Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Going from triple to double and bash – cheap shimano crank info
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m going to be moving my bike from a triple to a double and bash. At the minute I’ve got a shimano fc m552 crankset on there that came on my camber expert.

This is a 10spd Chainset so my question is will I just need to remove the granny ring and get two new chain rings?

Is it worth upgrading the crank arms too. Rear cassette is 11-34 so should be ok.

Cheers for any advice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why would you remove the smaller gear?

What do you currently ride and what range of gears?

Look at the sizes of chain rings available for each of the rings 22-28ish 32-38 40-50??

Most common would be to use the granny and middle which also allows for a bash setup if required. Crank upgrades mostly pointless unless you want to upgrade for other reasons.

11-34 will probably be ok if you pick the right chain rings for your riding and the areas you go to.

With all the tables and personal experience upping the middle and ditching the big ring gives the best range as the top end big ring is only really ever used for hammering down roads and the gap from a a bigger middle to a big ring is not that big.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ooops I didn’t mean granny.

Thanks that’s really helpful. Ill look further into it and work out range etc

Yeah I think I’d be looking at a 38 middle. Are standard deore rings ok?

Don’t want to spend loads and it not work out.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

If I’m happy with my range now and simply never use the out ring can I just remove it and fit a bash?

I wouldn’t need to do anything to the shifters or mech except not shift into the outer that doesn’t exist would I?

althepal

I just removed the big ring, fitted a bash ring and a stinger, then shortened the chain slightly and fitted a blackspire stinger to keep it taut. You can adjust the limit screws on the front mech to avoid it going too far onto what was the big ring..

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers mate, ill give it a try.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Going from triple to double and bash – cheap shimano crank info’ is closed to new replies.