Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Going from a van to a car
  • PrinceJohn

So for the last 4 years I’ve owned a little combo van which has been fantastic as bike transport. On Friday night it broke down and it looks like the chain has gone.
    I’ve currently got a hire car(hoorah for the AA), it’s a seat Leon and it’s so nice to drive compared to the van I’m seriously contemplating ditching the van..

Has anyone down similar and regretted it or glad they did?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s shit… you have to learn to pack and all that crap.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sod that

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I guess a compromise would be getting a van shaped car where the seats can be dropped\removed. Skoda Yeti?

benman
    Free Member

Moved from a van to a car due to having a baby. Car drives much nicer, and more comfortable for long mileage.

In winter though it sucked having to disassemble a wet muddy bike to get it home.

PrinceJohn

So… get a car then yeah…

Not sure I could drive a Skoda yeti… or similar.

Will look at more vans!

chaos

I’ve gone from a life of vans, then had a car for a couple of years, now back to a van and am missing the car more than I thought I would!

bigblackshed

In winter though it sucked having to disassemble a wet muddy bike to get it home.

Or put it on the roof?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I couldn’t do it…

Mrs drives a nice car.
    I now drive a nice van.
    She was away all weekend and left the car. I didn’t touch it, used the van all the time, much prefer it.

I have lost the ability to pack light though, so stuck with vans for life now I reckon!

Moved from a van to a car due to having a baby

On of my vans was bough from a guy who was becoming a Dad.
    I found that odd. Kids seat fits and for me, the van was great for trips away with a baby.

He’s 3 now, announced “Daddy’s van is more fun than Mummy’s car, I can see out and we have bikes in the back!”

dan_cube
    Free Member

this is like saying….

Been riding discs might go back to V’s

Van mate all day long…

zero-cool
    Free Member

I tried it last month when my van broke. 2 weeks later I own a new Transit Custom. Cars suck, modern vans are lovely. The wife has a car if we ever need one, but usually the van goes everywhere.

benp1

a combo van is the small one though isn’t it?

Which is then like an estate with the seats permanently down?

PrinceJohn

It’s the small one, but, it’s got way more headroom than an estate

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Van’s are brilliant! Chuck everything in the back even when wet then sweep out when it’s dry boooooooom.

A portable jet wash and flexi tub are handy things when using a car! Blast your bikes & gear (careful round pivots and bearings of course) off before a quick rag round, bit of WD on the chain and all the wet gear/rag bunged in the flexi tub 😉

wolfenstein
    Free Member

car-van-back to car, I would never have a van again. it has its perks but a saloon just drive better and plenty of boot space too enough to go for just a ride, I use towbar bike rack however which is not really that hard and same time to secure the the bike in bike rack or inside the van. cheaper road tax/toll/insurance than that bloody berlingo 😕 but maybe a low, car based lowered with stiff sporty spring 150+bhp ford transit or caddy maxi would probably makes a difference. and must be sound/road noise insulated like a car.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Our ford galaxy is like a van when all the seats are out, we even sleep in ours and im 6’0 tall, easy get 4 bikes and 4 riders for day trips 🙂 Hth

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP you can half way with something like an older Rav4 or a Yeti where the seats are removable, so van like when you need but still drives much more like a car.

cokie

I’m interested by this too.
    Fancy a van to sleep in and just throw stuff in, but then my commute is winding A-roads, which could be pretty grim in something that handles like a van.

zero-cool
    Free Member

And when you stop off somewhere on the way to/from the trails or park up in Morzine you don’t have to worry about the bikes being visible on the back seat to scum or easy to pinch off the top/back of car. Chatting to one of the drivers at BPW a while ago and he said all their bike thefts had been from the car park.

You can also sleep in vans and the dirt/wet is contained in the back.

mattbee

I just got rid of my T5 & replaced it with a car.
    Mainly as I wanted something better suited to towing my caravan & I just didn’t need the space most of the time.
    It is a bit of a pain having to go back to putting the bike on the outside but the towbar rack takes hardly any time & the comfier, quieter ride and better economy are certainly making up for it.

PrinceJohn

Cheers guys – at the moment I’m erring to a car, got a longer commute now, & mostly ride from home so don’t use it for bike transport so often

sime46
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a Transit connect(the small van). It’s perfect for biking and I’ve never been happier. I’ve lowered it and fitted ST wheels and seats. It’s a little giggle around the lanes and my bike and gear flies in. Much easier than the car. Also when the doors are shut no one can see or access my precious steed. With a few tasteful mods a little van can be a real hoot. Just my 2p worth.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP if you are worried about theft you can ensure bike is covered and lock it to the car anchor points (usually in boot) with a chain/cable lock, it won’t stop a thief with bolt cutters but I’d wager a casual thief won’t have those to hand.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Went from T5 to a rubbish car B5.5 Passat for biking.

