Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Going from spd's to flats footwear help please?
  • paulos
    Free Member

Hi all

Ive been using spds for about 3 years now, out riding on friday and i had an off and my left foot didnt disengage from my pedal causing knee damage. im now looking to go back to flats, for the flat pedalling cyclists here what footwear do you reccomend?

Ive been looking at teva and five tens. are these any good?

andytpickering
    Free Member

ive been riding with five ten freeriders for 18months now, and i love them. so comfortable, and loads of grip, on and off the bike.
    two of the lads i ride with have the teva links and they say they’re fantastic too. so i don’t think you can go wrong with either!

carlosg
    Free Member

A cheap pair of waffle soled Vans from TK Max (or similar) have always worked fine for me . I hear great things about 5:10’s but they look crap IMO.

avdave2

I went from 20 years on SPD’s to AM41’s and have been very pleased with them. It’s only xc stuff but I’ve had no problems with grip and they are doing a good job of coping with my off road commute through the winter. The sole is quite stiff which I like but I guess what you want depends on the type of riding you do.

andytpickering
    Free Member

i wasn’t overly impressed with the look of the five tens when i ordered them from CRC, but they look far better in real life than they do in the pictures.
    for the record, the only ones in my size at the time were the white tiger ones, which are still in great condition after two winters of riding!

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

5-10’s here, with a good set of flats I’ve yet to lose a footing even over the breaking bumps in Morzine.

spanishbarry
    Free Member

Five tens all the way , just on my second pair the first lasted 8 years but I dont do wet muddy rain soaked rides , just got the white tiger ones on offer from CRC

daleftw
    Free Member

Nike 6.0s

DaddyFool
    Free Member

Vans for the last 3 years. Consistent grip and cheap. Outlast my pedals as it happens.

rickon
    Free Member

Five ten free riders here too, the Danny Mcaskill ones… Reinforced toe, heel cup and a lovely insole. Plus theyre understated, but still look sweet.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Coming from SPD’s I would recommend 5:10 freerides they grip really well, almost as well as spuds. AM41s are good as are normal skate shoes but they are much loser on the pedals. The 5:10 sole is much sticker on the pedal than the above.

tymbian
    Free Member

IMO 5 10s are that good I have no need to look further. I’ve been using the hi’s for about 3 yrs doing everything from xc, downhill to bmx racing on them. Excellent padding and ankle support, you might find them a bit bulky at first.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Going from spd's to flats footwear help please?’ is closed to new replies.