Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Goggles with XC Lid, anybody else?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

No matter what glasses for riding I use (Currently Oakley Half Jackets) I fog almost instantly, to the point where I don’t even bother putting them on for a ride.

When I reide more ‘gnar’ I have my full face and googles, which dont fog even half as much, especially down, and I’ve noticed that more people are using the mixture of both:

Like here

Anybody else tried this? I’d have the googles round my neck for long climbs anyway, seems an obvious solution to my problems?

RealMan
    Free Member

Stick them upside down in your helmet on climbs or in your pocket, then stick them back on for the descent. Glasses only fog when you’re going slowly.

And goggles are proper annoying to have round your neck for 80% of your riding.

IA

Also, goggles round your neck steam up loads if it’s at all damp. And that’s pushing up etc, not riding up.

I doubt your glasses would fog if you only had them on your face when you have goggle on…

GSuperstar
    Free Member

RealMan – I’m a heavy sweater, and a confident rider, speed isn’t a problem they fog regardless.

See I’m used to having goggles round my neck from downhill. But I suppose not for the same duration we’re talking.

lA – That’s a fair point I suppose they would fog up around the neck.

It’s just one of those infuriating things for me.

mintimperial

Have you tried any anti-fog stuff? I ride with prescription Oakleys and if I fog up I can’t just take the specs off. After trying washing up liquid and spit and the like I got hold of some anti-fog swimming goggle stuff (from Wiggle I think), and haven’t misted up since. Have to reapply it regularly though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

How about trying it out?

RealMan
    Free Member

Really? Even on descents? That’s nuts. Would give that anti fog stuff a go then.

Also goggles will sit differently on your face with an xc lid to a ff, and may fog up just the same, or even worse.

titusrider
    Free Member

reminds me of trailaddiction 🙂

i just put the goggles on the helmet for climbing

clubber
    Free Member

Worth a go with antifog. Odd that you’re having such a big problem though as it’s not something I’ve ever experienced other than for the first 5 seconds or so.

Realman, you sorted out those brakes yet?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Yeah I do it. Hang around the back of my neck when climbing, on for descending. Works fine.

People, including complete strangers, will take the piss.

rocketman
    Free Member

I use goggles and an open face (Fox Flux) quite often under the cover of darkness. Cold, still nights and warm moist breath are guaranteed to fog my usual riding glasses but Oakley MXs seems highly resistant unless provoked. Comfortable and unobtrusive enough to leave them in position on the climbs.

it’s not a look I’d recommend during the daytime though 🙂

jeff

goggles round neck -> sweat _will_ drop into them (IME)

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ha, I was expecting a few more comments about looking stupid.

I’m wondering if maybe the oakley lens I use maybe have lost a coating or something? Would a scratch in the lens affect this kind of thing?

Anti-fog might be wroth a look. I’ve always bypassed that stuff as I’m in the paintball industry and the stuff is usually crap.

clubber
    Free Member

I think looking stupid is a given here…

Old oakleys can lose their coating but you can usually see that quite clearly.

RealMan
    Free Member

If you’re worried about looking stupid, I think a piss pot and goggles looks slightly better..

Realman, you sorted out those brakes yet?

Not that it’s relevant to the thread in any way at all, but I’ve just been talking with the buyer this very minute. I think it would be more suitable for you to email me with questions rather then spam other peoples threads though.

cookeaa

I have Rocked the piss-pot and goggles look in the past 8)

I found when not required you could pop them up on the front of the lid (this was on an old 661 DJ lid), you know all “Desert Storm” style. worked ok but you have to have the strap at a sensible level or else it creeps up you run the risk of firing them off the back of your head at random…

Not sure it would work with a peaked XC lid though…

And it’s probably worth noting also that the unanimous verdict was that I looked like a proper **** as well…

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have in the past done this but I use a pisspot skate type helmet… they go on the lid for the climbs or in my pocket.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Ha, I was expecting a few more comments about looking stupid.

People on bikes look stupid, I doubt a pair of goggles will make much difference to this.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

p!sspot and Oakley goggles here – mostly either keep them on my face for the duration or push them up onto my lid for that Star Wars/Desert Storm look 😉
    Feel like a bit of **** sometimes though, but don’t get mud splattered in my eyes from around the side of the lenses and don’t fog as much as glasses either

muckytee
    Free Member

I do. I had some endura spectrums, all they did was fog up and make their way down my face on the descents, also one blotch of mud and you can’t see anything. Goggles are much nicer, mud blotches are smaller, they don’t fog up as much, they also stay on your face better and offer a bit of protection.

