Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Going carbon (new frame content)
  • tinytimbo
    Free Member

So I’m looking for a new frame and feel like now is the time to go carbon.
    This bike will need to last me minimum of 5 years probably more so don’t want to go alloy then wish/realise carbon would have been the better option and the future material to go for.

The one thing putting me off carbon is I guess the unknown. Are they really strong enough and do they last.
    Can a carbon frame like the Bronson have a decent life expectancy?

In the back if my mind I have horrible thoughts of carbon frame failure, this is hopefully unfair and just because I’ve never owned one. Bronson’s have a 5 year warranty, do they actually stand by this, has anyone broke one and had to claim?

Rosss
    Free Member

When you think about horrible frame failure, what exactly do you see happening?

tinytimbo
    Free Member

I saw a picture recently of a kona process with a horrible head tube failure.
    So I get images of head tubes coming apart.

I know this can happen with alloy frames but its the way it fails that worries me.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Was it a carbon Process?

You just can’t afford to worry yourself about how other people’s frames failed. Big guys ride bikes not designed to take their weight or clumsy riding, some people just neglect their bikes, some ride harder than others, some ride with less skill. The photo’s of failures then go on line, and you have no idea how it REALLY happened – not what the owner thought happened.

An alloy frame can fail too and similarly catastrophically.

Pick a company with a good history of carbon frames and/or warranty if you’re that worried.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Kona don’t do a carbon process. My next door neighbours roof blew off last winter, but I’m still happy to have a roof.

Wouldn’t ride a plastic frame though :mrgreen:

tinytimbo
    Free Member

Yes pretty sure it was a carbon process, although the poster above says they don’t exist? I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have had carbon frames.

I’ll looking at the Bronson, new nomad and Tracer 275 C.

I know the Santa Cruz have 5 years warranty which is very reassuring (if they honour it)
    Not sure about the intense’s warranty.

sharkattack

I work in the warranty department of a large manufacturer who are masters of carbon fibre.

I ride an alloy bike.

bikeneil
    Free Member

As I said kona don’t do a carbon process.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

I’ll try to find the pic, must have been another model then, or a prototype process.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve owned a carbon Trek Fuel Ex, carbon 456, carbon Titus FTM and now a carbon Lapierre Zesty.

Not had an issue with any of them, ridden all bar the 456 abroad in places like the Alps / Morocco / Italy etc and wouldn’t think twice about buying another carbon frame.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just changed from an ally frame to a carbon frame and it is a strange feeling knowing that for the first time my frame isn’t metal. It makes a strange noise when you tap it and I am disproportionately concerned about rock strike, I have never been worried about that before. It is a lovely frame and so nice to ride, although I havnt ridden the aluminium version so can’t say if any of that can be attributed to the material.

I think, in general, on the same model carbon looks better than aluminium.

selaciosa
    Free Member

I’ll try to find the pic, must have been another model then, or a prototype process.

it was an Operator – was on Pink Bike… and was swiftly removed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve seen ripped out chain stays, snapped off head tubes, dented tubes, cracks around seat posts and much more in Alu frames. It’s not a magic material that lasts forever.

I’ve seen cracked carbon top tubes (big impacts) repaired and ridden on.

It’s a decent material, it has a 5 year warranty which I would trust to be honoured and they look like very nice frames.

TheFlyingOx

I’ve got a carbon full sus XC bike that I bought in 2010. I’ve ridden it places way in excess of what it was designed for, and I’m always a kg-or-two either side of the maximum recommended rider weight. I’ve even put 120mm forks on it, when it was designed for 100mm.

I’m still here, as is my bike.

Me on my 6yr old plastic bike, not thinking it’s about to snap

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eM6mAz]Stanage[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Carbon can be stronger than alu if it’s laid together in the correct manufacturing process. Stop worrying about it

nickc

OP are you frame breaker? as mtbtomo suggests, don’t worry about what other people do, ride your bike.

Carbon is a well understood material these days, bikes from well known manufacturers are sound.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

Nickc, not really. Nothing major anyway.

In the last 15 years I have had about 10 alloy frames.
    Out of those I broke 2.

