Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Gogglebox – is it wrong to like watching it?
  • hora
    Free Member

It feels lowbrow entertainment(?) yet strangely endering. Fair comment?

Have I gone soft?

Rorschach
    Free Member

yes (what is it?)

bearnecessities

Have I gone soft?

There’s no shame in admitting it; it’s probably age.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

You didn’t say that last night

DezB
    Free Member

You can watch whatever you like!
    Really really can’t stand it myself and it’s one of those things that I seriously don’t understand the appeal of. Bizarre.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Of course it’s not wrong to enjoy, it’s hugely popular for a reason…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes.

Why not grab a good book instead.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

Best thing on TV. Saves hours of watching as it gives a funny round up of what’s been on 🙂

martinhutch

My favourites are the father and sons from Derby. Followed by the weird posh couple and the drunk posh couple. 😀

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve watched this once. You have a strange definition of posh if you think any of the contestants resemble that description.

jimster01

A programme on TV of people watching TV, so simple it’s stupid.

A bit like Changing Rooms, Garden make over, or any other reality TV show, so simple it’s stupid and yet I wish I’d have thought of it.

manvstarmac

Not wrong to enjoy it if you stumble across it as it is cleverly addictive once you’re watching. Odd to seek it out for a second time IMO

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

If it’s wrong then I don’t want to be right!

vickypea
    Free Member

I also feel the same- it’s probably low brow, but I find it endearing. Most of the people are very likeable.

jimjam
    Free Member

I think there is something insidious about this type of programme, but then again I feel that way about most traditional broadcast tv these days.

I must admit there is a strange compulsion to stay tuned “what’s this? people watching tv? I watch tv too….wonder what they think?” but I feel disappointed in myself and humanity in general if I watch it for more than 30 seconds.

Talk to your friends at work about tv, or come on here. We are much funnier and more insightful.

hora
    Free Member

Talk to people at work about TV? I rarely watch much TV! This is a light-hearted review of the good, the bad and the ugly.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why we enjoy watching a programme about people I dont know whating programmes I have no idea. Its verging on voyeurism IMO. Although im strangely drawn to the girl from the North East…..
    I the fact that some of the people on there have become minor celebrities is even more curious.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I think they should do a program of folk watching Gogglebox!!!

martinhutch

You’re reading it.

MoreCashThanDash

I love it. Great to see other people’s reactions to programmes and their often humourous reactions, very similar to my own.

The vicar from up Mansfield way has done a couple of pause for thought on the Chris Evans show, and has been a revelation. Her comments a couple of days after the terror attacks in Belgium were incredibly powerful, without being Goddy.

binners

I think they should do a program of folk watching Gogglebox!!!

If that happens the world will implode.

Personally,I love it! One of the best things on telly. It interesting to notice stuff like what Steph and Dom are drinking this week, and how pissed they are, or what massive bowl of cakes/biscuits the Malones have got? As someones already said, the people on there are all really likeable and funny in their different ways

martinhutch

Not the same since he left.

nuke

We enjoy watching it…strangely addictive viewing; an abridged version of a week’s TV

However its waned slightly for us this series and we now prefer First Dates…probably a similar topic to this right there

theotherjonv

Love it.

The Geordie lass is a comedy genius.

ebennett

I think it’s great, mindless entertainment for when you don’t want to watch anything serious or read. Some of the faces the Manc dad makes are brilliant, and Scarlett (the lass from the NE – yes, I even know her name) is hilarious!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

no harm, but for the first time felt it was becoming tired and a bit clichéd/predictable this week

love the old bloke in his slippers

wl
    Free Member

If you’re someone who’s interested in people, how and what they think, our society, and our popular culture, then it’s great. If not, it’s probably irrelevant rubbish. I like it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It is a “fun” social experiment in my eyes. I normally can’t stand reality TV.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I like the Liverpudlian couple with the pervy old man and his long suffering wife.

DezB
    Free Member

wl
    If you’re someone who’s interested in people, how and what they think, our society, and our popular culture, then it’s great.

Oh wow, so much more highbrow than I realised! Talk about kidding yourself 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Oh wow, so much more highbrow than I realised! Talk about kidding yourself intellectual snobbery

wl
    Free Member

Er, where’s the intellectual snobbery? It’s a show about people, how and what they think, society and popular culture. Fact. If that’s something a viewer is interested in, then they might well like the show. Simple.

DezB
    Free Member

Er, where’s the intellectual snobbery?

I think he meant me. Obviously he’s far too intellectual for either of us to know what he’s on about.

What I actually don’t like about it, the same with the vast majority of reality programmes, is that it’s supposed to be normal people acting naturally, but they are so aware that they are being filmed that they are far from natural. It’s that “I’m on TV, aren’t I funny” act that I can’t stand.
    But, as I said previously, anyone else can watch whatever they like.

jimjam
    Free Member

DezB

the same with the vast majority of reality programmes, is that it’s supposed to be normal people acting naturally, but they are so aware that they are being filmed that they are far from natural. It’s that “I’m on TV, aren’t I funny” act that I can’t stand.
    But, as I said previously, anyone else can watch whatever they like.
    +1

_tom_
    Free Member

I enjoy it but I’m hardly a snob when it comes to tv. I probably used to be but I couldn’t give a shit any more. Enjoy what you want!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Perfect for a friday night un-wind…. but becoming a bit tired

I particular like …

Steph and Dom … natch

The orange girl when she comes out with an astute comment … edit

The baldie norther’s face when he see something he doesn’t like.

And Mary’s husband gently taking the pee out of himself.

edit … the lass from the northeast, with her mum and dad … not the two Leeds girls… they’re dull

hora
    Free Member

Gogglebox on sexbox 😆

Or mastermind.. You win **** that?!

stavromuller
    Free Member

Love it but then again I like watching people queuing at the checkouts in Morrisons (not in a pervy way, more in a bemused way)

Northwind

I think it’s pretty funny sometimes but I can’t help but think it’s better to take the piss out of TV yourself with your mates, than it is to have someone else do it. It’s a bit like the Office- everyone else said it was great, I thought, this is less funny than being in my office and I get paid for that.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Gogglebox – is it wrong to like watching it?’ is closed to new replies.