going from TRP Hy/Rd to shimano hydraulic – will I notice anything?
  • stevious

I’ve been offered a good deal on some shimano brakes from a local shop. Hadn’t really considered changing the brakes as they’ve been excellent, but haven’t used full hyrdo on the road much. They’d be for my bad weather/touring/etc bike.

Maintenance/faff wise I doubt there’s be much in it but will there be a noticeable performance difference in everyday use?

prawny

They’ll be a bit smoother at the lever probably, maybe a bit more powerful.

I was wrestling with getting either hyrdo or HyRds before christmas, budget meant it had to be HyRds but I’m not disappointed, they’re fantastic. Plus as this is on my commuter I can smash up my levers and replace them with cheap ones easily.

rOcKeTdOg

you wont have to adjust the cable to account for pad wear & bleeding needs longer arms

JoB
    Free Member

yes you will

HyRds are great but they can be fiddly to set up and get working well and as they’re cable actuated that cable eventually get contaminated and lowers the performance of the brake and needs looking after

you’ll find the performance on the Shimanos smoother and more powerful and performance on full hydro brakes is consistently more predictable and pretty much maintenance fee

stevious

Thanks team!

prawny

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    you wont have to adjust the cable to account for pad wear

You don’t have to do this on HyRds, it’s literally the only reason I bought them. I spent far too much time adjusting my old single piston calipers, I’ve taken up oil painting with the time I’ve saved.

rOcKeTdOg

You don’t have to with full hydraulics either, which was my point

prawny

He won’t notice it then, which was mine :mrgreen:

stevious

Please don’t fight guys.

I love you both the same.

prawny

Lol, no way I’d start anything, Rocket would batter me, he has a P.

convert

You’ll be lighter to the tune of 160g or so for the pair. I have a set of HyRds and quite like them from a performance perspective but they are ugly as imo. So bulky looking – was quite surprised the weight difference was not more than it was. Shimano hydraulics, especially with the new flat mount if your bike/fork can take it is a lot slicker. Was going to change but realised my reasoning for doing so was stupid so will wait until I have a new frame and forks in a year or threes time that mounts to the new standard and do it then.

p.s. I would miss the lock out button if/when I change – handier than a shim when transporting the bike to prevent air in the system.

srshaw
    Free Member

Maybe I have duff pads in my hy/rd brakes on on my caad 12 but I’m not overly impressed compared to my mtb with xt brakes, the difference is night and day (admittedly using slight larger discs, 180/160 vs 160/140).

At some point I’ll upgrade, unfortunately I’m still running 10sp so will need new wheels.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

standard trp pads (that came in my spyres) seem to be made from potato, disco brakes sintered pads improved them massively

fudge9202
    Free Member

Pm’d You stevious

RustyNissanPrairie

Or you could go with Juin Tech R1’s and save weight over the HyRd and when fitted with Middleburn cable oilers (THE best invention ever for bikes) then always have slick smooth cables that never require bleeding.
    Also as Prawny said ‘normal’ Sti levers are a lot cheaper than hydro Sti’s when you bin it – unlike MTB’s road bikes always land on their levers.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

my juin techs went back under warranty after a few weeks of summer riding one piston was sticking, got some flannel about had I maintained them, got my money back

downhillfast
    Free Member

Not really.
    Lever will feel a bit different.
    your wallet may be lighter.

perditus
    Free Member

I went from hyrds to full hydro and wisd i’d not wasted money on the hyrds in the first place.

wind-bag
    Free Member

Depends on your sensitivity to change, mine are on for just over three years, changed the pads and cables and they feel fine. My Slate’s SRAM Force hydraulics have had replacement pads, and are are over a year old, they also feel fine…too easy to over think.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Going from TRP Hy/Rd to shimano hydraulic – will I notice anything?’ is closed to new replies.