Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • God – he's smashing isn't he?
  • silverpigeon
    Free Member

Fair point. Was much more entertaining though.

Spaceman
    Free Member

As a religious person I find it interesting the length people go to prevent their kids finding out about the truth of Santa claus when they scoff at the value in having faith in God.

Perhaps it's because santa claus is just a weak joke that you play on your kids to make them feel better, oh wait…I get it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

there was a remark earlier about God being worthess. Not to me it isn't. But I respect that your experiences might be different to mine. Perhaps you could reciprocate by not being quite so rude?

don't we all speak for ourselves? If someone says god is worthless, it's their opinion and doesn't legislate for anyone else. My position is that gods are irrelevant. I mean, if you only behave well because of some theoretical punishment or reward hereafter, it's merely self seeking hypocrisy.

tazzymtb

if you only behave well because of some theoretical punishment or reward hereafter, it's merely self seeking hypocrisy

bloody hell, I agree with something that simonfbarnes has posted, I've spent too long on the STW forums 😯

Kevevs
    Free Member

isn't it 42?

porterclough
    Free Member

I mean, if you only behave well because of some theoretical punishment or reward hereafter, it's merely self seeking hypocrisy.

Will God understand this logic though? It seems doubtful, he sounds like a bit of a self serving git to me.

Don't panic by the way, he's known I think this for ages now. Hasn't he?

Kevevs
    Free Member

I thought god was in a piece of toast, or was it in marmite?

The whole thing about "god" is it's a word, and as such must have "meaning" and explaination and verbal discussion, connotation, points of view and dictionary definitions, etc. The whole human thing we create to comunnicate.

Personally, I think it's beyond all that, all reason and discussion and human comprehension, and that means it has no definition. Therefore "god" does not "exist" as we know it, as to exist, we HAVE to explain it right? it's a conundrum. but we have to put it down on paper right, and argue on forums? or something maaan! I suppose that's where "spirituality" comes in, but that's another word..etc etc

I like the saying "God exists in the detail" cos when you look at something enough you see the indescribable beauty and can't help but wonder. But there's that word again "god". I prefer the word "it". I believe in "it", but the word "believe" has definitions, connotations etc. so it never ends, cos we have to use feeble language.

I like Bill Hick's idea- we're all stupid, but one day we'll all evolve into one conciousness and zoom off into the cosmos and infinity exploring forever together.

I like "be excellent to each other… and party on dudes!" though 🙂 if only it were so easy.

Kevevs
    Free Member

hmm, I just read that back. I'm right, it's a conundrum !

TheFlyingOx

TheFlyingOx

Oh wait… not that kind of smashing…

duckman

don't we all speak for ourselves? If someone says god is worthless, it's their opinion and doesn't legislate for anyone else. My position is that gods are irrelevant. I mean, if you only behave well because of some theoretical punishment or reward hereafter, it's merely self seeking hypocrisy.

Fair enough,but what about when people put remarks,cartoons etc designed to try and offend other members of the stw forum?I have noticed this becoming an almost daily thread now.Are people on here so hung up on what woppit would have us believe is the all prevading influence of Chrstianity in 2010, that it is the no1 choice of topic in the chat forum?
    Tell you what;WHY don't some of the above post some cartoons of the prophet on here,I will link them to one of the many Sharia websites in the UK.Surely since so many of you hate the fact some of us are religious you will want to make a stand against the fastest growing religion in the UK? Or do you lack the courage of your convictions?

votchy
    Free Member

Tell you what;WHY don't some of the above post some cartoons of the prophet on here,I will link them to one of the many Sharia websites in the UK.Surely since so many of you hate the fact some of us are religious you will want to make a stand against the fastest growing religion in the UK? Or do you lack the courage of your convictions?

Mmmmm – religion and fighting, this seems to be a recurring theme

Personally, I don't believe but at the same time have no issues with anyone who does, as they say it takes all sorts…

TheFlyingOx

Fair enough,but what about when people put remarks,cartoons etc designed to try and offend other members of the stw forum?I have noticed this becoming an almost daily thread now.Are people on here so hung up on what woppit would have us believe is the all prevading influence of Chrstianity in 2010, that it is the no1 choice of topic in the chat forum?

Chill out, buddy.