Kona alloy hard tail developed a hair line crack under the head tube.
    Another kona (full Sus) snapped at the chain stay near the brake caliper.

I’m going to try and get a test ride on a Bronson or Nomad. Really like the look of the new nomad.

Like a poster said above, It just feels strange not having a frame made from metal.

Why is there such an issue with rock strikes on carbon? I see most frames have some sort of built in protection in the downtube.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

If you’re worried about the strength of a carbon Santa Cruz just check out the video of the SC guys testing the strength of their carbon Blur frame (I think) the fact that it takes three guys repeatedly cracking it on the corner of a piece of machinery just to get a crack in the downtube says a lot about it’s strength.
    Sorry for not supplying the link, I am at work and can’t surf for long

bugcab
    Free Member

I remember these kind of questions about Ti when that was first used.

Depends on how its built and by whom. My first Carbon MTB was a cube 29er. The headset bearing seat collapsed first ride. Cube answer was you just cant tell with carbon until it breaks. That is not true I later discovered. It is all down to how its made. Well thought out and carefully laid up by hand makes all the difference. I went to the Santa Cruz factory and saw them building their bikes. Well paid bike lovers work there opposed to sweatshop employee’s thousands of miles away from final market.

They love their bikes and design and build with passion. Look at the vids of their frame tests, alloy could never match that strength. Well designed and conscientoiusly built carbon costs money but will last. Of course it is vulnerable in different ways (crushing or sharp impact mainly) but not over clamping and frame protection covers that.

I have a mate who’s carbon Nomad came off the car doing around 70, with new components it is still being ridden today!

bugcab
    Free Member

Here is the test vid I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

Crazy!!

I also have new med carbon Bronson frame for sale if you are interested Timbo.

grtdkad

Similarly I bought a Whyte 19 Carbon frame with apprehension back in 2010 – it has been well ridden ever since and it is intact (and superb).

Have recently added a carbon Scott Scale to the collection
    …absolutely no regrets with carbon.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sharkattack, are those two facts related or not?

Sundayjumper

A colleague of mine refuses to even consider buying a carbon frame because nobody offers a lifetime warranty on them.

He rides occasionally and has never broken a bike in his life.

🙄

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve never had a carbon MTB but I’ve broken lots of alloy frames! Up until I got a Cove they mostly failed after 4 years. Cracks that creaked not catastrophic failures.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Had my TRc for over a year now, ride the crap out of it, it gets rocked pinged off it regularly, ragged down Snowdon, washed, re-greased, rinse and repeat. No worries about the strength of the carbon.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Plastic Nomad stronger than beercan Nomad

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

tinytimbo
    Free Member

Wow, that video shows carbon in a great light.

Interesting they suggest the heavier and more aggressive rider should go for carbon.

This has made my mind up, definitely going to purchase a carbon one now.
    Just need to get a demo.

Oh and to the offer of a Bronson. I need a large, sorry.
    How come you are selling anyway?

bugcab
    Free Member

Tinytimbo, pretty sure you won’t regret that decision, great bikes well made and they seem to be good to their word on warranty from what I hear.

I am selling frame as I went to factory with plan to buy frame and build dream bling XX Xtr bike up myself. Whilst there could not resist a great offer on the demo bike I rode but also got the frame as wanted to build the bling machine (and maybe swap the enves from demo). Return from hols, bills and reality have pursuaded me to live with lower but great spec ready to ride bike. Just wished I had bought the large as have (taller) mates who would have snapped at the offer and the rest of the Bronson buying public look to be over 5ft 10!

Happy riding Tinytimbo.

slowjo
    Free Member

A colleague of mine refuses to even consider buying a carbon frame because nobody offers a lifetime warranty on them.

There are lifetime warranties on carbon frames…Cannondale for example, I’m sure Trek do so that’s two….

Bregante

A mate who snapped several consecutive aluminum Scott Ransoms was eventually upgraded to a carbon one under warranty. As far as I know its still in one piece.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yes, I think Trek do offer a lifetime warranty but they were making carbon frames a long time before a lot of others.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Going carbon (new frame content)’ is closed to new replies.