Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Going 1 x 10
  • bluebird
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been done to death. What’s the minimum I need to change to go 1 x 10? I’m currently running 2 x 9.

Is it a case of replacing the rear cassette and chain, swapping the 2 shifters for one and removing a chainring. Or do I need a new chainring/crank too?

Also best front ring sizes. I was thinking 34T or 36T at the front and an 11-36 cassette

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Chain/cassette/rear mech/RH shifter

Cranks will be fine, any ring will be fine.

I run 36t with 11-36, light XC racey type FS bike, reasonably strong rider.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

It has 😉

You’ll need a new cassette and chain, new rear shifter and a singlespeed unramped chainring. I’m not sure what the consensus is about a new rear mech too – sure I rear that 9spd ones work ok.

On my 1×9 setups I run an 11-36 cassette and a 32t ring but anything bigger than that on the front would make things real awkward where I live. As it is, its perfect….

bluebird
    Free Member

Interesting, new rear mech. Is the range wider? I thought all the indexing was done at the shifter end.

njee20
    Free Member

Different cable pull ratios.

You can get around it by using a Shimano R440 flat bar road shifter, which uses the same cable pull as the 9 speed MTB stuff.

bluebird
    Free Member

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks everyone.

njee20
    Free Member

You do need a Shadow rear mech though to clear the 36 cassette sprocket.

kamina
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about going 1×10…

Seems almost everyone is selling long cage dérailleurs for that, wouldn’t short be sufficient for 32 / 11-36?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Your chainrings only need to be 10speed specific if you’re changing between rings, i.e. if you’re on a 2×10 or 3×10 system. For 1×10 you can use any ring you want, ramped, unramped, anodized pink etc.

If you’re pretty much sticking to riding off road then most likely a 32t ring will give you a more than big enough gear with an 11t sprocket. You’ll spin out at around 20mph with that gear.

If you are very fit (like Njee) and ride a lot on roads to get places, then that might be a bit limiting, but off road, I would be surprised if you’re ever spun out at 20mph. At that speed, you may be as effecient to tuck into an aero position and carry speed rather than pedal.

I’m actually running a 32t front with 11-36 rear and am on a short cage SRAM mech. If I was setting up again I would most likely go medium cage SRAM as the chain tension on the 36t rear can be a little high.

njee20
    Free Member

Your chainrings only need to be 10speed specific if you’re changing between rings, i.e. if you’re on a 2×10 or 3×10 system. For 1×10 you can use any ring you want, ramped, unramped, anodized pink etc

Even then you don’t need 10 speed rings, 9 speed ones are fine.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

You can get around it by using a Shimano R440 flat bar road shifter

the 10psd one is the R770. Minor point but thought I’d chip in 😉

Crell
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack –

So am I OK running a 3×10 spd chainset with 9 speed everything else?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I didn’t know that Njee – thanks for pointing it out.

Swalsey
    Free Member

If you ride a full suss, particualrly the single pivot variety, check what size chain-ring the pivot works best with.

mboy
    Free Member

Recently sold pretty much the last of my 9spd gear and went 1×10 on my hardtail. I bought the shorter caged version XT 10spd rear mech, it works better than the long cage one with only one ring.

Currently running with a 32T unramped chainring and a Superstar XCR chain device. Have a spare unramped 36T ring I may try out if I’m going riding somehwere flatter, but bear in mind I only got anywhere near spinning out 32×11 onroad going downhill, on a 24lb hardtail with a semi slick tyre on the back. Offroad it never felt under geared for certain. If my riding was more gravity based though, I’d fit the 36T for certain.

RHSno2
    Free Member

running 34 x 12-36 with short cage X9. Love it although run out of gears sometimes. Will change to 36 upfront.

j3ffo
    Free Member

@ Daveyboywonder, are you using the Ti 11-36 cassette that is available or the shimano deore one?

njee20
    Free Member

@ Daveyboywonder, are you using the Ti 11-36 cassette that is available or the shimano deore one?

Good point, the SLX one is 12-36, Shimano don’t do a 9 speed 11-36.

If using the ti one then it’s cheaper to go mid range 10 speed than to buy the cassette!

kamina
    Free Member

Good point, the SLX one is 12-36, Shimano don’t do a 9 speed 11-36.

If using the ti one then it’s cheaper to go mid range 10 speed than to buy the cassette!

How’s the spider on the SLX one? Is it full length or will you be looking at potential problems with aluminum cassette bodies?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My mistake – its the SLX one I’m using.

cookeaa

would it be beyond human imagination to swap the 12T on the SLX/Deore 12-36 9spd Cassette for an 11T jobbie?
    Or would the jump simply be too much, what is the next sprocket along’s tooth count?

I’ve been debating going 1×9 on the XC bike with that cassette and a 34T ring for a little while, being able to change the bottom sprocket might just edge it for me…

takisawa2

Just fitted a 10spd SLX kit to mine…rear mech, shifter, chain & cassette. 32 x 11-36 seems ok on my 29er. Enough for Cannock Chase anyway. Front ring is a Deore 9spd on Deore HT2 crank. Shifting is nice & precise. Very pleased. Same ratios on a 26″ should see you climb pretty much anything.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m running 1 x10 Short cage XT with a 34ring – 36-11 cassette, e-13 srs, been ok for 4 months now good range, found a 36 up front too much for me.

njee20
    Free Member

would it be beyond human imagination to swap the 12T on the SLX/Deore 12-36 9spd Cassette for an 11T jobbie?
    Or would the jump simply be too much, what is the next sprocket along’s tooth count?

It would be a big jump, if you wanted a gear for hooning on the road or whatever then it would be good, but it’d be equivalent to shifting 2 gears otherwise, I think the 12 would be more usable in most circumstances.

Janesy
    Free Member

njee, Sorry to hijack thread, You remember I wanted to do this with my Epic about 2 months ago.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47875

Mid July by the looks of it 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Janesy, use a Superstar components XCR then, or an MRP…

1×10 is the way to go for definite. Tried 1×9 with an 11-32 cassette before, the extra gear range of the 1 extra sprocket really makes a big difference. Found with a 32/32 bottom gear I just couldn’t get up the steepest hills, whereas so far with 32/36 bottom I’ve managed a whole lot more than I thought I would.

32/11 top gear is fine for anything except tailing people downhill onroad really, find myself in 32/15 or 32/13 most of the time on the road (with a semi slick back tyre I might add) so it’s ok.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s nowhere to mount one on an Epic – press fit BB and direct mount front mech, so you have to get the E13 one. Not too pricey though.

Janesy
    Free Member

Thanks njee, I could get the E13 (s3 mount) in white but I think i’ll wait for a black one.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Going 1 x 10’ is closed to new replies.