Car better in every way other than ability to carry needless junk.

Now nicer car (F11 5 Series) with a tow bar for a bike rack, and there is literally no way I would consider a van. i have a friend with a T6 and another with a fancy pants Transit and they are still crap compared to a decent car. No way would I want to do a big trip in one.

my only regret is we kept the van for so long.

mahalo

i got little van for bike duties, ended up using it far more than I anticipated. I love it. but its also good to get back into our nice, smooth, big leather armchair, quiet car at weekend – something that id been taking for granted before!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no way I would consider a van. i have a friend with a T6 and another with a fancy pants Transit and they are still crap compared to a decent car. No way would I want to do a big trip in one.

Done right they are much better at hauling bikes, giving shelter, somewhere to stay, handling muddy gear and all those things than any car. At the end of a crappy wet ride being able to get changed and cleaned up in the van as opposed to dancing round the car park in a towel of in some shitty public toilets is great. Loading bikes in and out in seconds, not caring about parking and having everything chained down. Going away for a week with no plan and heaps of options and all that.

They are just different, better or worse is up to what your trying to do.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Went from T5 to a rubbish car B5.5 Passat for biking.

Car better in every way other than ability to carry needless junk.

Now nicer car (F11 5 Series) with a tow bar for a bike rack, and there is literally no way I would consider a van. i have a friend with a T6 and another with a fancy pants Transit and they are still crap compared to a decent car. No way would I want to do a big trip in one.

my only regret is we kept the van for so long.

Your either a van person or your not. I think it’s fair to say your not.

I’ve always had a van since I could drive 30 plus years now (eek I’m getting old), some company vans but mostly privately owned. I’ve had cars too at the same time. We have an old focus at the mo and I had to use it a couple of times lately to transport the bike and what a bloody flaff! Couldn’t wait to get back in the van again.

mark90
    Free Member

I ride more (both for me and as a family) since I got a van than I did with the prior focus estate. Just so much easier to chuck the bike(s) in and go than faffing with child seats, folding rear seats, protecting the upholstery/carpet or faffing with bike racks. I wouldn’t want to go back to a car, but then I spent many years driving a land rover 90 or 110 as my primary vehicle so the van (T5) is streets ahead on speed and refinement.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you enjoy biking, get a van.

If driving is your thing, get a car.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I would not want to go back to a car again for biking surfing camping etc
    My current van a slow ugly peugeot expert is no go kart but driving to work there is so much traffic in the way it does not matter.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They are just different, better or worse is up to what your trying to do.

Very much so. As someone who rides and races a fair amount, still no contest. Not interested in a van.

I’d rather stay in a tent than sleep in the back of one.

In fact i’d rather do neither – i’ll go & spend the night in a nice B&B rather than get a crap nights sleep in the back of an old builders wagon.

I can’t believe we used to sleep in the back of the van at nationals. What a tramp.

If you enjoy biking, get a van.

If driving is your thing, get a car.

I enjoy biking and hate driving. A half decent car makes driving bearable. A decent van still makes driving crap.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d rather stay in a tent than sleep in the back of one.
    In fact i’d rather do neither – i’ll go & spend the night in a nice B&B rather than get a crap nights sleep in the back of an old builders wagon.
    I can’t believe we used to sleep in the back of the van at nationals. What a tramp.

Being set up with a proper bed, comfy mattress and duvet with some creature comforts makes a difference along with being at the race nice and early cooking breakfast on the gas bbq, enjoying a pot of tea before deciding to roll out for practice never felt like being a tramp though it was an old builders Van.

chakaping
    Free Member

Van is essential for me simply to keep bikes away from prying eyes.

I’d have one anyway for the practicality, but obvs they’re not for everyone.

phil40
    Free Member

We are going to look at one next week! My wife is sold on the idea after seeing a friend fit four bikes, children and adults into a van with no bother! There would also be room for the dog!

It won’t be a VW as that is beyond our budget, but looking at the Vauxhall equivalent!

muddylegs
    Free Member

Completely off topic but VW arn’t as good as they once were. I know I own one. Keep your options open.

sharkattack

Say what you want about vans. I can just pop in the back and use my home made urinal any time I like.

chakaping
    Free Member

#LivingTheDream sharkattack

😀

mattbee

I hope you’ve at least peeled the ‘Mountain Spring’ label off….

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Going from a van to a car’ is closed to new replies.