Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Going 1×11 with shimano cranks?
  • sam_underhill

Are the current 10 speed cranks the same for doubles and triples once you take all the rings off?

ie. From my spare parts shelf, does it matter which I use when putting a single ring on to use in a 1×11 drivetrain?

shredder
    Free Member

Also interested in this

njee20
    Free Member

Not all – the XTR race cranks have a different BCD and chain line.

Superficial
    Free Member

As far as I can tell from reading on here, it’s much less hassle to go 1×10 (or 1×11) using the middle position of standard triple cranksets.

A lot of people seem to have had trouble with double chainsets going to 1x.

njee20
    Free Member

Fwiw I did it on an XTR Race double, but I’d agree with the above, middle position of a triple is the easiest.

sam_underhill

Cheers folks. Triple chainset is best then, by the sounds of it. Or buy myself a “proper” set of cranks for the job. XT cranks are a pretty good weight / £ ratio though.

portydave
    Free Member

I use an xt triple, with a 32t race face narrow/wide on mu X01 11 spd set up. It’s spot on

duir
    Free Member

Conversely, I converted a 3X10 Shimano XTR M980 into 1X10 and had quite a bit of trouble with the chainline. The 3X10 puts a very weird angle on the chain when using the lowest gear. The 2X10 XTR is 3.2mm less chainline than the 3X10 and swapping over resolves the issue.

zelak999
    Free Member

@portydave what chain do you use with that set up?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Going 1×11 with shimano cranks?’ is closed to new replies.