Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Going from 3×9 to 2×9
  • soundninjauk

Probably noob question here, but I’d like to be sure of things before I start buying the wrong bits.

My bike has a 2006 XT drivetrain with 2006 Race Face Evolve XC cranks/chainrings on it, and I’m considering taking the large chainring off and replacing it with a bash guard as I use it basically never. How easy will this be?

The main obstacle in my mind is setting the front shifter/mech so that I can’t try and shift into the bash ring. I know some newer shifters have a switch on them to flip from 2x to 3x, but I can’t see one on mine and I suspect it’s too old. The window on the handlebars also has 3 obvious sections.

Would it just be a question of setting the high stop on the front mech so that it can’t shift any further than the current middle ring? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks in advance.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Would it just be a question of setting the high stop on the front mech so that it can’t shift any further than the current middle ring?

Yes

ryreed
    Free Member

As said above…you’re on the right track. You may also want to consider removing a few links from your chain now that you won’t need the length for the big ring?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soundninjauk

As said above…you’re on the right track. You may also want to consider removing a few links from your chain now that you won’t need the length for the big ring?

Yup, that makes sense. So will make the adjustment to the high stop mean that the front shifter will only go one click each way rather than two?

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Depending on which bash guard you fit you may need new chainring bolts

If it’s a metal bash, then you can sometimes use the existing bolts

If it’s polycarbonate (plastic) then you usually need longer chainring bolts

The only other thing you may want to do is (once your current chainrings have worn out) go for a higher tooth count on your middle ring

I went up from 32 tooth to 36 tooth when I did the same as you’re considering, which helped with the loss of the big ring gears

JohnnyPanic

As well as considering upping the middle ring size to a 36T you may also want to consider gettiing a steel Deore one. Reasonably cheap & lasts longer. Also a chain guide like the Stinger

soundninjauk

I was wondering whether a chain guide would be overkill. It’s an Orange P7 with a Hope BB, it doesn’t have any chain guide tabs on it and dropping the chain on the front is a pretty rare occurrence. On the other hand, if it makes it look better then I’m mostly sold on it.

Good call on upping the tooth count on the middle ring, although to be honest I’m so rarely in need of gears higher than what’s currently on the middle ring that I’m not sure it’s necessary (hence the bash guard in the first place!).

I was considering the Hope guard (not sure on size yet, haven’t counted the teeth on the largest chainring), any idea on whether I’d need new chainring bolts?

JohnnyPanic

Get a BB mounted chain guide and it doesn’t require tabs, it just replaces one of the BB spacers on the drive side.

ryreed
    Free Member

“Yup, that makes sense. So will make the adjustment to the high stop mean that the front shifter will only go one click each way rather than two?”

Yep, if you try to shift in to the big ring/bash guard you’ll just get resistance through the shifter…you’ll not ever do that though after a ride or two.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My AnthemX is like this. Bash/36/22 at the front. The 36 is a steel Deore ring. Mech is adjusted appropriately. Winner.

soundninjauk

Ok, sounds great so far. Final question, what size bash to go for given that it’s currently a 44/32/22 triple? The one I’m looking at comes in 3 sizes, 32t – 34t, 36 – 38t and 40t. I’m thinking that 36t – 38t would be the most sensible as it’ll let me change up my middle ring from a 32 to a 36 steel Deore when it wears out.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sounds right if you’re planning on fitting a bigger ring later

mudmonster
    Free Member

I ended up taking off my bash ring as as I’ve only managed to get a rock to hit it twice. Saves a bit of weight and I can clean the outside of my chainring now.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got an SLX 22/36/bash chainset on my Boardman, only thing we had to do was wind the stops in on the front mech so you can’t change up onto the bash ring…
    The bash ring has a few scuffs and scrapes out of it, so it must be working!

JohnnyPanic

I ended up taking off my bash ring as as I’ve only managed to get a rock to hit it twice. Saves a bit of weight and I can clean the outside of my chainring now.

Bash ring also guards against ‘toothing’ yourself on the calf during mishaps 😀

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I think there’s a fair chance you’ll be able to get away with the existing chainring bolts for the Hope bash

I have a Truvativ Rockguard on one of my bikes & a E13 Supercharger on the other

Both are Polycarb/Plastic & did require longer bolts

I did briefly have a Race Face metal bash which I think used the standard size bolts

I only switched as I prefer the plastic/polycarb bash guards

I’m also running one of the Blackspire Stingers on one of my bikes & this has been a good buy

soundninjauk

One of the reasons I’m going for this is to reduce the chance of a tooth/leg interface.

I’m also not really however the most gnarrrr/airtime is king type of rider, so will probably start without the Blackspire and see how I go. The rear mech is only long cage rather than super long cage or whatever anyway to start off with, so I’ve not got yards of chain flapping around back there.

Cheers for the advice, I’ll grab a bash once I’ve been paid and then see how I go!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Going from 3×9 to 2×9’ is closed to new replies.