• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • God only knows
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Nah, just the fingers

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Just saw this – I thought the BBC version of Perfect Day was bland & soulless, this version of God Only Knows however has upped the blandness, removed more soul & then massively overproduced so they’ve managed to remove any uniqueness or individuality of any of the performers involved.

It’s the musical equivalent of a Ford Focus.

brooess
    Free Member

To be fair, trying to cover a Beach Boys song and come out of it looking better than the original is not a sensible thing to try and achieve – you’re going to lose…

I love the original but this was too bland – everyone just repeated the same line. Not sure why Dave Grohl felt the need to clench his fist for emotional effect?

Northwind

brooess – Member

Not sure why Dave Grohl felt the need to clench his fist for emotional effect?

I think that was him realising he’d wasted an entire day just to say “God only knows”. Next scene was him punching the director

paulmgreen
    Free Member

The original is brilliant …..

This version is truly dreadful……

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your taste doesn’t make you a better person

It is your absence of it that makes me the better person

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t particularly like this version or the original.

I do like that though :mrgreen:

metalheart
    Free Member

The original is truly sublime, a genius at his peak.

This version could never, ever match that original, singular point in time. I don’t hate it, but wouldn’t be upset if I never hear it again…

Can’t help but think its a bit of a waste of the TV licence payers money… 😉

As for perfect day, that was much worse. I always thought the BBC failed to understand the songs original meaning (as woppit pointed out, spending the day on smack).

As for Brian May having vastly more musical talent than Lou Reed, away and shite. Lou’s guitar playing (with the velvets any ways) is way more original than Brian’s. I can listen to Lou’s ‘subway’ sound all day, Brian has me rapidly searching for the off switch. But then I’m a fan of minimalist (and repetitive) music.

Pigface
    Free Member

What did Jake Bugg actualy do? 😆

The way some were frothing on here I thought it was going to be a true car crash but it is just what you expect from the Beeb now, safe and a bit dull. Lavish production of not much at all.

As has been said daft song to try and cover as the original was so brilliant, good to see Brian Wilson is still functioning.

mudshark
    Free Member

According to the Independent an Iron Maiden track was planned, now that would have interested me.

The original concept was to produce an orchestral version of Iron Maiden’s ‘Phantom of the Opera’, a seven-minute epic from the heavy metal band’s self-titled 1980 album.

Somehow it’s “Haunt me, you taunt me, you torture me back at your lair” lyric did not exactly lend itself to Jamie Cullum’s croon.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/how-pharrell-williams-won-pole-position-on-bbcs-god-only-knows-allstar-video-9782844.html

RustySpanner

Junkyard – lazarus

😀
    Give me a shout if you fancy a Blunderbuss.

metalheart – Member
    Can’t help but think its a bit of a waste of the TV licence payers money…

Parasite!
    🙂

As for perfect day, that was much worse. I always thought the BBC failed to understand the songs original meaning (as woppit pointed out, spending the day on smack).

There are small furry creatures on Alpha Centauri that are bored to tears with other small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri telling them that ‘Perfect Day’ was about heroin.

Seriously, there are remote Amazonian tribes who’ve based their whole culture on this.

A couple of music snobs getting annoyed that their carefully rehearsed, conversation killing fact has been subverted, obviously deliberately, makes the BBC version even sweeter.
    🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Well rustie, if anyone knows about broken records it’s yer good self. I’ll give you that 😉

I knew you wouldn’t let me down.

And it’s not snobbery, it’s elitism :mrgreen:

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘God only knows’ is closed to new replies.