Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Going 2×9, how many chain links should I remove?
  • buck53

Getting conflicting advice from searches.

I’m going 2×9 on my 120mm full sus build from 3×9 as the big ring has too many teeth for the front mech setup and I figure I can do without it.

How many links should I take out of the chain in order to keep it tight?

TIA

Conan257
    Free Member

Or, alternatively, big ring both ends + 2 links. Then cycle the suspension fully to see if that causes any issues.

mattjg
    Free Member

Probably just 1. Manually try the chain around biggest sprocket, through rear mech, round bigger ring. At the jockey wheels there should be a noticeable bend, you don’t want the mech straight and tight. On a 2x you likely will use that gear too, unlike on a 3x. See Park Tool website.

nickc

It’s about 2 ish. Mostly

depends…

Paceman
    Free Member

Take out two links. You’re more likely to use the whole range including big to big so no point in shortening it too much and risking snappage.

buck53

Thanks all, will probably take one at a time out and see how I go.

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve taken out three – I’ll probably crash now

timb34
    Free Member

I always get confused about this (and I’ve a new chain to fit tomorrow for a 2×9 conversion…)

When people say “two links” that means one inner and one outer, yes?

Like this:

So you can’t actually add one link – unless people mean “one link” to mean “one inner and outer pair for a total of one inch”

D0NK

When people say “two links” that means one inner and one outer, yes?

that’s how I read it, works for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Going 2×9, how many chain links should I remove?’ is closed to new replies.