I put them round my neck for big climbs. Only thing is, not sure when it comes to summer, will be rather toasty in them…

Nothing worse than lycra bib shorts and orange xc glasses. Nobody has ever said anything to me. I like the look of XC lid and goggles, (I don’t look any better in glasses)

Also why the cost Fox Main pro goggles £50, most oakleys over £100.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member
    IA

Also why the cost Fox Main pro goggles £50, most oakleys over £100.

Pretty sure my oakley goggles cost me about £20…

muckytee
    Free Member

On about oakley glasses sorry

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Hmmm, well most of my attire is ‘gnar’ orientated over xc, so I imagine the goggles wont look that out of place from baggy shorts etc.

Thinking it’s worth a try, I’ll look less stupid then the ‘crashed in a bush because I couldn’t see through fog’ look.

…I hope.

druidh
    Free Member

A follow up…

I suffer a lot from watery eyes when riding and was considering some form of goggles. I use some prescription Oakley Half Jackets at the moment,so I need to consider something that would either (a) fit over normal specs, (b) be available with a prescription lens or (c) take a prescription insert. They would be for XC riding, so something minimalist would be ideal.

This looks like a bit of a selection problem, so I’m looking for some ideas.

Northwind

Good anti-fog is the place to start IMO. Nikwax Visor Proof for preference, it seems expensive but your grandkids will still be using that £7 bottle.

I find my goggles- Crowbars- don’t sit well with any of my XC helmets, I tend to get a bit of interference at the top (the Hex is really annoying, it shifts around just enough to rattle the goggles on rougher stuff). I get on OK with just cheap protective glasses though so never really tried hard to resolve that, maybe I could have.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Goggles and open face=win!

singlespeedstu

If you’re a real sweater the only solution is Smith turbo goggles.

There’s a small fan in the top that flows air over the lense to keep it fog free.

They work fantasticly well for Moto Enduros in the realy slow speed drag you bike through a bog type of trails.

legend
    Free Member

I find my goggles- Crowbars- don’t sit well with any of my XC helmets, I tend to get a bit of interference at the top (the Hex is really annoying, it shifts around just enough to rattle the goggles on rougher stuff).

Strange, my Hex – Oakley Proven combo works absolutely fine

mamadirt
    Free Member

I use Spy Mini Targas with a pi$$pot helmet – may look a bit daft if you have a big head though. I’m far too old to care what I look like anyway 😆

samcamsdad

giro zen and oakley crowbars for me, but only when its wet and muddy. like the singletrack weekender last year.(IT rained all morning and the track was still wet in most places.)

singlespeedstu

Those cars, tents and caravans seem to be parked on quite a slope in that picture. 😉

scaredypants

😆 @ ssS

samcamsdad

never noticed that before!

wrecker
    Free Member

Nike siege 2 glasses solved it for me. I’d tried half jackets, endura something’s and bolle.
    The bikes have a “flying” lens which allows the air to escape from behind the lens. It works. Not cheap though, well unless you have a friend who works fro Nike vision!

cookeaa

re-discovered the joys of Bob Heath’s spray this weekend (found an old can I’d forgotten all about in the bottom of my tool box) , my cheapy RX glasses/insert + a Full Facer + a moderately warm Saturday with a bit of moisture in the air from earlier rain – Moshing my way down then marching back up Aston hill for ~6 hours is normally a pretty good recipe for lens fogging.

But a good coating of Bob-Heath’s visor spray all over both sets of lenses seemed to keep fog almost completely at bay…
    Should work well on a single lens set of Oakley’s even better, and probably more convienient than pissing about with goggles on an XC ride…

stevehine

Publicity shot misleading difficulty level ? surely not….

tomglass20
    Free Member

(Publicity shot misleading difficulty level ? surely not….)

Will now have to clean the tea of my PC.

kudos100
    Free Member

LMAO. STW poster caught trying to fake gnar shocker!

samcamsdad

Note to self, must crop photos to avoid ridicule on stw!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Goggles with XC Lid, anybody else?’ is closed to new replies.