How come it's fine for my choice in footwear, or my choice in bike, or my choice in hairstyle to be ridiculed/praised as is every individual's wont? And how come I don't get all up in arms about it when it happens? They're my beliefs, in that I believe they're best for me and I'm quite prepared to expound their benefits to others. And that's pretty much what religion is. Why does religion get special dispensation? Is it just cos it's been around (in however many forms) longer than Five-Tens or Pronghorn or the "business up front, party round the back" Euromullet? Is it due to number of believers? What is it?

anonymouse
    Free Member

I don't think it is in a special category that is above criticism. Although I am a Christian I accept that many others are not and that they hold different views. I also believe in being nice to people though. It seems to me that there's a bit too much name-calling and aggressive posturing on both sides for this discussion to be truly polite. We've all been warned to calm down once. Still, that's the internet for you.

TheFlyingOx

Yeah, but if this thread was about my Pronghorn, and 50 posters came onboard showing cartoonified horribly mangled gonads, and torn ballsacks, and ridiculing me for buying a bike with the shock so perilously close to my bits, would it be "close to being locked" with members threatened of being banned for a long time? I doubt it. Not for the mocking nature of their posts, at least. Graphic representation of blood loss via the nether regions might earn a time-out or two.

For what it's worth, I was born and raised in a religious family. I just really don't get the whole "I'm being oppressed/respect my beliefs" thing that happens every time someone has a pop at religion. (Wo)Man up and accept that different people have different values. They'll get theirs on Judgment Day anyway, so why the fuss?

duckman

I don't think religion is a special category,wouldn't use stw if I did.And ox,I am chilled I am used enough to it being a constant target on here.I have never seen any special dispensation on here towards Christianity,nor have I asked for any,perhaps you could point out to me some examples where it has taked place.People seem to have these high and mighty ideals about being totally anti-religion,but Christianity is the target they aim at.I wonder why there are no anti-islam cartoons above? Just wondering like….

You have a pronghorn?….I wondered who bought it! Oh wait,you ARE the importer, surely?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Listen you lot, I've got some some surprising news about God.

She's black.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I'll admit that I started this thread as a bit of a wind up / p**s take, but to be honest, I was also trying to prove a point. As someone else on here has already said, the amount of anti religious rhetoric posted on this forum over the past few days has been surprising, to say the least. I 'admitted' to being a catholic on one of the 'catholic priests / paedophilea' threads, recieving a right shoeing in the process, eventually losing my rag and trying to defend myself in an admittedly less than ideal manner. However, at no stage have I attempted to 'ram my opinion down others throats' as is the oft quoted remark from a lot of posters. Is religion the last insultable topic left standing? I'm fairly positive that no right thinking person on here would even think of posting comments belittling people because of their sexuality or ethnicity, so what makes it alright for people to do that regarding other's faith / beliefs? I'm not for a second trying to provoke further arguments, just trying to get my point across.

tazzymtb

"Catholics" and "ramming down throats" are probably not phrases that should be used in same sentence, given all the priestly goings on at the moment 😉

with regards to the "we poor christians every one picks on us not the muslims etc.." argument I think you'll find that if anyone from another faith had popped up in the conversation they would have a received a similar poking with a stick to see what happens.

There are fundamentalists on all sides of the argument, but I don't understand why folks get upset about it. If you faith is strong, it needs no proof and if you are correct than you may go to which ever heaven/afterlife your particular belief system has in store for you and all the doubters will burn in whichever hell etc..

If it turns out you were wrong, you'll be dead anyway so what's the problem?

personally I think most folks with religion are just a bit worried sub-consciously that they missing some fun somewhere so they want everyone to part of their clique so we can all be bloomin miserable/controlled/part of the gang.

I still hold to "just be excellent to each other and party on"

yoshimi

I like the saying "God exists in the detail" cos when you look at something enough you see the indescribable beauty and can't help but wonder. But there's that word again "god". I prefer the word "it". I believe in "it", but the word "believe" has definitions, connotations etc. so it never ends, cos we have to use feeble language.

I also belive in 'It'. I do have trouble with the whole 'what existed before'. For example, the big bang that apparantly created everything – where did the dynamite come from?

tazzymtb

and I think you'll find that there a loads of insultable topics, just look at any single speed, 29er, body armour wearing trail center idiots topic, it's just that you expect special treatment for you belief in a god, rather than my belief that 29er's are great bikes which is open to as much abuse as possible. just stop being so precious and folks will stop taking the pi$$ quite so much 🙄

TheFlyingOx

I don't think religion is a special category,wouldn't use stw if I did.And ox,I am chilled I am used enough to it being a constant target on here.I have never seen any special dispensation on here towards Christianity,nor have I asked for any,perhaps you could point out to me some examples where it has taked place.People seem to have these high and mighty ideals about being totally anti-religion,but Christianity is the target they aim at.I wonder why there are no anti-islam cartoons above? Just wondering like….

