Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Going 2×10 – XX vs XTR
  • NZCol

Haven’t seen or heard much on new 2×10 XTR, i see CRC are doing a ‘good’ deal on XX. I need a new drivetrain and brakes anyway and have the opportunity to go to XX – but wondered if and when XTR was going to show.

Yes I am a pimp daddy ho. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

IMO the ratios are better on XX, being slightly wider.

XTR is cheaper, and the chainset is lighter. The XX cassette is simply eye wateringly expensive, but seems to last well. Not so for the jockey wheels!

Personal preference and that really!

starsh78
    Free Member

When in doubt….. buy shimano XTR, the original and still the best 😉

bol

I went for xx because I prefer the shifting and always preferred x0 to Xtr. Ideally I would have preferred an Xtr chainset (lighter, longer-lasting probably, better looking), but as Njee says, the ratios are different, so unless you’re only using it for racing, SRAM 2×10 gives you a better choice IMO. The front shifting is amazing too.

Conrad
    Free Member

Had first run out on XTR this weekend and only positives came out of it. Went through the XX vs XTR debate for quite some time and thing that was major decider was the crankset – truative cranksets are poor compared to shimano and also limit your bb choices. My personal view is that you have to go a long way to better the Hope ceramic bb and XX cranks require shims which don’t really work.

Shifting is much better than M970 and I haven’t had issues with ratios.

njee20
    Free Member

The ratios certainly aren’t an ‘issue’, I just think the wider cassette makes wider spread of rings more sensible. Saying that I suspect the 28/40 would be very good. Annoyingly though, the new Fuel comes with 30/42.

NZCol

I’ve mainly been a Shimano person – anyone know of an online place that does an XTR grouppie. Would want 11-36 rear and , hmm, dunno what on the front. Its for a Tallboy.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

XTR, always. The new brakes are phenomenal.

New Shimano is lighter to shift with more noticeable clicks. It’s ridiculously easy to shift now.

midlifecrashes

How about the Hope integrated cassette gizmo when it comes along, they made a demo 10 speed 9-34 for the trade shows, no sign of a date for them on the website though.

Dougal
    Free Member

Nevermind.

ianpinder
    Free Member

i have an xtr drivetrain and brakes coming on thursday. woooooo. i’ll post some pics

NZCol

Have gone XTR, was cheaper* than XX and allegedly works better. I’ll report back

*it’s all relative.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Going 2×10 – XX vs XTR’ is closed to new replies.