Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • god parent question, c of e and catholic ??
  • firestarter
    Free Member

hi my little one is getting baptised c of e and id like one of his godparents to be my mate but hes catholic . is this a no no or do the church not mind ?

mrsflash
    Free Member

I think that’s ok, it’s only a problem if they’ve not been christened themselves.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers clare 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

I may be wrong though!

I saw on that other thread you’re off to nidderdale on Sunday, we’re riding from Pateley Bridge if you want to join us?

ton

mick, i am a mormon, we do good baptisings……………. 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

Here you go; [/url] looks ok.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive done some google work i think you may be right 😉 thanks for the offer but my mates after a shortish one and im trying to learn how to work my garmin . were just doing a 20 ish mile pootle ;-)might see you in cafe tho lol

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I was godfather to my mates son in a Catholic service (I’m not Catholic), and to be honest, I never felt that comfortable with it, and I certainly never got asked the same questions as the others in the service.

Then again, they weren’t married, had 2 kids, and it was all a bit odd to start with, they didn’t really seem to get treat like a proper couple during the service.

snowslave

They’ll be glad to get their mitts on anyone in church – godparents could be godzilla and attilla the hun!

firestarter
    Free Member

lol

roper
    Free Member

I’d go to church to see that christening. 🙂

mrsflash
    Free Member

snowslave, not so. My muslim friend was not allowed to be godfather to his best mates son.

Will keep an eye out for you on the trails then mick!

firestarter
    Free Member

aye may see you and mr f out and about . do you do the north leeds rides much these days ? ive not been for ages now

i guess the church may be more concerned hes over in iraq at the min than his religion 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

No, not been out for ages tbh. Keep meaning to but just don’t seem to get round to it.

firestarter
    Free Member

me too im either on shift or weather is poo or something else comes up lol. maybe see you tomorrow . catch you later 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I think it’d be ok, but might be at the vicar’s discretion.

firestarter
    Free Member

we have 5 churches in the parish so one of them should be ok i just wasnt sure if it was a complete no-no but seems not to be. cheers all

miketually
    Free Member

Just asked a church secretary who says it’s not a no no, but is at discretion of vicar.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I suppose it depends how ‘traditional’ the vicar/priest is.

My folks are originally from E Leeds, dad’s CofE & mum’s catholic. We’re talking nearly 50 years ago now, but the local catholic church wouldn’t even let him in the churchyard, let alone marry them.

Funny how they never recognised the divorce 10+ years later either…

mrsflash
    Free Member

my parents were mixed catholic/cofe and both religions were happy to marry them. The only proviso was the catholic priest wanted assurances that the children would be brought up catholic. They went for the cofe wedding 😀

snowslave

My muslim friend was not allowed to be godfather to his best mates son.

That’s pretty sad really. Nice to see they all don’t do that.

radler
    Free Member

or leave the decision of whether or not to be part of an institutionalised cult till a time where the child is able to make that decision for themself…..?

the child is not catholic, coffee or muslim; just by chance the child of parents with faith. a faith of what is questionable and therefore we say faith in belief and not faith in fact.

faith in a book? what someone has written based on what they heard as being fact…… 2000 yeards ago.

i read a book once. it was good.

momo

I’m catholic, and I’m godfather to my friends son who was christened as C of E.

Harry_the_Spider

What a load of cobblers. I’m an atheist and am also a Godparent because my sister wanted me to do it and the local URC haven’t got their heads up their arses when it comes to other peoples choices in life. My brother in law (atheist but Christened a Methodist) recently married a practicing Catholic and was asked by the priest to show documentary proof of his Methodist credentials. The Methodist minister thought it was quite amusing “yeah, I’ll do you a letter but if it was me I would have taken your word for it.”

Surely the priest should be more concerned about the fact that those concerned are good and decent people, and that he is getting a full church that will add a few hundred quid to funds.

I didn’t get married in a church and my kids won’t be baptised (unless they choose to in later life).

dr_adams
    Free Member

I think you should try and find someone of a very different faith, you know to cover all the bases! or maybe get someone of each faith.

higgo
    Free Member

My muslim friend was not allowed to be godfather to his best mates son.

That’s pretty sad really.

Given that he would have been asked to ‘perform’ the following Q&A I can understand why a Muslim shouldn’t be a godfather:

Do you turn to Christ as Saviour?
    I turn to Christ.

Do you submit to Christ as Lord?
    I submit to Christ.

For the same reason, as an atheist, I haven’t had our kids baptised and wouldn’t act as godfather if asked. I couldn’t answer those and other questions in the service truthfully.

<hypocrit> we had a church wedding </hypocrit> but I don’t remember anything quite as black/white as the baptism questions in the wedding service. I’d also told the vicar in the run-up that I was an atheist – he laid it on a bit in the sermon.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Blatant discrimination asides, If your church and or vicar will not allow you to choose a godparent for your child because he is a differnt faith, do you really want your child to be associated with said church. I though christ taught to treat all men equal?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘god parent question, c of e and catholic ??’ is closed to new replies.