Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going back to a place you once worked ? .. yes or no ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Left above job over 10 months ago, to what i thought was a better job , closer to home , bit more money etc but ended up hating it, after 5 months i ended up leaving and since then ive just carried on with agency work to tide me over, moneys not the best but very very local , but now the position i left 10 months ago has come back round and they have already agreed i`ll get an interview if i apply
    Problem is, its a 50 mile commute every day, which is roughly 10 hrs a week in the car and not much more money than im on at the agency once i take my diesel money out the equation ?
    Ive never gone back to a job before, always moved forward but this is permanent position with benefits etc , rather than agency work ! … im bothered ill go back and within a month realize why id left in the first place ?
    Would u go back for an easy life or move on and carry on looking ?

redthunder
    Free Member

You got to do whats necessary.

I would try for NO. But if you have no choice press on… it’s only a job after all.

riklegge

In a similar situation here. I went and had a chat with some of my ex-colleague friends, and soon remembered why I had left.

Personally I think you are better looking for an alternative, or enjoying the extra time you get now by not needing to commute.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Have the reasons for leaving gone away? If not then you know the answer…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume you left because you hated the commute

As you wont be financially better off and will have the commute I am struggling to see why as I expect you will just leave again

FWIW i have known a few people try higher paid jobs with other companies and not liked the work load or stress or travelling who have returned to jobs they enjoyed but left to pursue /further their career. They seeme happy enough to have gone back- it reads like you left because you did not want to work there and I doubt that has changed

Can you negotiate a pay rise or transport fees or work from home some days?

sharkattack

A few years ago I had a cushy job where I thought I’d be set for the foreseeable future and we started looking for somewhere to live. It got really quiet and they laid me off the week before Christmas. Still out of work in February they got in touch and asked if I wanted to go back. I did and we started saving again. Got laid off in the middle of December again. I was properly livid and haven’t spoken to a single person who works there since even though I was mates with a few of them beforehand.

I know, I know, cool story.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

tomnavman – Member
    Have the reasons for leaving gone away? If not then you know the answer…

There`s been some big changes there , manager been sacked for bullying the staff etc was a big one ,but there were other things i wasnt happy with but the commute is the biggest killer for me, and the fact ill have to start at the bottom of the pay grade again and will take me 4 yrs to reach the top of my banding !
    At present its agency work but 7 mins bike commute or my old job with an hrs drive each way with no financial gain at all 🙁

RobHilton
    Free Member

ill have to start at the bottom of the pay grade again

Say what? Negotiate.

Not that I’m an awesome negotiatior 🙂

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Can you negotiate a pay rise or transport fees or work from home some days?

Its not that type of job,im in mechanical maintenance

tenfoot

I went back to my old company after an absence of 5 years

Main reasons – I was under a lot of stress at my, then present job, I liked the work at the previous emloyer, I got on really well with the people I worked with, I knew what to expect from them and vice-versa and to be honest, it was easy just to slot back in.

The reason I left in the first place was the 70 mile round trip to and from work, across the Dartford Crossing everyday, plus some of the management is a bit direct, shall we say.

First couple of months I hated, and questioned my sanity, but they were pleased to have me back, and I settled in to the old routine eventually.

However, after 2 years a job came up, 1/3 of the distance from home, and for similar money, so after much thought I left.
    I did feel really bad, but I’ve been told I’d be welcome back anytime, so left on good terms.

So, I think what I’m trying to say is, the reasons you previously left will probably still be there, but I made the move with the thought that better the devil you know, and that it wouldn’t be forever.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going back to a place you once worked ? .. yes or no ?’ is closed to new replies.