Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Going 2 x 9 (or 10?) using existing crankset
  • chives
    Free Member

I’ve been assured it’s possible, but does anyone have recommendations for chain rings (I’d like to go 26 / 38 teeth) for my existing XT M770 (9 speed triple) crank set? Not sure whether I’ll stick with 9 out back or upgrade the whole shebang for 10 speed?

Cheers.

fadda

Normal chainrings, just pick your ratios carefully.

Going to 10 speed, though, will require mechs, shifters, chain and chainrings, as well as cassette (different width chain and pull lengths, see…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well so long as you can get a 26 & 38 that fit the cranks it’s as easy as removing rings and replacing. Re set the F Mech and off you go. Would suggest a bash on the outside and maybe a chain device lower if you want.

Check compatibility for 10 speed rings on the 9 speed cranks though.

chives
    Free Member

Thanks folks, happy with the process, was just wondering what brand of rings folks might recommend, as the Shimano ones appear to be 10 speed, and v-expensive!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FSA or middle burn on mine

njee20
    Free Member

TA Chinook

jambalaya
    Free Member

I never used the big ring so I just took it off and added a bash ring in it’s place – instant 2×9

chives
    Free Member

Thanks njee, I was struggling to find any Middleburn in 38 teeth guise, everyone seems to stop at 36! The Chinook’s look decent.

I was wondering if I could turn the teeth off a worn 44 tooth cog and use that as a bash ring?
    Or should it be a bit more flexible to avoid crank damage? Again, a lot of the bash rings I’ve seen suggest they’d only cover 36 teeth – any good suggestions to work with 38 t?

Thanks for the responses!

PaulD
    Free Member

+1 for TA

Try Spa Cycles.

PaulD

robowns
    Free Member

Id say theres a high chance that a 38t ring on the middle of a triple chainset will foul your frame, I couldnt even get a 37 in mine.

Forget just taking off the top ring, 32t is too slow.

chives
    Free Member

Robowns, good point – I’ll have to check that. I use the bike for everything, so 32 would be far too low for me. Chainring diameter’s worked out by No. of teeth x 13 divided by 3.142 if memory serves. I’ll try & see if a 158mm diameter ring would fit in the middle position.

Blimey, 3 x 9 anyone ??!! 😳

Edit: looks like 38 teeth would fit..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Going 2 x 9 (or 10?) using existing crankset’ is closed to new replies.