Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Going digital—set top boxes
  • jamesb
    Free Member

OK so as of early April we are going digital, like it or not. I live in a difficult reception area, need a aerial booster, otherwise just snow on screen. An old TV too, if I just buy a cheap set top digital box will this be easy to set up and will it work (btw Freeserve website indicates reception will be OK but aerial adjustmenst may be required)

Pls reply in a manner that a non techie can understand 🙂 Ta!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

if I just buy a cheap set top digital box will this be easy to set up and will it work

The box will be a doddle to set up and in that sense will work…. whether you have sufficient signal strength to allow the box to actually show you a picture is another matter.

kimbers

what bristolbiker said

u may have to get a new aerial and get a company to install it for you as they will allegedly be able to optimise your reception

id avoid buying the cheapest box from your local supermarket too, a lot of online reviews about what box to go for

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Get Freesat.

I’m in a crap area and no amount of new ariels and boosters did the trick, the signal was too weak. Get an expert in to give you the options.

ski
    Free Member

James, its worth checking with your neighbours & see if they have any problems picking up the freeview signal & what Ariel setup they are using.

Most TV Ariel firms will say you need one regardless 😉

Freview boxes, as long as you have a good signal are pretty easy to setup, nearly all now autotune the freeview channels for you.

You could always buy one from Argos and see if it works with your existing setup 😉

verses

Is your telly so old that it doesn’t have Scart sockets? Most Freeview boxes are Scart only, although there are one or two that will connect to the telly via an aerial lead instead.

jamesb
    Free Member

Telly is at least 20 yeras old (but it is a colour one!). So what would I need to get if I went to FreeSat or Sky sat stuff, still using old telly if this is possible?
    thanks again for helpful replies 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Going digital—set top boxes’ is closed to new replies.