You have a pronghorn?….I wondered who bought it! Oh wait,you ARE the importer, surely?

Hehe. I'm not trying to offend. If anything I'm having a little trouble getting the right tone on here, as I'm also in the middle of a "Westboro Baptist-esque Christian Militia" vs "Dawkins Is God (no, wait…) Atheist Guerrillas"-type fight on another forum. Now that has some choice contributions, I can tell you.
    And I hope you realise I've said nothing either for or against Christianity (or any other religion, for that matter). The cartoon was just the first thing I thought of when I read "God is smashing". I'm just trying to question the eggshells that any religious discussion has to tread on so as not to be deemed offensive: the bar always seems to be set that little bit lower.

And no, I'm nothing to do with Pronghorn, importing, selling or otherwise. I just tried one and loved it more than any other full-sus I've ever ridden. I'm intrigued by you referring to it in the singular though… I'm also aware that I have a quite similar username to the place that does sell them. I assure you this is entirely coincidental.

Tell you what;WHY don't some of the above post some cartoons of the prophet on here,I will link them to one of the many Sharia websites in the UK.Surely since so many of you hate the fact some of us are religious you will want to make a stand against the fastest growing religion in the UK?

Why can't xtians make their own death threats ?

backhander
    Free Member

HE? Earth mother is a woman.

duckman

Tazzy,I think you will find the Christians on these threads are actually the ones NOT being precious.Not resorting to petty insults etc.

Ox,surely there is only one in the country?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"just stop being so precious and folks will stop taking the pi$$ quite so much"
    As I've said on numerous occasions, I wasnt being precious, I was just trying to say that (a) not all catholics believe in sanctioning or covering up paedophilia, and (b) it's not 'alright' to rip into people because their beliefs dont match your own. I dont expect any kind of 'special treatment', I just think it's unfair that any mention of having 'faith' (for want of a better expression) will at worst lead to vitriol and abuse, and at best, condesenscion. And for the record, I dont believe I'm missing out on any fun, my beliefs are only one part of what makes me the person I am.

tazzymtb

it's not 'alright' to rip into people because their beliefs enjoyment of riding different bikes, ideas of what makes a perfect ride, taste in music etc…. don't match your own.

there would be no forum discussion left and it certainly wouldn't be as much fun 🙁

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Because that's just the same thing isn't it?

TheFlyingOx

Ox,surely there is only one in the country?

Hey! I know they're ugly, but surely they're not so bad that only the blind and misguided would buy one. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Dammit, where was I all last night?!

Who the Fug is he, this god geeza btw

Saladdodger is Oolon Colluphid and I claim my 5 altairean dollars.

As for insulting religion – it's fairly obvious that religious beliefs are more important to some folk than their hairstyle or clothes. So yes, it deserves more respect.

Although to be honest, if I was ribbing someone about their choice of bike and they got genuinely upset, I'd stop and apologise, and mean it. Because I believe in being nice.

And I feel pretty inspired by the way most people here have handled themselves on this most tricky of subjects.. Not often you get to have a discussion about it really.

I think Jo Burt had it right – "God is whatever you want her to be".

So, who has got the best imaginary friend then ?

TheFlyingOx

As for insulting religion – it's fairly obvious that religious beliefs are more important to some folk than their hairstyle or clothes. So yes, it deserves more respect.

So you're saying that it's more okay to rib someone because of their hairstyle/clothing/whatever-as-long-as-it-has-no-basis-in-religion than it is because of their religious beliefs, regardless of the fact that the hurt caused could be equally damaging in both cases?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why can't xtians make their own death threats ?

their belief forbids it ?

avdave2

All these threads and all this time and not one sanctimonious smile has been wiped from the face of a single believer and not one hell bound heathen has seen the light.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, I'm saying that hurt is less likely to be caused on the same level if you rib someone for say their clothes. If it is, you should apologise just the same.

Because hurting others is bad – do I need to point this out?

chewkw
    Free Member

Nothing to do with me even if s/he is smashing because that's hers/his.

So, god, move on nothing to see here.

😆

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Can I just point out that the thread title was supposed to be ironic.

TheFlyingOx

No, I'm saying that hurt is less likely to be caused on the same level if you rib someone for say their clothes. If it is, you should apologise just the same.

Because hurting others is bad – do I need to point this out?

No mate. I'm just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse 😈

Killing time until my ride home gets here, if you will. 15 days at work, and I'm spent!

ethicsgradient
    Free Member

No mate. I'm just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse

Two weeks in solitary!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can I just point out that the thread title was supposed to be ironic

you mean you don't think that ?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘God – he's smashing isn't he?’ is closed to new replies.