• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Hip.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Going from SS to 1×9……..how to hang rear mech?
  • giantjason
    Free Member

i have a Kona Unit and at present am running it singlespeed. I am now finding that it is too spinny on the flats and want to have a 1×9 setup to cover more distance.

My Kona has horizontal dropouts………….what do i need to be able to attach the rear mech?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Alfine hub?

giantjason
    Free Member

i already have the rear mech and cassette so am just looking at how to fit it all together.

sharki
    Free Member

Alfine or move to somewhere with hills. 😉

stonemonkey
    Free Member

or If theres no r mech hanger you need to weld one on or get some “slidable” adjustable dropouts

edit it has a mech hanger. what are you struggling with

giantjason
    Free Member

There is no mech hanger on the current frame.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where i can purchase some slidable adjustable dropouts to attach rear mech?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Is there not a versio of the SLX rear mech that hangs from the wheel bolt?

giantjason
    Free Member

i already have a sram mech that i need to fit so want to try and use that.

peachos
    Free Member

DMR makes a chain tug with mech hanger. see here

mangoridebike

A Hone hub/rear mech might work as the rear mech hangs off the axle rather than a mech hanger. I’m not sure if the angle of the horzontal dropout will work with it though.

sheck

Kona make geared sliding dropouts with a hanger for their Explosif, Cowan and Unit bikes, all of which are interchangeable. They are, however expensive (circa £30). Your local Kona dealer should be able to get one

Hip
    Free Member

If your unit has sliding dropouts then Pilo from Israel sells them on ebay. Item 130114617356

Not cheap at around £35

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Can sell you a hone rear hub and mech im not using, you could build it into a wheel?

funkynick

As peachos says above, just get a DMR chaintug with mech hanger built in. I have one on my Pompino at the moment and it works just fine.

giantjason
    Free Member

Hip – does this look to be the same thing?

Farticus

I’ve got an Explosif with geared sliders – the ones with the built-in tensioning bolt. If yours is the same (i.e. no hanger but with built in bolt) I’d be happy to swap. Email in profile if you need it.

giantjason
    Free Member

farticus – thanks for the offer but i want to keep the normal sliders for when i go back to SS in the winter.

Farticus

OK, but you can use them for SS too – that’s what I do, but I’ve not run gears on it & probably never will.

roblerner
    Free Member
    epicyclo

Don’t do it…

Hip
    Free Member

giantjason

Hip – does this look to be the same thing?

Yes. Exact same thing. CRC used to do the original Kona ones for £20 but that was last year and I’ve not seen any more in stock since.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Going from SS to 1×9……..how to hang rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.